NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Warm boot recommendations

Littleguy80

I have some fur lined snow boots that are pretty good. Recenly bought some Grubs Frostline 5.0 sub zero field boots which are comfortable and warm, with athin and thick sock combo its like toast. They are wellingtons with a built in thermal break similar to those recommended by Reddoss, however rated to -10c but good enough for here. (Reddoss' boots go to -50c).

• Like 1

On 05/12/2019 at 13:52, jetstream said:

I've had hypothermia onset numerous times observing and normally the feet are not the contributing factor for me- its the hands,neck and head. A hat seems to aggravate eyepiece frosting, a real issue in the cold.

One rule of thumb- good boots are not cheap.

Thinking on the same lines as Gerry, extremities most impacted by cold are fingers. I take a pair of windstopper gloves and in Winter conditions additionally a pair of mittens. Useless of course at changing filters but fine if nudging an icy scope. For Christmas last year, I got a fleece neck gaiter, to wear underneath the collar of my down jacket and this does make a difference at trapping in heat. In really cold, usually wind chill conditions, I will wear a balaclava and down filled beanie hat. Wearing suitable boots,  feet are usually fine, particularly if stamping up and down a bit.  

• Like 2

The Sorels arrived today. They are a substantial boot! My feet have never looked so big. My wife insists that she’s “not impressed” by that though 😉

They got a test run this evening. I wore a pair of normal thin socks and then my Smartwool socks over them. These are the socks that I mistakenly referred to as Ski socks. My feet felt warm throughout, not even a hint of coldness. My fingers soon got chilly when exposed though it wasn’t quite as cold as previous nights. The deep red of Hind’s Crimson star reflected nicely the warm feeling of my toes in my boots this evening. 

As always, a big thank you to everyone who commented, your advice and suggestions were all greatly appreciated :) 

• Like 3

I picked my Muck boots up from the children today. Fit seems pretty good, a touch snug even in size 11 but 12 would be too big I'm sure. With a pair of 'Paul's' socks on, the feet were definitely over heating indoors! Will try them next time out. My budget wouldn't run to Sorrells or Baffins but these seem good for the conditions I observe in.

• Like 2

I tried my Sorels last night for the first time too. I made the mistake of thinking the thick felt liner would be adequate with just my normal thin daytime socks- it wasn’t. I was out for about 2hrs and by the end I had to stop as my toes and fingers were freezing and I couldn’t physically go on. Stopped at Decathlon this morning on way to work and picked up some merino wool hiking socks and silk liner socks. I hope there’s room for them-should be as the boots are massive. Hopefully that’ll help. On the look out for some thin cork/aluminium thermal insoles too- decathlon didn’t have any

I was right about the soles though- the mud knocked off much easier than my other boots with traditional cleated soles. And they’re much easier to put on/take off too 👍

• Like 1

On 09/12/2019 at 20:56, Stu said:

I picked my Muck boots up from the children today.

These are excellent boots Stu, many here are going over to them as they seem tougher in the construction role. I might pick up a set myself. My Baffins are massive...

Edited by jetstream

13 hours ago, markse68 said:

On the look out for some thin cork/aluminium thermal insoles too- decathlon didn’t have any

Did these Sorels have the silver insoles in them in addition to the felt? Those silver insoles really do work. My Baffins liners are reflective covered thinsulate or something like that.

48 minutes ago, markse68 said:

There seems to be a thin silvery laminate embedded in the inner felt boot- no separate insole

I put silver insoles in my light boots and it made a big difference, slowing heat loss through the bottom of the boots. I wore them all day here with no cold feet as I was moving around putting up my lighted Christmas snowmen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally wore my Artic Muck Boots in anger for the first time the other night. I had bought a pair of the warm socks recommended by Paul earlier in this thread, and my feet were toastie warm for a good few hours whilst I was out. I'm optimistic that they will cope with a full night's observing in cold weather. Good stuff.

• Like 2

I’ve never looked back after getting a pair of these:   https://www.baffin.com/products/85920000

I can’t for the life of me remember where I got them, a fisherman’s shop up in Lancashire I think but they’ve kept my feet comfortable in the cold (-15c coldest use) and haven’t been too hot either when the temperature has been higher. I went a size higher than my feet are which allows for thick socks but makes walking awkward if I’m not wearing thick socks :)

gribbles.thumb.jpg.ff69dbb10bc8b0dafdc7099fb056bfda.jpg

• Like 2

Much Arctic sport seem to be the ticket so far, though a little cool seemed to be leaking though last fewest dew session, everyone else was suffering more than I was. I thought Baffin was more costly... -100C rated,  ooohhhh! I think Decarhlon do their own line of cold rated boots, for a cheaper option.

PEter

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Fat fingers typing... should be “last frosty dewy session”. Sure Auto”correct” had something to do with it too!

Peter

Did you say they leaked?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

No, water tight! But my feet were losing a little of their toastiness due to the soaking cold ground. 

Peter

Ahh, I see. I must say the thermal socks seemed to work well, and I'm still following Ibbo's advice and staying below critical sock mass 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

I followed this thread with interest as I have had half an eye on getting some dedicated warm boots. 

I happened to see some Sorels on eBay at a reasonable price and decided to give them a go.

I've tried them out and have to say they are very good for keeping warm when standing around in the cold. Far warmer than anything else I've worn before.

20200118_115128_HDR_crop_741x1221.thumb.jpg.fbddebcb5ae880300d8ca32b968b6147.jpg

• Like 2