Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2

Hi, I bought my 135 a few months ago & after saving my pennies I've finally bought the ZWO ASI 533MC-Pro which arrived in Monday. I also bought the Astro Essentials M48 adapter created by Rob  (Uranium235)

Now I'm probably overlooking something simple here,  I assumed that all I needed to do was  swap over the Canon Bayonet with the M48 adapter & then screw on the 533 camera to the lens but obviously that's not the case & I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach it.

The camera comes with several adapters as follows 

T2-1.25" nosepiece & cap 

T2-1.25" adapter 

T2 extender 21mm 

T2- M48 16.5mm extender 

M42-M48 adapter 

Spacers X3 

The photos consist of the camera screw thread, Samyang with attached astro ess M48 adapter & the rest are the extenders/ adapters etc. Nosepiece isn't in photos. I'd be eternally grateful if anyone knows how to attach the lens to the 533 as I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle 😒 

IMG_20210402_172132_9.jpg

IMG_20210402_172412_9.jpg

IMG_20210402_172451_0.jpg

IMG_20210402_172458_3.jpg

IMG_20210402_172849_7.jpg

IMG_20210402_180207_3.jpg

4 hours ago, nephilim said:

Hi, I bought my 135 a few months ago & after saving my pennies I've finally bought the ZWO ASI 533MC-Pro which arrived in Monday. I also bought the Astro Essentials M48 adapter created by Rob  (Uranium235)

Now I'm probably overlooking something simple here,  I assumed that all I needed to do was  swap over the Canon Bayonet with the M48 adapter & then screw on the 533 camera to the lens but obviously that's not the case & I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach it.

The camera comes with several adapters as follows 

T2-1.25" nosepiece & cap 

T2-1.25" adapter 

T2 extender 21mm 

T2- M48 16.5mm extender 

M42-M48 adapter 

Spacers X3 

The photos consist of the camera screw thread, Samyang with attached astro ess M48 adapter & the rest are the extenders/ adapters etc. Nosepiece isn't in photos. I'd be eternally grateful if anyone knows how to attach the lens to the 533 as I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle 😒 

IMG_20210402_172132_9.jpg

IMG_20210402_172412_9.jpg

IMG_20210402_172451_0.jpg

IMG_20210402_172458_3.jpg

IMG_20210402_172849_7.jpg

IMG_20210402_180207_3.jpg

I managed to sort it out myself & yes it was something simple, I hadn't realised there was an extra adapter inside the actual sensor cap that doubles as a thread to screw on the actual camera cap. Firstly i'll thank @Space Oddities for this as I was going back on a conversation we had a few months ago when I was querying as to how I attached the 533 to the 135 & he'd given me this info, so thanks for that mate, you've helped me out tonight without even realising it 😂 Secondly i'd like to thank myself for remembering the conversation & putting the advice into practise 😁

IMG_20210402_223619_9.jpg

Edited by nephilim
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, nephilim said:

I managed to sort it out myself & yes it was something simple, I hadn't realised there was an extra adapter inside the actual sensor cap that doubles as a thread to screw on the actual camera cap.

HI @nephilim I don't believe this will give you the correct backfocus.  As stated on the site for the M48 adapter (and is normal for camera lenses) - 44mm is required.  As discussed throughout this topic, usually a little more is needed to land the focus in the current marker (depending on filter).  

From your image above I think you're using the 11mm female-female M42 adapter and the 16.5mm M42 to M48 adapter.  Including the 6.5mm from camera edge to sensor, this gives you a total of 34mm.  Apologies if I've missed something in the image though.

If you have a look back at an earlier discussion we had, it gives some options.  Hope this helps clarify.  

I currently have a ZWO filter drawer, additional spacer + the 11mm female-female adapter plus thin Baader shim.  Around 45ish mm

Edited by geeklee

4 hours ago, geeklee said:

HI @nephilim I don't believe this will give you the correct backfocus.  As stated on the site for the M48 adapter (and is normal for camera lenses) - 44mm is required.  As discussed throughout this topic, usually a little more is needed to land the focus in the current marker (depending on filter).  

From your image above I think you're using the 11mm female-female M42 adapter and the 16.5mm M42 to M48 adapter.  Including the 6.5mm from camera edge to sensor, this gives you a total of 34mm.  Apologies if I've missed something in the image though.

If you have a look back at an earlier discussion we had, it gives some options.  Hope this helps clarify.  

I currently have a ZWO filter drawer, additional spacer + the 11mm female-female adapter plus thin Baader shim.  Around 45ish mm

@geeklee Apologies, I forgot to thank you for your help as well. Your right that it wont work as its shown in the photo, I was just trying to make sure I had all the parts to actually attach them together, i've a lot to do now putting the whole rig together & getting everything to work. As far as I know I have all the adapters & spacers I need so i'll be putting it all together properly later on. Thanks for your time though & i'm sure i'll have more questions coming very soon.

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nephilim said:

Apologies, I forgot to thank you for your help as well.

No problem Steve, not necessary.  With such a long thread, I just wanted to be sure you'd be able to find the information again if you were looking at sizing.

5 hours ago, nephilim said:

As far as I know I have all the adapters & spacers I need so i'll be putting it all together properly later on.

Awesome.  From the photo you put up into the Lounge, you've got all the jigsaw pieces, just need to put it all together for first light and you'll be off! :)  

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

You need the 16.5mm M48/M42 on the Samyang, a 10mm spacer and then the female 11mm spacer that goes on the camera.

Cheers David, I think i've got all the things I need in the box, i'm also using the Astro Essentials M48 adapter that @Uranium235 developed.

11 hours ago, nephilim said:

Cheers David, I think i've got all the things I need in the box, i'm also using the Astro Essentials M48 adapter that @Uranium235 developed.

If its like the ASI1600 then I don't think it comes with a 10mm spacer. Thr 21mm used with the 16.5 adapter and 11mm female gives you 55mm. You need the 10mm to get to 44mm from the Samyang adapter.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 14:27, DevilJack said:

I’ve been following this thread for a long time and have used many ideas from the setups and images. Thanks! I’ve finally joined so that I can participate in the conversation.

I really like the thought of using the Primaluce Lab  rings to support both the camera and lens. I use the asi2600mc, so I’d have to get both 80mm and 90mm rings. Expensive but still  intriguing.

I currently use the following 3D printed kit along with the WO RedCat ring to mount my Samyang 135mm, AsiAir pro, EAF, and WiFi router.  I may looking into modifying the kit to work with the Primaluce rings.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/56485-zwo-eaf-adapter-for-samyang-135mm-lens

Thanks - John 

Hi John,

I am in the process of mounting my lens using essentially the same 3D printed kit you provided the link to. One difference Is that I use the Astro Essentials adapter, connected with appropriate spacers to a ZWO filter drawer and my ASI2600MC Pro. I also am having the riser fabricated in aluminium rather than 3D printed.

What has been your experience using it? Am I wrong to assume that it is not positive if you are thinking of changing to a different mounting solution.

I have very limited experience so far just using the WO Redcat ring, but this seems reasonably stabile to me. 

Cheers, Des

14 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

If its like the ASI1600 then I don't think it comes with a 10mm spacer. Thr 21mm used with the 16.5 adapter and 11mm female gives you 55mm. You need the 10mm to get to 44mm from the Samyang adapter.

Your right, there is no 10mm spacer, I dont suppose you have a link to one that would be suitable, preferably from a UK supplier due to all this leaving the EU nonsense. Thanks

Steve

6 hours ago, ddm4313 said:

Hey guys, how did you attach a guidescope to your DSLR or this lens directly? I'm thinking of getting an L bracket. 

I use this although there are a few other options that are similar https://www.wega-telescopes.de/shop/Rohrschellen-passend-für-Samyang-135mm-F2-Objektiv-inkl-Sucherbasis-3D-Druck-p258368766

8 hours ago, nephilim said:

Your right, there is no 10mm spacer, I dont suppose you have a link to one that would be suitable, preferably from a UK supplier due to all this leaving the EU nonsense. Thanks

Steve

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SVBONY-M42-0-75mm-Thread-Extension-Ring-Tube-Set-5-20mm-for-Astronomy-Telescope-/283572790532?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

It's a bit expensive if all you want is a 10mm spacer but their handy to have.

Or Altair stock some decent ones with a knurled grip for a tenner each but then charge seven quid for delivery 🤔

https://www.altairastro.com/spacer-rings-extension-tubes--adaptors-13-c.asp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8472 said:

Any owners had any positive experience using a 1.4x teleconverter with this lens? For AP use, of course.

If so, what make and model did you use?

Cheers

It's not possible with the DSLR version. Most 1.4x teleconverters protrude inside the lens, but the Samyang doesn't have enough space in the back.

2 hours ago, 8472 said:

Any owners had any positive experience using a 1.4x teleconverter with this lens? For AP use, of course.

If so, what make and model did you use?

Cheers

17 minutes ago, Space Oddities said:

It's not possible with the DSLR version. Most 1.4x teleconverters protrude inside the lens, but the Samyang doesn't have enough space in the back.

I would be interested too, dont have the Sammy at the moment but my Son has one which I might be able to borrow.

I know the Canon teleconverters push into the lens so cant be used with the EF/S range for example but have a feeling that my Kenko MC7 (X2 TC) might work with the Sammy as I can even uses it with most EF/S lenses like my Sigma and Nifty 50 as well as the full frame Canon 70-200 as detailed in my signature..

Alan

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SVBONY-M42-0-75mm-Thread-Extension-Ring-Tube-Set-5-20mm-for-Astronomy-Telescope-/283572790532?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

It's a bit expensive if all you want is a 10mm spacer but their handy to have.

Or Altair stock some decent ones with a knurled grip for a tenner each but then charge seven quid for delivery 🤔

https://www.altairastro.com/spacer-rings-extension-tubes--adaptors-13-c.asp

That's great thanks. Although I'm far from rolling in cash, AP costs tend to go over my head now as nothing is cheap 😂

4 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I would be interested too, dont have the Sammy at the moment but my Son has one which I might be able to borrow.

I know the Canon teleconverters push into the lens so cant be used with the EF/S range for example but have a feeling that my Kenko MC7 (X2 TC) might work with the Sammy as I can even uses it with most EF/S lenses like my Sigma and Nifty 50 as well as the full frame Canon 70-200 as detailed in my signature..

Alan

As Alan mentioned, it looks like the Kenko and maybe Sigma converters may physically fit.

I'd love to know if your son's lens works, if you do ever get to test, Alan!

• Like 1

Caught some Oiii on the Rosette/Cone nebulae region last night to add to my previous Ha panel and here is the result! Very happy with this as my first ever bicolour image :D 

1475563374_RosetteConeHOO25.thumb.jpg.0c2f9145176487b1d1d3925f1ab58277.jpg

Cheers

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

A little update to the NGC7000 mosaic...

Thanks to this great run of clear(ish) skies around the new moon, I've been able to catch about 12 hours of Oiii data split between three panels on the NGC7000 region! Plenty of really interesting objects in the frame, including several planetary nebulae and a large supernova remnant around the middle-right of the image.

I'm calling this channel done for now and moving onto Sii acquisition before the moon comes back too strongly. I've got ~4hrs on the left hand panel so far. I can only imagine what the full SHO mosaic will look like!

79689962_Oiiiprocessed25.thumb.jpg.18e4333fd5f732d3dcaa42da1d1ca4da.jpg

Cheers

• Like 4

First light with my 135mm this morning.  Had a rather sleepless night (have to take advantage of the clear skies when they arrive...) and travelled an hour to the West Dorset coast for some light pollution free southerly views.  I was mainly imaging some widefield Milky Way stuff with my 14mm and 24mm Samyang lenses but took the 135mm along to try it out on my Omegon LX3 tracker.  I have to say I was not disappointed what a fantastic lens.  Mine's a cine version so I was only about 1-1.5 stops down and had great sharp stars, it's super easy to focus too.  Not going to win any awards with this one but I was pleased considering this is only 6 x 1 minute exposures with no calibration frames (I had to crop as I am yet to take flats).  Taken on my modified Canon 6D at about 4am this morning! 🥱

I may have been a little unproductive in the home office today!

Rho_Op_Seq_Stack_V1 (2).jpg

• Like 13