Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bat, B150, Fireworks 9 Panel Mosaic(now with added Squid)

Allinthehead

39 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Thats amazing! so clear.

Thank you. 

38 minutes ago, upahill said:

Fantastic, what an impressive vista.

Hats off to you sir, not sure I have the patience to try a mosaic yet :)

Thanks, i did lose patience about half way through and switched to another target. Got a run of a few clear nights close together so i was able to go at it with renewed enthusiasm.

What a great idea for a composition and that snake of dust just hanging there really makes it!

I have 24x30 minutes of Squid OIII data which I'd be more than happy to send you if you fancy a play. 24x30 might sound like a lot but in fact it's pretty thin. Still, just PM me if you'd like it.

Olly

6 hours ago, Ags said:

APOD!

Thanks. If only you gave them out.😀

6 hours ago, ampleamp said:

That's rather tasty Richard; great effort encompassing a huge amount of objects and detail. I'm glad you mentioned O111 Squid as I'm not sure going for another 30 hours would be sane 😉 

Thanks. Nothing in this hobby is sane.

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

What a great idea for a composition and that snake of dust just hanging there really makes it!

I have 24x30 minutes of Squid OIII data which I'd be more than happy to send you if you fancy a play. 24x30 might sound like a lot but in fact it's pretty thin. Still, just PM me if you'd like it.

Olly

Thanks Olly and thanks for the offer which i will take you up on if it's not too much bother.

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks. If only you gave them out.😀

Thanks. Nothing in this hobby is sane.

Thanks Olly and thanks for the offer which i will take you up on if it's not too much bother.

No bother at all. I'll PM you.

Olly

• Thanks 1

Excellent image, lots going on around.

Awesome image. Will you be adding any O111 for the squid Nebula? 

Thanks. It would have to wait until next year as my house will be blocking it soon.

Good luck with that, I have spent two whole evenings on Oiii only trying to get the Squid, even using binning and 30 minute subs but still only got part of it and even that was exceedingly noisy.  I have been told you need 3nm Oiii filter and really dark skies to get it.

https://www.astrobin.com/314245/C/?image_list_page=2&nc=&nce=

Carole 

Edited by carastro

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Good luck with that, I have spent two whole evenings on Oiii only trying to get the Squid, even using binning and 30 minute subs but still only got part of it and even that was exceedingly noisy.  I have been told you need 3nm Oiii filter and really dark skies to get it.

https://www.astrobin.com/314245/C/?image_list_page=2&nc=&nce=

Carole 

It can be had in the Baader 8nm filter because that's what I have, but narrower bandpasses are certainly better.  I'm sure a dark sky is important, though.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fwm891 said:

Superb image, one of the best I've seen posted lately, and very well processed too 👍

Well I'm flattered by that considering the quality of images we see here. Thanks

9 hours ago, carastro said:

Thanks Carole. Wow that is feint. You can just see it starting to appear. Will you keep at it?

Wow that is feint. You can just see it starting to appear. Will you keep at it?

Funny you should ask, because I decided today (after reading your post) to try out Olly's "Exploiting the Equalize function" on it, and have managed to tweak out more of the structure of the Squid. 

It's still horribly noisy but it has now given me the incentive to give it another "go" and spend more time on it.  Prior to this I was thinking "do I want to spend more whole nights on this and get no result at the end?" 

See the re-tweak:

https://www.astrobin.com/314245/G/?image_list_page=2&nc=&nce=

1 minute ago, carastro said:

Funny you should ask, because I decided today (after reading your post) to try out Olly's "Exploiting the Equalize function" on it, and have managed to tweak out more of the structure of the Squid. 

It's still horribly noisy but it has now given me the incentive to give it another "go" and spend more time on it.  Prior to this I was thinking "do I want to spend more whole nights on this and get no result at the end?" 

See the re-tweak:

https://www.astrobin.com/314245/G/?image_list_page=2&nc=&nce=

Nice one. Definitely got a bit more out of it.

I often have the same dilemma when imaging dim targets. To keep going when you can't see a whole lot even after stacking takes a certain stubbornness. 

• Like 1

I added in the data that Olly kindly gave me. Thanks Olly.

I made a starless version of Ollys Oiii, registered it with my own data using dynamic alignment in PI. I then brought both images into PS and changed the squid image to rgb and deleted the red channel, replacing it with black. Copy and paste onto the mosaic and changed the blend mode to lighten, adjusting brightness and contrast to taste. 

596096190_9_PanelDonesquid.thumb.jpg.587ebdf1d7b75b2c14c86d4620d542fb.jpg

• Like 7