Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Missing plastic cap for black HEQ-5

NenoVento

Hi all,

Does any of you know how can I get hold of some plastic caps for my black HEQ-5?, I have a missing one and would hate to let the humidity and dirt get inside the head because of it...

This is the cap I'm talking about:

IMG_20191206_103318.jpg.fa02a1b7609b41e002bf60236ef717b0.jpg

And here is where it should fit:
IMG_20191206_103256_1.jpg.3aa0393c13d515648b281e07d6ce6392.jpg

Best regards,

NV

have you tried to contact any skywatcher dealer maybe they can order you that part on their next order. I cant see a cap being more than a $1 or 2 but atleast that way it will fit perfect verses kinda fit but may fall off sometimes.

joejaguar

I have struggled in the past with end caps and similar parts, not just for scopes.
There are companies who sell these sort of things. Usually in bags of 100 pieces or more!

These days I just go the 3D printer route.
From screw covers right up to scope tube caps, that I think are better than the originals.
During the summer I made caps for a 250mm newt  OTA.

Hope this helps, David.

11 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I have struggled in the past with end caps and similar parts, not just for scopes.
There are companies who sell these sort of things. Usually in bags of 100 pieces or more!

These days I just go the 3D printer route.
From screw covers right up to scope tube caps, that I think are better than the originals.
During the summer I made caps for a 250mm newt  OTA.

Hope this helps, David.

It certanily seems the way to go, 3D printing this kind of stuff. Actually, a friend of mine made a Duncan collimating mask for me to use in my SCT that works really well. However, as far as I can see, the 3D printers in the market, or at least the ones that are affordable, need a considerable amount of tweaking for them to work properly, which is fine if you are into this kind of hobby, but not so good if you are already struggling to find the time for stargazing...

Regards,

NV

@NenoVento

Yes it can be time consuming. You certainly can't justify the machine cost and time involved just for one or two things.
It is much better to offer someone local to you a few beers.
I have been using 3D printers occasionally at work for about 3 years, and I bought a cheapie for home.
For home use I have made replacements for broken car trim parts. Different feet for a TV sound bar. A roller blind pulley drive arrangement and lots more.

For astro.
A lift off end cap for the LS60 - great for a quick on/off during the day instead of the original screw on cap.
Small caps for lost/never supplied ends of finderscopes.
End cap for the 250 flextube.
Intermediate caps for the flextube. Skywatcher don't offer anything to keep the dust out of the gap.
Handset holder for the 250 dob.
Cable covers for the 250 dob. A much tidier dob base now.
Housings for 12V power connectors on lithium jump starts. To include PTC thermistor. A nice reliable and safe 12V outlet.
Somewhere in all of this I must find time to actually use the scopes!

David.

• Like 1

Hi all, finally my friend 3-D printed the cap for me and I am happy to report that it fits nicely where it was intended, as you can see below. He also told me that he might upload the file to the thingiverse website. If he finally does so, I'll put the link in the DIY Astronomer thread.

Regards,

NV

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-18 at 19.06.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-18 at 18.07.12.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-18 at 18.07.12 (1).jpeg

Edited by NenoVento
Too big pictures, sorry

• 11 months later...