NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star chart/guide recommendations

Hi everyone

I've been using a book called cluster, nebula and galaxies by PN shankar for locating objects .it's a guide to messier objects and contains a few bright ngc/Caldwell objects (around 10). 

I use mobile stellerium and other apps in the field but I really don't wanna use these apps and want to go back to using a guide chart cause there is detailed explanation and proper instructions given on how to locate the DSO and description of its appearance. Even surrounding field stars are shown . I find difficult to locate fainter ngc and Caldwell objects because of this reasons .

Can you'll recommend me a star chart/atlas ?

Thank you😊

Clear skies 

Edited by Nova2000

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas, for location and visibility with scopes of different apertures.

For descriptions of DSO's, nothing beats this, IMO:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/the-night-sky-observers-guide-volumes-1-2-and-3-book.html

Very precise comments on the appearance of DSOs, for small (4-6"), moderate (8" to 12") and large scopes (16" to 18"), along with finder charts and a lot of drawings.

Stephan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/03/2020 at 12:21, Nova2000 said:

interstellarum deep sky atlas. How's this book? Looks interesting

It's excellent! :) 

22 hours ago, fozzybear said:

have a look at this site and print your own

http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-atlas.html

This is also well made and free. Said this, it's a bit like Uranometria: very strong on DSO (e.g. galaxies), but a bit poor in terms on labelling and double stars.

1 hour ago, Nyctimene said:

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas, for location and visibility with scopes of different apertures.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/the-night-sky-observers-guide-volumes-1-2-and-3-book.html

Very precise comments on the appearance of DSOs, for small (4-6"), moderate (8" to 12") and large scopes (16" to 18"), along with finder charts and a lot of drawings.

Stephan

I've read very positive comments on those three volumes. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, estwing said:

Is it just me who doesn't like turn left at Orion?...uranometria all sky edition is what I use.

Turn left at Orion was one of the first books I bought. Although there is some valuable information, I never managed to take it to the field.. So.. yeah, I rarely use that book.

Do you also use U2k Guide? 

Yes!...I find it absolutely essential!.

The planning of a DSO night can't be underestimated because of lack of opportunities for some. Sort your targets out , then I check in the field guide to see what description is give..ie..faint arms with knots...or bulge to one side.

Not much point in spending precious time hunting for things that can't be detected or beyond your scopes capability. Adds to the information of the report you're writing too!...

• Like 4

On 07/03/2020 at 08:06, estwing said:

Yes!...I find it absolutely essential!.

The planning of a DSO night can't be underestimated because of lack of opportunities for some. Sort your targets out , then I check in the field guide to see what description is give..ie..faint arms with knots...or bulge to one side.

Not much point in spending precious time hunting for things that can't be detected or beyond your scopes capability. Adds to the information of the report you're writing too!...

And understanding your gear is a big part of that- fov for your eyepieces, magnifications etc.  All important for locating faint objects.

• Like 1

Got to echo #fozzybear I use the Michael Vlasov Deep sky hunter star atlas. I have printed mine, laminated each page which is essential here as dew would turn it to mush in ten minutes.

If I had my way I would have it in A3, laminated and choose the reverse white on black version, but that amount of black ink would cost a fortune.

All wrapped up in a plastic ring binder to protect from the dreaded moisture. All the info you need on the front page in pic 1. Pic 2, gives you some idea of detail using Cassiopeia as the target.

Marvin

0DFC4F4D-EEA0-4F5A-807F-0B58B5929578.jpeg

0AD33319-FDD0-4CF0-80A7-0038FBFA0F1F.jpeg

• Like 3

On 05/03/2020 at 10:30, Nyctimene said:

Stephan

I too have this set it's really good but if j want light weight I also use Orion deep sky 600 it fold down but open to a big 20x30 inches

joejaguar 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 08:49, estwing said:

Is it just me who doesn't like turn left at Orion?...uranometria all sky edition is what I use.

I had a copy (north) of that back in the 90's amazing detail, don't know what happened to still have my Norton's 2000 from then though, I swear I found three galaxies in Auriga but never found a reference to them since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1