Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS)

Had success yesterday night and I couldn’t be happier. I was all out of control and posted my report as a reply in Celestial Events Heads Up. Sorry.

I posted it as a reply to a member in that forum, and now realise it should probably be here... or in both. I will let others decided. 
Considering the comet may be no more soon, I am soooo happy. The star hop was the hardest I have ever done. 
Marv

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Had success yesterday night and I couldn’t be happier. I was all out of control and posted my report as a reply in Celestial Events Heads Up. Sorry.

I posted it as a reply to a member in that forum, and now realise it should probably be here... or in both. I will let others decided. 
Considering the comet may be no more soon, I am soooo happy. The star hop was the hardest I have ever done. 
Marv

Congratulations, Marv. Great to hear of your success :D It’s a tricky spot now it’s dimming too. 

1 minute ago, Littleguy80 said:

Congratulations, Marv. Great to hear of your success :D It’s a tricky spot now it’s dimming too. 

I have been waiting for it t brighten enough so I can have a go with my gear, then the full moon turns up! At the same time the Comet disintegrated...... One last night of clear skies before bad weather for a week or more and I got my right eye ball on it, perhaps for the last time in history.

Marv

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Marv

Well done mate. Glad your perseverance paid off. 🙂

I just about got it on Monday night with my 10". It took a while to find as it's in a difficult part of the sky for star hopping, but after about 20 minutes of messing about I managed to see a large and very faint blob where it seemed reasonable that it should be with my 10mm SLV; it was just bright enough that I could be sure I wasn't imagining it, but no more than that. Such a shame if it's broken up, the reports I'd seen made me think I was going to see a second shadow in daylight.

• Like 2

I am quite excited that last night I managed to create video showing movement in Comet C/2019 Y4 ATLAS. Never done this before - link takes you to my video on YouTube - represents about 2.5 hours of images in 30 seconds. The amount of movement is small but if you watch the position of the nucleus relative to the two stars to its left then movement is clear during this time period. I also like the visible tail on right of nucleus. It is that visibility which has led to suggestions that comet is breaking up.

https://youtu.be/BfHtJKLO7ho

Andy

22 hours ago, spike95609 said:

I just about got it on Monday night with my 10". It took a while to find as it's in a difficult part of the sky for star hopping, but after about 20 minutes of messing about I managed to see a large and very faint blob where it seemed reasonable that it should be with my 10mm SLV; it was just bright enough that I could be sure I wasn't imagining it, but no more than that. Such a shame if it's broken up, the reports I'd seen made me think I was going to see a second shadow in daylight.

That's exactly my experience a few weeks ago when it was brighter with my 8 inch. Very well described.🙂