SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

looking for Help with first telescope

tho getting a camera could be next year or end of this year, i wanna learn how to use and navigate the night sky before i start trying to learn another thing, i dont want to over whelm my self with to much stuff to learn at once

Oh ok then we’ll its definitely worth considering the celestron (Advanced VX 8”Sct cassagrain as good beginner to intermediate starting point it’s slighty over budget at £1595 at Rotherham valley optics it comes with the Advanced Equatorial mount with a payload capacity of nearly 14kg  This will allow manovability for Astro imaging and photography in the the furture a very versatile scope and is fully goto.also an advantage will be celestrons sky portal WiFi adapter which will enable you to use an iPad or phone to remotely control from the device ie whole night sky will be shown on app so it’s an question of just choosing an object you would like to observe and press goto and scope will point to object automatically and it’s very easy to use 

1 hour ago, Supernova74 said:

Oh ok then we’ll its definitely worth considering the celestron (Advanced VX 8”Sct cassagrain as good beginner to intermediate starting point it’s slighty over budget at £1595 at Rotherham valley optics it comes with the Advanced Equatorial mount with a payload capacity of nearly 14kg  This will allow manovability for Astro imaging and photography in the the furture a very versatile scope and is fully goto.also an advantage will be celestrons sky portal WiFi adapter which will enable you to use an iPad or phone to remotely control from the device ie whole night sky will be shown on app so it’s an question of just choosing an object you would like to observe and press goto and scope will point to object automatically and it’s very easy to use 

oh brilliant thank you i will look that up now 

57 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

I had to stand on a stool tonight 😂

Been there..  😉

To the OP; do note that schmidt-cassegrain telescopes are generally considered among the worst telescopes to start astro photography with, due to their long focal lengths (= high magnification = much more sensitive to tracking errors)

Re. The OP ....

For more than twenty years the SCT was the telescope of choice....I agree it’s not a perfect solution for today’s AP requirements, but it does meet the novice needs to view the planets and other Astronomical objects.

Obviously when the starter develops the necessary knowledge and skills he/ she many want to try other options.

IMHO an ED80 and a EQ5 type mount is a very good starting point.

(some things don’t change....back in the 1960’s we recommended the novice start with a 3” refractor or a 6” reflector.....some things never change.)

On 03/04/2020 at 20:38, Erling G-P said:

Been there..  😉

To the OP; do note that schmidt-cassegrain telescopes are generally considered among the worst telescopes to start astro photography with, due to their long focal lengths (= high magnification = much more sensitive to tracking errors)

I think that back in the film era of astrophotography, SCT tracking errors must have much less noticeable since they were very popular in the 80s and 90s for astrophotography.  You just had to be careful about trying to swing the camera through the fork mount.  Some didn't have enough clearance to do that.

On 03/04/2020 at 22:13, baticles said:

hmm i cant seem to find that scope got a link?

Sky-Watcher Skymax 127 OTA

look at firstlightoptics  and see  sky-watcher skymax 127 ota under telescopes-skywatcher, this was my first scope on an eq5 pro goto, still use it regularly and not going to bust the budget,  howver its possibly not everyones first choice, good luck