NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS)

I've just viewed the comment with my Tak 100mm refractor. Fairly strightforward to find as you say. I though M82 was brighter than the comet though, despite the comet being billed currently at mag 8.0 and M82 at Mag 8.4.

• Like 1

We had a cracking night here in Belfast,had the 12" dob out and must have spent 1 1/2 hours trying to see this comet,obviously was looking in the wrong spot,cause really should have been able to see it,m81 and m82 were easy as was m97 among'st others but not Atlas or Panstars......i put it down to not visual observing in a long time,and being to spoilt with goto,i some times wish i had never changed from only visual.

After the succesful observation on Friday, I had some difficulties to find the comet Saturday night. Last night however I was able to see the diffuse glow of C/2019 Y4 about 15' west of the star HR 3182 with my 10x50 binoculars, despite the moonlight. It's moving faster each day!

Another succesful observation of C/2019 Y4 last night, although this time some averted vision was required using my binos because of the increased interference of moonlight. The comet was now way past HR 3182, close to the mag 8.2 star HD 65871 (HIP 39616).

• Like 1

On this website, a graph displays the estimated light curve of C/2019 Y4 based on recent observations from the COBS and the MPC. Seems like the expectations are getting a bit more realistic: the peak brightness of the comet is now estimated to be around mag 0.0, with forward scattering maybe adding half a magnitude.

• Like 1

I've just picked the comet up with my 12 inch dob. Still does not seem that bright or striking to me even with a decent aperture. Transparency not that good though and a bright moon is over between Leo and Cancer.

Nice to see it again though. 

1 hour ago, John said:

I've just picked the comet up with my 12 inch dob. Still does not seem that bright or striking to me even with a decent aperture. Transparency not that good though and a bright moon is over between Leo and Cancer.

Nice to see it again though. 

Stellarium have it back to nearly mag' 14 now, they had it at mag' 8. something the other day :icon_scratch:

Dave

BAA have Atlas at Mag 7.  At this rate, it will be naked eye visible in about 2 weeks, just in time for the new moon.  May even get the scope out tomorrow night for a preview.

I think reports are starting to indicate that C/2019 Y4 Atlas might not achieve the brightness that some predicted. This information has been posted on my society website by Nigel Wakefield (who is also a member of this forum):

"There are reports coming in that indicate that the C/2019 Y4 has ceased brightening. There is speculation as to the cause but the dust production has dropped markedly so the nuclear magnitude appears to have fallen a little in consequence. It could be that the nucleus has turned so that a solid crust now faces the Sun. This crust is presumed to have formed when it was part of a larger comet as that neared the Sun and subsequently broke up. It's orbit matches very closely to a bright comet in 1844 and it is speculated that C/2019 Y4 and the 1844 comet are part of a parent body that split up a long time ago."

• Like 2

My attempt from last night.... first ever photo attempt at a comet; massively over-processed, but it's mine and I was so chuffed to even find it (assuming that it is the comet). ED 80 and Canon 5d3.

Comet ATLAS small file.jpg

Edited by City9Town0
  • Like 5

All very plausible.  Assuming the hypothesis is correct, the body should continue to rotate and when the 'soft' side faces the sun again, there will be far more energy to cause a much larger outburst.  Projections I've seen suggest max Mag 2 which will still be a memorable event.  Roll on May and clear skies.

Nice shot City9Town0, the tail is growing nicely and more photons will mean more resolution in the weeks to come.

Edited by verreli

18 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I am thinking of having a search for this comet tonigh along with C/2017 - I havent seen any comets before, Anything particular I need to look out for?

What equipment are you using? If you wait a few days, the Moon will be below the horizon during the first hours of astronomical darkness. That will make comet hunting a lot easier. Look out for a small, fuzzy patch of light. Small apertures won't reveal a tail or other details. Since the desintegration of C/2019 Y4 the brightness has plummeted (it's now mag 9.8), so bear in mind that it might be difficult to spot, depending on the conditions. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Waddensky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddensky said:

What equipment are you using? If you wait a few days, the Moon will be below the horizon during the first hours of astronomical darkness. That will make comet hunting a lot easier. Look out for a small, fuzzy patch of light. Small apertures won't reveal a tail or other details. Since the desintegration of C/2019 Y4 the brightness has plummeted (it's now mag 9.8), so bear in mind that it might be difficult to spot, depending on the conditions. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Thank you. I will be using my 8" dob so hopefully have a chance of catching it.

It might be wise to wait until the moon has gone below the horizon though as you have mentioned 🙂

Baz

• Like 1

Its rather faint and getting fainter now I think. Fainter than M81 and M82 (harder to see than those at least) and somewhat smaller. You scope should show it but it wont be obvious and higher magnification will help to tease it out of the background sky. I found around 80x helped when I last observed it with my 12 inch dob. A small, indistinct misty patch with a slightly condensed centre.

Its breaking up apparently but I guess it could still do something unexpected ?

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/comet-atlas-will-it-become-a-naked-eye-object/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, John said:

Its rather faint and getting fainter now I think. Fainter than M81 and M82 (harder to see than those at least) and somewhat smaller.

That's pretty much consistent with my feelings when I imaged it last night.  It appears to be getting more diffuse and the brighter core looks to have become smaller.

James

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 17:00, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I am thinking of having a search for this comet tonigh along with C/2017 - I havent seen any comets before, Anything particular I need to look out for?

Regards

Baz

Yes...something exceptionally faint and fuzzy from my recent sightings. It wont look like a traditional comet, in fact, you probably won't even notice it unless you know exactly where to find it..which is pretty easy. 

Prove me wrong and report back!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MKHACHFE said:

To the member who said its harder to see than M81 and 82...yes, I agree.  Much harder. In fact those 2 positively pop out in comparison. 

That's a bummer. I have struggled to hunt down M81 & 82 on a few occasions. It doesn't bode well for the comet for me 😁

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

That's a bummer. I have struggled to hunt down M81 & 82 on a few occasions. It doesn't bode well for the comet for me 😁

yeah...rest assured there are many amateur astronomers who are disappointed with ATLAS..me included. I saw it twice maybe 10 days ago and the only box it ticked is the one labelled "At least I located it". 

• Like 1