Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laptop Protector/box

Stub Mandrel

Has   anyone made a good example of a 'laptop protector/box' for keeping the dew off etc. while allowing it to be used for  imaging. I imagine something that shields it a bit to stop dazzling and dew while enclosed to help keep it warm to max battery life.

I could do with some inspiration...

See blue box in mosaic of camping gear (DaveyT just in the FOV right.)  Mosaic join goes right through the laptop and the photos were not square to each other, so laptop and box look disorted in photo. 

Holes cut in the sides for cables and the green flaps come up and close when I leave the laptop running.

Other newbies at the same campsite have almost ruined laptops by not having a cover. 

Carole spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

I don't use a laptop for astronomy (I use Intel NUCs), but do so for cricket scoring where sunlight glare on laptop screen is a problem in open locations.

What I do there is use a fold-flat plastic storage box of the type supermarkets use for displaying vegetables. I cover this with a thin plastic sheet adhered to it to make it light and waterproof. 

This is similar to Davey-T's box contraption, but more robust and (almost) ready made. They come in a variety of sizes to suit small or large laptop. Cost around £3 from B & Q or Tesco. It neatly folds flat for transport or can be used for storage, so is dual purpose (I carry printer in it, then use it as a sunshade/laptop protector).

https://www.diy.com/departments/home-furniture-storage/storage-shelving/storage-crates/DIY1484069.cat

Edited by noah4x4

3 hours ago, KevS said:

Yes that's the one. I had used it a few times till Mrs Tomatobro pointed out that the stiff flap I used to rest the laptop on should be folded into the bottom to stiffen up the frame. The sides are stiff cardboard so I cut holes to suit the power and USB cables

Edited by Tomatobro
more info

Whilst my plastic boxes with flaps work well, I do have a problem when I use my dual rig inside my camping obsy.

I have to use 2 laptops as the downloads just hang if I try to download two cameras to one laptop.  

So I have two laptops either end of a table as you can see in my original image, Blue and green facing you and behind is a black and yellow one.  This meant I would have to hop from one end of the table to the other to check each laptop.

spacer.png

BUT

My camping obsy is not big enough to do this and the boxes slope so I can't place one on top of the other.  So recently I have simply been placing a blanket and waterproof over the two closed laptops and when I need to reach the one at the back it sits on top of the one in front.

So my latest idea, is a conversion of the heavy duty supermaket bags - yet to be tried out  See photo attached.  Basically I have expanded the bags with a V shape from a 2nd supermarket bag.  total cost = £1 for 2 bags.  

Not pretty but if it does the job it will also take up less packing space when I go to camp and enable me to put one laptop on top of the other.

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

When the laptop is closed the bag can be closed with a velcro "catch".  I have to admit to being able to sew though.

This is it closed.

Would have looked better if they had been from the same supermarket, but Morrison's had run out so had to get the other one from the co-op. 

Carole 

IMG_0956.JPG

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Has   anyone made a good example of a 'laptop protector/box' for keeping the dew off etc. while allowing it to be used for  imaging. I imagine something that shields it a bit to stop dazzling and dew while enclosed to help keep it warm to max battery life.

I could do with some inspiration...

This is my take on a laptop box, maybe of some help.