Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie has spotted his first planet 🪐 tonight.

Mic2020

Well after days of setting up and doing the adjustment required and taking the advice given on here,  I have spotted Venus tonight. Yes I know it’s no big deal but for a newbie seeing your first planet it is amazing. What looks like a star a bright blip in the sky turns out to be a round/oval planet. Yes it was blurry but I was in a light polluted area, with cloud cover in parts but I could make it out using my Skywatcher 130P and 10mm skywatcher eye piece on a EQ 2 mount. 

looking forward to tomorrow night now.

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, Mic2020 said:

Thanks guys just need to get out to a dark sky area and experiment. I always get out early evening and spot Venus to the west of my place. The down side is it is a built up area. 

Good stuff, Venus is in a great place to observe currently. You don't need dark skies for the planets, infact observing in twilight can help cut the glare down.

The important thing is to get the best seeing conditions, avoid observing over roof tops, setup on grass if you can, catch the planets when they are at their highest etc etc.

Good luck!

On 25/02/2020 at 13:13, Mic2020 said:

Just waiting to see moon, it does not seem to be about these day 😂 

Fortunately, it follows a rather predictable cycle. :wink2:

But in all seriousness, congrats on your first planet. I recently viewed Venus while volunteering at a star party. I used my 13% transmission moon filter and it turned Venus from something that looked like an overexposed camera phone image into something where you could clearly discern the phase.

Edited by Beltalowda

Seeing your first planet is so motivating. I couldn’t believe how amazing it was to see Jupiter for the first time.

If you haven’t already, check out the Orion Nebula. That was even better than seeing my first planet!

clear skies!

• Like 3

It is an amazing feeling, just want clear skies so I can start discovering the night sky. I have bought the book Turn Left at Orion which was recommended and I have to say it is an interesting read. 

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

To get to know the sky is a wonderful thing. Congratulations on your discovery!

Do You already have Stellarium? It's a wonderful tool.
stellarium-001.png.17cd745e257ecc6a011f8872f182d665.png

It's free. Get it from Stellarium.org

No but will have a look at it. Thank you for the information.

On 25/02/2020 at 19:58, Mic2020 said:

Well after days of setting up and doing the adjustment required and taking the advice given on here,  I have spotted Venus tonight. Yes I know it’s no big deal but for a newbie seeing your first planet it is amazing. What looks like a star a bright blip in the sky turns out to be a round/oval planet. Yes it was blurry but I was in a light polluted area, with cloud cover in parts but I could make it out using my Skywatcher 130P and 10mm skywatcher eye piece on a EQ 2 mount. 

looking forward to tomorrow night now.

Brilliant and well done. Wait till you see saturn, you will never forget the first time you see saturn. 

• Like 1