Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

Loopnova

Anyone else seen a black object fly across when viewing the moon? (+first moon pictures)

Posted (edited)

I've been watching the moon around the same time (19:10-19:30) for the last few evenings at around 19:20 a black object flies diagonally across it. I checked Stellarium and played the sky backwards but couldn't see any registered objects. Is it common to witness orbiting debris? I had wanted to take some pictures of it but it's just too fast and the focus on my phone is playing up at the moment so videos are useless. As a side note, I managed to get some lovely pictures of the moon (my first ever). Viewed with an Orion Optics 150/750 Europa series and unbranded 25mm and 10mm lenses. Did a bit of fiddling with the light levels on my phone too.

moon1reduced.png

moon2reduced.png

Edited by Loopnova
Reduced photo size
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Hi @Loopnova and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I have seen a few things do the 'fly by' thing. Things it maybe: birds, aircraft, ISS (Zaraya), other man-made satellites, space debris, etc.

A site worth checking out is: https://heavens-above.com/main.aspx

Edited by Philip R

I occasionally see a bat flit thru the view when I'm out, there's a couple that scoot around by my garden which teases the cats a lot lol

Seen a couple of birds fly across tonight.

Might even be one on the ser file I was capturing.

Nice pictures! I've seen some  flights of geese or swans  flit across and a couple of aircraft but all quite a rare event. Do remember that they jolted out my lunar reverie.

Cheers

Martin

I have seen a small round black object travel quite fast through the scope in front of the Moon before, only once though.  Difficult to say how far away it was and the scale of things but my best guess is that it was probably a lost helium balloon, otherwise as we know, there is a whole load of stuff flying about in Earth orbit. 

I've seen birds and planes while observing the moon (and also when observing the sun), but I haven't yet seen anything I thought was a satellite.

To be honest never seen anything go in front of the moon whilst viewing it, but I am normally taking pictures. Would love to get a plane or the ISS in one, but haven't been lucky enough. 

Impressed with the Moon pictures you have got with your phone. Still amazes me that phones can now get pictures like that. Very nice detail in the zoom picture!

Hopefully you will catch the dark thing in a picture 🤞

I’ve captured a balloon once, and some planes in daylight. The balloon came as a complete surprise. 

• Like 1

Saw a disc go in front of Jupiter a few years back. Certainly made for an interesting discussion online 🙂