Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oh God What Will They Think of Next?

Captain Scarlet

I like the idea provided it does not interfere with the Moon, not keen on Pepsi though but Irn Bru would be fine as would McDonalds. I do think that the area of sky covered is a bit small so hopefully lots of other companies get on board too.

Alan

"Tokyo-based Ispace raised $90 million in 2017 to kickstart what it calls the "lunar economy", which involves – at least in part – setting up small advertising hoards on the moon that can be viewed from Earth."

Lol some of the craters are 50km wide and are not naked eye visible! Hubble cant even resolve the lunar landing sites! Wonder what will happen to the  $90M...?

"Space has to be beautiful," the site states. "With the best brands our sky will amaze us every night."

The lack of respect, understanding and appreciation of nature displayed by these ignorant people amazes me. 

13 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I like the idea provided it does not interfere with the Moon, not keen on Pepsi though but Irn Bru would be fine as would McDonalds. I do think that the area of sky covered is a bit small so hopefully lots of other companies get on board too.

You ARE being ironic right? It will cover a small part of the sky but introduce a tremendous amount of light pollution, deface the natural world and confuse animals.

Anyway, with the advertising array being half the angular size of the full moon, it seems the nuisance value will far outweigh the marketing value of the tiny logos.

Not only is their product not considered a healthy drink, the sugar content being far too high, now they propose to damage the night sky too.  A might inconsiderate to my mind. I hope this is rejected on the grounds of stupidity.

Ron.

I think the world's Spacefaring nations should unite to insist that an edict preventing near earth space, from being exploited by large organizations for the sole purpose of increasing their already vast profits, be introduced soon as,  before proposals such as Pepsi's, gets off the ground.  There's enough flotsam and jetsam careering around at a dangerous level as is.

Please let sanity prevail ?.

Hi, 

An bit of a side note on this topic, browsing through YouGov the other day I saw that a poll on this topic had resulted in 70% disapproval. Another 10-15% didn't know and only a very small percentage liked it. ?

The lunar advertising campaign reminds me of the Chinese proposal to build an artificial moon to light cities at night. Such stupidity and imaginative ability are unrivaled even by Hollywood. ?

John

I wonder if the people proposing this type of advertising have considered the possibility of competitors or other aggravated parties "adjusting" adverts?  So someone might, for example add their own text to the "Pepsi" logo reading "tastes like donkey ....", or add some additional graphics to the "o"s in "Google" to make it rather more, err, graphic?

Personally I think the idea is so wrong on so many different levels that only those enslaved by their own greed could consider it a good idea.

James

Almost on topic.....

July 1969. The BIG headline in all of the newspaprers was of course the landing of Apollo 11.

The Daily Express ran daily a small single image cartoon featuring a couple. I forget their names.

But, on this day, the wife was looking out of the window to the moon. In big lettering across the disc was 'coca cola'.
The caption showed her saying to her husband 'I think they have arrived my dear'.

2 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

The lunar advertising campaign reminds me of the Chinese proposal to build an artificial moon to light cities at night.

Ugh. People just seem to be terrified of the dark sadly. I walked down my street last night, and every few yards a motion activated light came on to spoil my view of the night sky, and also made me feel a bit ‘under surveillance’. Please world, TURN THE DARK BACK ON!

I do like astronomy but am terrified of the dark where the monsters hide, I have seen a future where the whole sky is covered with adverts/games/information and renditions of stars and galaxy's and to be honest it looked great..... I personally assume that sky conditions will get so bad anyway that we will all be observing via space telescopes or similar.

Alan 

The light pollution people are completely out of control, the resources it takes to light the night sky globally that are completely and utterly wasted each and every night for the silliness of the sleeping masses is about as foolish as believing the world is flat. Why folks are bent on replacing nature with nonsense is beyond my understanding, things like this are a kin to lighting houses on fire just to watch them burn...

Yes I am being as harsh as possible here, ideas like these take from many to feed the greed of few and deserve flat out honest opinion forthwith.

My bluster for today ?

Archived