Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"On" "Off" NASA space projects.

NASA landed humans on the moon in the 1960's. Over the decades since we have been fed various stories by presidents that they will fund new human exploration programmes to the moon and beyond. 
The only one who has gone up and beyond is Buzz Lightyear. 
Recently I read that the current president has allocated an extra 1.9 billion dollars to send humans back to the moon. Today there is a story by CNET that when questioned he said that we have been to the moon. Implying that there is no real need to go back. What are we to make of the reluctance to go back to the moon,to venture beyond low earth orbit. 
What are we afraid of? 
What has the moon done to us that we turn our back on it? 

Edited by Guest
Spelling mistake.

China has no such short-sightedness.  The possession of the Moon and near-Earth space is an opportunity to secure global military, political and economic domination.  

Edited by Hallingskies

18 minutes ago, Hallingskies said:

China has no such short-sightedness.  The possession of the Moon and near-Earth space is an opportunity to secure global military, political and economic domination.  

And they could wrap up the market in  Moon rock sales on e-bay!

13 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

And they could wrap up the market in  Moon rock sales on e-bay!

That's probably covered under "economic domination" these days :D

James

47 minutes ago, barkis said:

Mustn't stray into the political arena, even  when discussing space topics guys. SGL  are quite strict in such areas.

Ron.

Point taken. No intention of doing so really. I suppose funding is political. 

Might be an idea to close the thread. 

Martin

13 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:
What are we to make of the reluctance to go back to the moon,to venture beyond low earth orbit. 
What are we afraid of? 

The Americans will never go back to the Moon because they have seen things and are scared, I fully expect a few unmanned missions though to areas that they are allowed to go.

Alan

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:
NASA landed humans on the moon in the 1960's. Over the decades since we have been fed various stories by presidents that they will fund new human exploration programmes to the moon and beyond. 
The only one who has gone up and beyond is Buzz Lightyear. 
Recently I read that the current president has allocated an extra 1.9 billion dollars to send humans back to the moon. Today there is a story by CNET that when questioned he said that we have been to the moon. Implying that there is no real need to go back. What are we to make of the reluctance to go back to the moon,to venture beyond low earth orbit. 
What are we afraid of? 

Human space flight is very costly and dangerous. A rover/prob is cheaper, more productive and better value for money. Out side of money, the main issue for human's to Mars is radiation and body wastage. It will be fantastic to see the next moon landing planned for within 6 years, also with a Female Astronaut!. 

I'm with you though.. we need to crack on as moon, Mars and beyond takes years of development. NASA can continue to throw probes out and prove a return on the money grants, but they need focus harder on the big projects!

8 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

The Americans will never go back to the Moon because they have seen things and are scared, I fully expect a few unmanned missions though to areas that they are allowed to go.

Alan

I hesitate to ask what makes you say this? They seemed quite happy to send multiple missions there, any reasons for not going back are purely financial or political.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2019 at 14:09, barkis said:

Mustn't stray into the political arena, even  when discussing space topics guys. SGL  are quite strict in such areas.

Ron.

I apologise. It was not meant to be political comment, just a bit of humour. Again sorry.

ooby

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oobydooby said:

I apologise. It was not meant to be political comment, just a bit of humour. Again sorry.

ooby

No worries Ooby, sometimes these things can blow up out of nowhere so best to avoid even mentioning the subject. All good.

Take it from me, most of  us older Americans are, let me simply say, unhappy with the way we've looked at not just our future, but all of the human races future.

I could go I to a very political rant about our decline in the exploration of space,  but I wont.

I guess what drove the continued exploration of the rest of the world by the fleets that set sail over the distant, flat horizon, was the dream of unbelievable rewards.

Sadly, we sooner rather than later have to realize our survival and future doesn't depend on how much we earn versus how much we've spent.

Somehow, we've got to find a way to get over the pettiness that has been the status quo.

We can do this if we can just find a way to be satisfied with what we have.

• Like 6

I have recently reread a fantastic book. A man on the moon. The voyages of the Apollo astronauts by Andrew Chaikin.

Really brings it home to you the effort, man power and money needed for such things. I think it is in the trillion dollar bracket at least to get people back to the moon.

I do hope we go back and to lands anew, I would hate to think that the great age of physical discovery is coming to an end. I look up at night and wonder what awaits us ?

’In the end, when we confront the fact that human beings have been to the moon, we continue to have magic thoughts about the experience. We hold the magic, the awe, not the moon voyagers themselves. They flash quickly upon it and move on. The significant journey takes place not in their minds, but ours.’

quote Andrew Chaikin

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 23:42, Alien 13 said:

Alan

Hello Alan, can you expand on this, are you referring to the early technology ? 

4 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

Hello Alan, can you expand on this, are you referring to the early technology ? 

My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, I was referring to all the reports on the web about them seeing strange craft and lights and alien life...Apollo 18 was interesting :)

Alan

Hi Gina. My initial post could have been seen as straying into politics. Another post by Alan was being scrutinised when it was claimed to be tongue in cheek. 

I just feel that the subject could be a tad tricky with the parameters.