Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ8 - waste of money

martin_h

If it’s faulty it needs to go back. However, adjustment for routine backlash is usually provided. I had a big issue with my first AZ EQ 6 GT which was a genuine fault and the retailer sorted it immediately. It helps us all, retailers included, if we push back to the manufacturer.

13 minutes ago, martin_h said:

Yes it is

I thought it might be. I remember someone with your name buying an EQ8 a while ago ?

Sorry to hear your EQ8 requires adjustment. It sometimes happens when a large/heavy mount is delivered via courier. Please email if you would like help. We will happily arrange collection. 

Steve 

• Like 13

I have a couple of local astronomy members nearby who purchased the eq8 and asked me for assistance in setting it all up. I was very surprised how good the mount performed in the time I had to tinker with it. I am sure you will be more than happy with it and I will continue to keep my eyes open in case one comes up on the s/h market.  Unless a mesu for silly money lands on my lap.

cheers,

• Like 1

I have an EQ8 I bought from FLO and absolutely delighted with it - a huge improvement on the NEQ6 I also have.  A properly engineered piece of kit which unfortunately I can't say about the NEQ6 - I had to work on it myself to get the elevation/latitude adjustment working reliably - the bendy bolts problem.  But then the EQ8 is several times the price of the NEQ6.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

It came back!!!! Yet again a shed load of Dec backlash, PHD can't detect any south movement, so this time I ran the calibration low in the east(failed), ran the assistant to measure Dec backlash- instead of a slope I get a horizontal line!!! Then without moving the mount I adjusted the backlash in the fails position, then ran the assistant again, not perfct but at least a downward sope......... Time will tell.

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

How has it performed since your first adjustments? I had a brand new AZEQ6 that was fine at first but after 6 months or so it developed a bit of slop in the Ra axis so needed adjustment. Was fine again afterwards.

It was guiding ok, but occasionaly it would go for a wander and take an age to recover, this last bit of backlash only came to light because I had to recalibrate PHD.