Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Warm October

ApophisAstros

I was just thinking how warm it is during the last couple of months, although loads of rain . Obviously chilly at night and have to turn heating on first thing for couple of hours, ok they say that warmer temps are bad but we are saving loads on heating costs.(and less Co2 because of that).

Five_Myr_Climate_Change.png

Whats everyone elses' take.

Roger

I'm still wearing shorts during the day which I probably wouldn't be quite this late in October.  Our heating has come on a couple of times this week though, and last night my wife lit the wood-burner for the first time since the summer.

Of course in the south of the UK we may not be producing as much CO2 because of the reduced need for heating, but others in warmer climes may be generating more as a result of running aircon more often.

James

Our heating is on 0500 to 0800 and 1600 to 2200 - I work mostly outside and we are a long way north so I dont like starting the day off cold and I like to come home to a warm house!

We also have a 12kw log burner for when its really cold as our lounge has 2 walls that are almost all glass and the heat loss is horrendous!

One of our regular customers is still in shorts and a t-shirt although I did see him with a fleece on the other day when it was -3º !!

• Like 1

i'm not exactly sure what the axes mean on that graph, but look at the variability in recent data  !!!.....    

Is that greater extremes in climate or the sampling technique ( experimental precision?) creating an less exaggerated range for the early data.

Anyway, no heating in my house.......   I'm from Yorkshire.

Edited by Craney

Over here it's been quite interesting 25-26C + during the day. We had warmest October day in past 60+ years couple a days ago with temperatures over 28C.

Heating season starts around 15th of October (for those on remote / central heating) and most people that do their own heating start even earlier than that - second week of October. Average daily temperature for October here is about 12.4C. Last two weeks we did not get down to that temperature even in the early mornings. It's also much drier than usual.

Warm weather will apparently continue until beginning of the next weak.

image.png.981ae121b0ad869b235138004a1f449b.png

Btw, I'm also currently in my shorts :D

15 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Over here it's been quite interesting 25-26C + during the day. We had warmest October day in past 60+ years couple a days ago with temperatures over 28C.

Heating season starts around 15th of October (for those on remote / central heating) and most people that do their own heating start even earlier than that - second week of October. Average daily temperature for October here is about 12.4C. Last two weeks we did not get down to that temperature even in the early mornings. It's also much drier than usual.

Hmm, looks like Serbia and Norway uses the same weather service layout. This is for Oslo:

image.png.808f3eee11c21a29464f3e2b87b02cd3.png

Haven't seen the sun in a while, hoping the next week will bring some clear skies..

Still running an AC 24/7 here in Fla. Yesterday we had what you could call our first good cold front push through. Mainly dropped the humidity.

Today it comes back as a warm front and brings 70% humidity back with it.

But the change last night was wonderful. Got out at 4am to look at the moon, took in Orions nebula and M31. 

35 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Vlaiv, we have had another 16 clear nights on the trot and 29-32 every day, we will pay for this I'm sure, clear again tonigh and tomorrow.

Alan

17 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Vlaiv, we have had another 16 clear nights on the trot and 29-32 every day, we will pay for this I'm sure, clear again tonigh and tomorrow.

Alan

Only issue I have here at the moment is that there is quite a bit of fog in the evening - high humidity and probably high air pressure. With LP, I can hardly make out Orion's belt in the evening. Don't know why is it so humid - we haven't had rain in quite a while.

37 minutes ago, grjsk said:

Hmm, looks like Serbia and Norway uses the same weather service layout. This is for Oslo:

That is just because I use yr.no as my weather provider - they give forecast for much of Europe and are precise enough :D

15 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That is just because I use yr.no as my weather provider - they give forecast for much of Europe and are precise enough :D

Haha, that explains alot! I actually use another norwegian service; storm.no. If you select the Storm/YR tab on the website, you get both services side by side. Quite convenient. When they both agree it's usually correct!

Edited by grjsk

24 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Only issue I have here at the moment is that there is quite a bit of fog in the evening - high humidity and probably high air pressure. With LP, I can hardly make out Orion's belt in the evening. Don't know why is it so humid - we haven't had rain in quite a while.

I use the same YR no, we get fog but it only develops around 4 in the morning, skies here are superb, with a touch of wind and after rain they are as good as I have seen anywhere and I have traveled a lot. I too like you wonder where the fog comes from as we had 43 clear nights and days then a bit of rain for two days and now this 16 night run.

Alan 

6 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I use the same YR no, we get fog but it only develops around 4 in the morning, skies here are superb, with a touch of wind and after rain they are as good as I have seen anywhere and I have traveled a lot. I too like you wonder where the fog comes from as we had 43 clear nights and days then a bit of rain for two days and now this 16 night run.

Alan 

Wow, I'm jealous, I haven't had a clear night since october 7th..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Our heating is on 0500 to 0800 and 1600 to 2200 - I work mostly outside and we are a long way north so I dont like starting the day off cold and I like to come home to a warm house!

We also have a 12kw log burner for when its really cold as our lounge has 2 walls that are almost all glass and the heat loss is horrendous!

One of our regular customers is still in shorts and a t-shirt although I did see him with a fleece on the other day when it was -3º !!

One of the regular attendees at the Galloway star campcome rain or snow  is allways in shirt and shorts, I just don't know how he does it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Physopto said:

One of the regular attendees at the Galloway star campcome rain or snow  is allways in shirt and shorts

:blink: I start feeling the chill when the evenings drop under 10ºc or so. Any lower than that and it's on with the thermals and winter coat etc

• Like 2