Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The nights are drawing in

TerryMcK

This weekend sees the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the beginning shortening of days of course.

I’m not sure how many weeks it will be until the return of Astro dark skies in my latitude but I’m looking forward to it. I have been able to image with the little dark we get at this time of the year but probably 3 hours per night (at most) before the big star reappeared.

• Like 1

I prefer the cooler (cold) weather the rest of the year.  Summer can be too warm, full of midges and horseflies for me, as I've got ponies. I like the starry nights!

I always find late August to late September as the best time of year.  There is a good amount of darkness but can still be pleasantly warm.  We can have decent spells of weather at this time of the year and there's generally a good variety of targets to observe.

Late August through September into October, as the summer constellations rise late and start moving west, the nights are getting dark earlier, so very nearly keeping up.

Good grief it's only just started, garden looking splendid and so peaceful sitting out. Nope I'm not wishing it away so long may it stay - it will be dark for long enough when it comes. :) 

Jim 

I love the light nights and warm, even hot weather. I hate short days and cold weather. Though most days from April onward are shorts days for me.

Long live the (summer) solstice!!! :)

Actually, I don't mind autumn. Getting dark about 8 or 9 pm and not freezing cold. Best conditions for stargazing too.