Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Budding new astronomer!

jonathan

Hi! :hello2:

I've been interested in the night skies for quite some time but never had the courage or disposable income to go out and buy a decent telescope before now. I'm thinking about getting a basic setup to get me started, and have come here for some advice. Hopefully I will come back time and again to report back and see what's going on in the world of astronomy. :p

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome. :cheers:

After reading reviews and asking advice, the general consensus seems to be that the Skywatcher 130 is a very good starter telescope, however I have also been told / read that the EQ2 mount that comes with it is not ideal for astrophotography (one of my plans for any such telescope, as well as casual observing).

Now I am leaning towards the Skywatcher 150 which comes with (apparently) a much sturdier EQ3-2 mount, which is supposed to be the starter mount for budding astrophotographers. Would you agree with this?

Buying a motor drive - is there any variation in quality, and is it better to buy a telescope with one already fitted (such as the Skywatcher 150PL)? I notice that the 150P and 150PL are listed as having 750mm and 1200mm focal length respectively, which is better for general viewing and for photography?

Am I better off just fitting a motor drive to the 130?

Sorry if I have repeated myself from other threads, I guess it just takes a while for some things to sink into my brain. :D

Thanks!!

Archived