SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

StellaLyra Classical Cassegrain & Ritchey-Chrétien Telescopes

FLO

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Think the 8” CC is a bit much for a GP mount. My CC weighs about 11kg but that is with tube rings and handle and Steeltrack focuser. Probably about 10kg without. 🤔

1A91E32E-D309-4E5B-AD8A-997E59F91A0A.jpeg

Thanks, I thought it would be tight... shame, I could see myself really enjoying it, on a tracked mount.. there's always the skytee though..

1 minute ago, Lockie said:

Ooops! The collimation video I saw was for the CC come to think of it. I didn't realise the RC would be a trickier beast! Still I'm hoping by making any adjustments small things shouldn't go too horribly wrong.... in theory 🤣

When you come to collimate it, we here at SGL will be right behind you. About 100 m 🙀

Don't worry, Chris, I'm sure it can't be that bad 🙂

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ThunderstruK said:

definitely looking for speed over focal length

Natively, this definitely points towards the Newtonian over the RC. Imaging Newts tend to be around f4 to f5 with focal lengths below 1000mm, whereas an 8RC for example is f8 @ 1600mm focal length. The RC can of course be reduced down to f6 @ 1200mm with the 0.75 reducer from FLO or f5.4 @ 1070mm with the CCDT67 reducer. The RC has a much flatter field of view natively from what I read, whereas fast Newts have quite a bit of coma, but again there are coma correctors for Newts that do a good job. 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Will be trying the CC 6” on my AZ-GTi mount with the TS counterbalance system which lets you achive oerfect balance and greatly reduces the load on the motors which also allows for a heavier OTA.

Well how very clever!

31 minutes ago, Lockie said:

The RC has a much flatter field of view natively from what I read, whereas fast Newts have quite a bit of coma, but again there are coma correctors for Newts that do a good job. 

I don't want to go off on a tangent, but I've read so many differing reports on this. I've always thought RCs have a flat field but I read several reports saying that RCs still display coma, although the centre of the stars stay in the 'correct' position (whereas they don't in a Newt)? Given that most people use reducers with RCs anyway, perhaps it doesn't matter and I should stop worrying?  😋

2 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I don't want to go off on a tangent, but I've read so many differing reports on this. I've always thought RCs have a flat field but I read several reports saying that RCs still display coma, although the centre of the stars stay in the 'correct' position (whereas they don't in a Newt)? Given that most people use reducers with RCs anyway, perhaps it doesn't matter and I should stop worrying?

RC telescopes have curved field. They have decent size of corrected field and this is where confusion comes - field is almost flat in large portion. They don't suffer from coma but suffer astigmatism instead. This is symmetrical aberration and for that reason much better for scientific measurements.  This is why are RC scopes preferred as observatory scopes - decent size almost flat field without need for refractive elements (which means there won't be distortions in UV and IR part of spectrum) and astrometry precision due to symmetric primary aberration.

RC8", from what I've read, gets along very nicely with FF/FRs designed for F/7-/F8 refractors. For example Riccardi x0.75 FF/FR - both flattens the field and acts as reducer.

I will try my RC8" with TSRed2 x0.79 as soon as I get the chance to see how the two get along.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

RC telescopes have curved field. They have decent size of corrected field and this is where confusion comes - field is almost flat in large portion. They don't suffer from coma but suffer astigmatism instead. This is symmetrical aberration and for that reason much better for scientific measurements.  This is why are RC scopes preferred as observatory scopes - decent size almost flat field without need for refractive elements (which means there won't be distortions in UV and IR part of spectrum) and astrometry precision due to symmetric primary aberration.

RC8", from what I've read, gets along very nicely with FF/FRs designed for F/7-/F8 refractors. For example Riccardi x0.75 FF/FR - both flattens the field and acts as reducer.

I will try my RC8" with TSRed2 x0.79 as soon as I get the chance to see how the two get along.

Looking forward to your Testing and report Vlav. I was thinking of trying my Skywatcher 0.85 FF/FR when i get the time.

John

As I'm only really interested in visual observing, not imaging, I'd be better off with the CC8" rather then the RC8" ? It sounds easier to use and maintain too (collimation).

@FLOIt's not mentioned on the listings, but do these come with any sort of case/storage, or just supplied as bare OTAs ? The StellaMira did come with a nice aluminium carry case, which I do use occasionally, but not a deal breaker.

Edited by HollyHound

StellaLyra 6” CC arriving by DHL on Tuesday. 🥳

And weather forecast is suitably grim for the week ahead. 😢

And on a positive note now sold some items which will cover the cost of the new scope. 🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/10/2020 at 16:21, HollyHound said:

As I'm only really interested in visual observing, not imaging, I'd be better off with the CC8" rather then the RC8" ? It sounds easier to use and maintain too (collimation). 

For visual use we recommend one of the the Classical Cassegrain models. They have a hyperbolic secondary and parabolic primary. Their high contrast and long focal ratios make them especially good for lunar and planetary observing, and imaging. They don't need a large glass corrector so are less prone to dew than a SCT or Maksutov. The open tube design also cools quicker and the fixed primary means no mirror flop. They are also less collimation sensitive than the Ritchey-Chrétien models. There is a lot to like 🙂 

On 10/10/2020 at 16:21, HollyHound said:

@FLOIt's not mentioned on the listings, but do these come with any sort of case/storage, or just supplied as bare OTAs ? The StellaMira did come with a nice aluminium carry case, which I do use occasionally, but not a deal breaker.

They don't include a case. We will look at making cases available separately. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Just pulled the trigger on a Stellalyra 6 f12 CC. Ooops! ;) 

Now to decide which scope must go to make space for it? 🤔

Super! Hope you get some great views of Mars.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Super! Hope you get some great views of Mars.

Yeah, will be the first thing I aim at. Seen some pretty good views already with my existing scopes (jetstream not withstanding), but hoping this one blows them away. 🤞🏻

No way is ot only 7.3”. The guy who came up with the 7.3” calculated it rather than properly measured it and simply got his sums wrong not being familiar with the Classical Cassegrain design I assume.

Edited by johninderby