NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mastering PixInsight - and the art of Astroimage processing

wimvb

Today, my digital copy of Rogelio Bernal Andreo's book arrived. This version of his book has 407 pages (excluding the reference guide) packed with information from this famous astrophotographer.

After a first casual reading, I must say I like this book a lot. It provides what Warren Keller's book, in my opinion, is missing:  in depth descriptions of how pixinsight tools can be used in a workflow. How pixinsight methods and scripts can be used to get a job done, rather than describing what a method/script does. While Keller's book is an excellent first reference of the various tools, Andreo's book goes further by using those tools on images. The perspective is shifted from methods descriptions to image processing.

Rather surprisingly, this book is not only about Pixinsight. One chapter is dedicated to integrating a sequential workflow within Pixinsight with a parallel workflow using PS or GIMP. This chaper only provides an overview of such a workflow. It could be expanded upon, in my opinion.

The printed version is expected to arrive just before summer, and will also contain a long reference of pixinsight methods, the digital version of which will be sent separately to those who have preordered the book.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the heads up @wimvb. Just ordered the digital copy. I went to get print and digital but the additional $38 shipping was a bit too much at the moment. May have been an error so I'll check back in the summer if I feel the digital copy needs supplemented 🙂 (as they really rather sold me on the potential quality of the print edition)

I've received my PDFs now and agree with all the above sentiment - first impressions are very good.  Rogelio was kind enough to reply to a few queries I had and for the shipping cost - it's accurate as the unfortunate cost of shipping the print copy from California to UK/Europe.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/04/2020 at 19:17, geeklee said:

the additional $38 shipping was a bit too much at the moment. 

I have received the PDF also with the intention of paying the extra $30 for the print edition but really will be an extra £68 with the shipping.

I wonder if enough of us on SGL buy the digital copy we can get a huge discount on the shipping to ship all to one address then distribute from there ? Should be cheaper.

Also will there be import duty on that as well, if so that is getting a serious cost for a book, maybe just print the pdf's out.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

wonder if enough of us on SGL buy the digital copy we can get a huge discount on the shipping to ship all to one address then distribute from there ? Should be cheaper.

Maybe something for our sponsor to pick up?

• Like 2

Thanks to your positive review, even I ordered the pdf, being a stubborn PS user who so far only do cherry picking of PI processes like DBE, SCNR and HDRM. OK, I also do all my callibration and stacking in PI.....

Edited by gorann
  • Haha 1

I've only started to skim my digital copy but I can already see how useful the additional reference guide is going to be. I was expecting as fairly short second book but its 263 pages on its own! Nicely written too. More conversational than lecturing.

• Like 2

I have pushed the button on a license for PI and at the same time purchased the pdf version of this book.

My first impression is that the narrative is bit more easy going than Inside Pixinsight, which suits me fine.

• Like 3

Well, well, well.........................mr mrs just purchased me the digital copy, im so shocked :) can not wait to start getting into this book and revisiting all of my data, Rogelio you are a legend sir!

• Like 2

Very interesting!  I have Warren Keller's book (both editions) and love it but I can see that I shall want to go beyond that in the future.  I like proper printed books though which I can read at the same time as running the software on the computer and monitor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomato said:

I have the PDF open on a little tablet, next to my processing PC, but I’m old enough to prefer the printed page.

I'm trying to tell myself I'll manage with the same setup.... but I'd also prefer the printed copy when working on an image.  It's age for me too.... isn't it... 😅

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, geeklee said:

I'm trying to tell myself I'll manage with the same setup.... but I'd also prefer the printed copy when working on an image.  It's age for me too.... isn't it... 😅

I am the same, no matter how I try I just do not seem to enjoy reading on-line documents like I do with a book, and yes I think it is an age thing, but also I do not think it is a bad thing, there is just something about a book that a screen cannot replace.

I think it is like downloads and vinyl. Yes the download is much easier and the quality is even better but look now how many are going back to vinyl.

Steve 

• Like 2

I understand that you can get a free download version of Pixinsight, would this offer significant advantages over Adobe Lightroom, which I already have.

I should stress that I'm not interested in spending hours stacking, and processing images, just want spend a few minutes to improve brightness, contrast etc., of short exposure deep sky, lunar, and planetary images taken with a digital SLR. 

John