Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please tell me it isn't just me with cloud

MartinB

I haven't seen a star since 18th December. Whilst images have been flooding into SGL I've been in complete murk. Right now I have 100% cloud cover despite the bbc telling me it's clear sunshine. I have to judge 100+ images once a fortnight for pic of the week and read about complaints of poor seeing, cloud rolling in and it being cold. Oh, to have a clear sky for the cloud to roll into :)

What's worse for the past 2 weeks the forecasts have promised completely clear skies in 2 days time. I know it's nonesense but I can't supress the kindling of hope.

Is it just North Derbyshire or has anyone else been cloud bound during the recent clear spells?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have been the same Martin, to the point of giving up , of course we have had a few clear spells ,but midnight on is no good for me, but at last i did get out last night, but the lack of good clear skies are holding me back for further progress, when i do get a clear night i just want to grab any image as quick as possible, should,nt be like that should it ,lol.

:)

Belfast is my location and it's bad too, hence filling my time sorting out the equipment.

Metcheck for the past week has given clear skies, BBC given cloud. On all occasions the weather has been cloudy. I bet any money it'll be clear tonight because I've other plans which means I won't get out imaging.

Adam

of course we have had a few clear spells

Not here we haven't, zilch at any time of night

Belfast is my location and it's bad too, hence filling my time sorting out the equipment.

Well done for staying positive Adam

" you are not alone"................................ I haven't seen a patch of blue sky or had a clear night since around the 18th too :) West Yorkshire- In spite of optimistic forecasts. :shock:

It's the darned Pennines hoovering up all the cloud from the Easterly high Karlo. Always the same with this weather system. Don't the meteorologists ever consider the effect of hills?

God I'm grumpy, I need to buy some kit. Oh can't do that with the pound being in the state it's in....

I know what you mean here in Newport South wales.................... Until last night And I have to admit that Orion was stunning lol.

Mind you it was an close call it was a cloudless day then at dusk the clouds rolled until half eleven then it cleared up.

I had a great night out last night. I set up at 5pm and it totally clouded over so I went inside, checking every now and again with no luck, I went outside to take the gear down about half 10 and it was clear and stayed that way all night. Transparency wasn't the best but it wasn't too bad either, damn cold though!!!!

I think I've been out 3 times in the last month or so. Considering this is high season for astronomy, that's a bit pants. Hence, I try and make the most of it by imaging and observing at the same time and staying out as late as I can. Last night was pretty good though and sure enough, the forecast says it should be clear but I'm not so confident gazing out of the window to a blanket of cloud atm....

Fingers crossed we all get a good few nights in soon!

Tony..

My location is surrounded by mountains, so it acts like the nozzle of a giant hoover tube sucking all the gunge over our heads.

We've had some wonderful clear skies of late, but as soon as night falls, so does the cloud cover..

All I need to do is test my Bat Mask. SteveL's pased with honours, so I don't see mine being any different, but I would like to see how it works.

Ron.

Been pants here too over the Christmas/New Year period. Boxing day evening/night was good, but I took a friend to the airport, so could only get an hour of naked eye astronomy in. Last night I went back to the airport to pick them up, weather forcast said sharp frost with clear skies, great I thought, might see several meteors and the outburst of U Gem (which I've not seen for over 10 years now).

I drove through the counties of Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire with total cloud cover there and back. Only the tinest breaks in the cloud visible.

Martin I'm just down the road from you in Stockport, 26th. 27th,28th & 29th were all clear here I cannot believe you didnt get one of those dates clear :shock:

That's the problem here George. You are to the west of the big lumps in the ground. If I drive 20miles or so west I know I will be under clear skies. My sister lives in Marple and the difference in weather is amazing. You have more rain but but we get a shed load of cloud whenever high pressure develops. Can you imagine how frustrating it is to know that just a few miles away there are clear skies.

Pretty clear here last night but I had to watch my hero in "World's Strongest Man" - I was so tired by the effort, I fell asleep in the chair :)

Supposed to be clearish till about 9pm but having looked at the satellite images and had a quick look outside, I think the comfy chair is favourite again.

Mike

I managed to get out last night, first time since boxing day. Only to have equipment issue preventing play!!!

Just south of me, in Kent, Steve (Kai) has had a several clear nights - he can only be 10 miles as the crow flies... it is annoying.

Ant

Mike, your stickyup bits are my problem too :)

The clouds have to dump all their moisture AKA rain on me to get over and seeing as I'm surrounded more or less on 3 sides by those godamned stickup bits its can be very wet and grey down here.

Mind you..when all the ice caps have finished melting its only a 20 minute drive to a nice, dry & high observing site :laughing2:

It was clear here last night, first time in about 2 weeks, and I made the most of it :) I'd been on the verge of packing it all in too, let's just hope that we've had 2 years worth of cloud and now we'll have a cracking 2009.

Peter; I managed to try out the mask on my ZS80 - WOW is focusing easy now. It took 5 minutes to get perfect focus and 3 minutes of that was trying to get focus without the extension - doh! I'll post some pics in the mask thread for you later - miles out, slightly out, slightly out the other way and bang on.

Cheers,

Ian

Archived