Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rigel Quikfinder on a 200 dob...frustrating!

well,i`m back on my thread....gorilla tape attached Rigel finder stuck on...scope stored vertically,been that way for a week or so...came down yesterday morning,glanced at the scope...Rigel finder hanging off,not quite ready for the fall to the floor but oh so close!...pushed it back on to the gorilla tape applied firm pressure for 20 seconds,gave a slight pull with fingers and the tape isn`t as adhesive as i hoped...it peeled of a smidge towards the back of the Rigel..and the front of the Rigel sits overlapping the black metal scope trim..so thats not sitting flush...any suggestions people?..shall i relocate the finders footprint somewhere else on the scope with fresh tape? i thought gorilla tape was rock solid?

Mark

5 minutes ago, starboy71 said:

well,i`m back on my thread....gorilla tape attached Rigel finder stuck on...scope stored vertically,been that way for a week or so...came down yesterday morning,glanced at the scope...Rigel finder hanging off,not quite ready for the fall to the floor but oh so close!...pushed it back on to the gorilla tape applied firm pressure for 20 seconds,gave a slight pull with fingers and the tape isn`t as adhesive as i hoped...it peeled of a smidge towards the back of the Rigel..and the front of the Rigel sits overlapping the black metal scope trim..so thats not sitting flush...any suggestions people?..shall i relocate the finders footprint somewhere else on the scope with fresh tape? i thought gorilla tape was rock solid?

Mark

Mine sits flush to the tube and has stayed solid. The scope lives in the dining room when it's not in use with both the finders removed  :dontknow:

Other forms of adhesive tape are available.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John said:

Other forms of adhesive tape are available.

I use the little white sellotape double sided sticky foam thingies, from a local stationer, similar to the items that the Quickfinder came with. Works OK.

• Like 1

As mentioned by @johninderby & myself. The silicone blobs are a very good way of securing the base to the tube. I used the standard sticky tape which fell off, Then a stronger number plate tape, Which fell off also. I believe it this might have been due to the temperature getting very hot in my utility room. 

I then went the route of sticking the bases on my scopes by filling the hollows with clear silicone. A couple of hours cure time and both bases are solid and haven't moved since. It also make removing the actual finder much easier as well, The base doesn't try to come off with it 🙂  

I picked up a cheap tube of silicone for about £2

Cheers

Baz

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I must be the metal tubes causing the issues.  My Dob's tube is Sonotube and has no such issues.  It also has no dewing issues, either.  It also never gets cold to the touch in winter.

Mine is aluminum. No problems once I had used better double sided tape.

My 130mm refractor tube is Kruppax 50 - it simply does not dew up in any weather.