SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2

On 24/07/2021 at 10:50, Chefgage said:

I'm jealous of your bortle 2 skies, I am imaging in bortle 8 where I live. Still, with the right filters I can still get some decent images. I am off camping soon to bortle 4 skies so hopefully I can take advantage. From the look of it I am taking more imaging gear than camping gear! :)

I managed a few hours last night and went for NGC7000 to give you another bookmark. :D 

This one is 220 x 30s exposures (so 1h 50m total) at ISO400 F4 on my unguided, unbalanced but PA'ed EQ5. This lens is so forgiving, I can't wait to use it with the ASI294MC on my HEQ5 to see what it can really do! :D 

NGC7000-25072021-220fr-1h50m-ISO400.png.9bad6bf49575b9c959b6a5e52bcd9581.png

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

I managed a few hours last night and went for NGC7000 to give you another bookmark. :D 

This one is 220 x 30s exposures (so 1h 50m total) at ISO400 F4 on my unguided, unbalanced but PA'ed EQ5. This lens is so forgiving, I can't wait to use it with the ASI294MC on my HEQ5 to see what it can really do! :D 

NGC7000-25072021-220fr-1h50m-ISO400.png.9bad6bf49575b9c959b6a5e52bcd9581.png

Again lovely image. Yep that's another one bookmarked :)

• Like 1

I'm in, 

Got mine Tuesday and Philippe' gizmo came today.

201 x 30s on AZ GTI with a stock Canon 60D .

Thought I better post here now I've found the thread.

I'm soon to buy a ASI1600MC if anyone knows which adapters I need that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Autosave.tif post.tif22.png

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

I'm in, 

Got mine Tuesday and Philippe' gizmo came today.

201 x 30s on AZ GTI with a stock Canon 60D .

Thought I better post here now I've found the thread.

I'm soon to buy a ASI1600MC if anyone knows which adapters I need that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

The adapter choice depends on if you intend to keep the lens as a Canon "fit" or replace the back plate with one from Flo..

Alan

• Like 1

On 18/07/2021 at 12:16, RobST said:

First Attempt at North American Nebula and a quick process, will do it properly later.

Canon 6d at iso 800

Samyang 135mm at f4

Star Adventurer 

I tried at f2 and f2.8 and iso 1600 but image seemed washed out. Any tips on settings would be appreciated. 

90 x 30 second subs

10 flats

10 darks

50 bias

1302729565_NANquick.thumb.png.bd0e0ff0422989a73636ad23418bf3bd.png

Thanks Rob

Hi Rob. I found F4 was the best compromise for full frame images with my 6D. I also shot at ISO1600 but used an Optolong clip filter.

NGC896 135mm.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The adapter choice depends on if you intend to keep the lens as a Canon "fit" or replace the back plate with one from Flo..

Alan

Hi Alan, If that's the M48 bayonet replacement that Uranium suggested to FLO I think that might be my best option.

• Like 1

Just now, MARS1960 said:

Hi Alan, If that's the M48 bayonet replacement that Uranium suggested to FLO I think that might be my best option.

Thats the one, my Son has the Sammy but is having so much fun with it as a daytime lens that he gave up on the idea of the plate 😀

Alan

Just now, Alien 13 said:

Thats the one, my Son has the Sammy but is having so much fun with it as a daytime lens that he gave up on the idea of the plate 😀

Alan

Haha.

So does the 1600MC just screw directly onto the plate?

10 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Haha.

It will depend on configuration and if you have any filters in the imaging train but ultimately the spacing has to be such that the infinity mark is at the same position you get with your Canon camera when the 1600MC sensor is in focus. The lens to sensor distance needs to be set at around 44mm as a starting point but may need tweaking a mm or two either way.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Haha.

You need to set up the adapters for 44mm for the Canon version of the lens. So you'd use the 16.5mm M48 to M42 adapter on the plate first, a 10mm M42 spacer you need to source separately, then the female 11mm spacer that comes with the camera plus the 6.5mm depth of the sensor gives you 44mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

You need to set up the adapters for 44mm for the Canon version of the lens. So you'd use the 16.5mm M48 to M42 adapter on the plate first, a 10mm M42 spacer you need to source separately, then the female 11mm spacer that comes with the camera plus the 6.5mm depth of the sensor gives you 44mm.

Excellent, thanks David.

So to confirm: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-samyang-lens-to-m48-adapter.html

these spacers? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-t2-m42-extension-tube-set-4mm-5mm-6mm-7mm-8mm-9mm.html

I cannot seem to find a M48 to M42 16.5mm adapter! Found plenty of M42 to M48 16.5mm!

Edited by MARS1960

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Hi Rob. I found F4 was the best compromise for full frame images with my 6D. I also shot at ISO1600 but used an Optolong clip filter.

NGC896 135mm.jpg

Thanks that's a big help 😁 did you use your 6d with just the samyang? I'm currently looking for a refractor that will suit the 6d 😁

2 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

Excellent, thanks David.

So to confirm: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-samyang-lens-to-m48-adapter.html

these spacers? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-t2-m42-extension-tube-set-4mm-5mm-6mm-7mm-8mm-9mm.html

I cannot seem to find a M48 to M42 16.5mm adapter! Found plenty of M42 to M48 16.5mm!

It should come with the 16.5mm and 11mm female in the box with the camera. 

And ebay for the 10mm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Set-2-Inch-M42-Extension-Tube-Kit-5-10-15-30mm-M42X0-75-1-Pcs-M42-to-M42-V3-/224453442994?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MARS1960 said:

Thanks but I'm buying the 1600MC so won't be using filters, so that seems a rather expensive option.

Filters can be useful even with a colour camera, as well as the various LP filters there are the relatively new dual band filters available too.

Alan

15 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

15 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Fair point guys. I use a quad band clip in or astronomik LP now so might do the filter one or the non filter one i just found on FLO too.

cheers for the help.

24 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Filters can be useful even with a colour camera, as well as the various LP filters there are the relatively new dual band filters available too.

Alan

I meant to quote you in the previous Alan, not David twice lol, cheers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

I've got the Astro Essentials replacement by Uranium from FLO for my ASI533 & find it does the job very well indeed, just make sure all 3 screws are tightened properly.

Steve

Edited by nephilim
  • Thanks 1

This is my first image with the Samyang 135, actually this is the first image I've ever taken & I couldn't be happier. Its not perfect & my post processing skills are no where near where they need to be (Yet) but for a first attempt at a hobby I've been wanting to try & do for many,  many years, I'm satisfied with the result. It can only get better.

I must say thanks to the many members of this forum who have helped me over the years & especially those who have helped the last few months. But a really big thanks has to go to @Adreneline for his time and patience answering all my countless questions regarding my set up (back focus) and all the other little fiddly bits I would have missed, without Adrian's help I wouldn't be anywhere near as far on as I am now.

IC1396 The Elephants Trunk Nebula in Cepheus
50x180 sec @Unity gain
20x Darks (No flats yet as i'm trying to get my head around the best way to take them)
Zwo ASI533MC-Pro unguided @-10c
Samyang 135ED f2.0 @f2.8
Zwo Asiair Pro
Optolong L-eXtreme
Explore Scientific EXOS II PMC 8

The quality isnt great as its been added as a JPEG here is the original file, below the JPEG which for some reason I cant delete is a better PNG version.

Steve
May be an image of sky

Levels.png

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, nephilim said:

This is my first image with the Samyang 135, actually this is the first image I've ever taken & I couldn't be happier. Its not perfect & my post processing skills are no where near where they need to be (Yet) but for a first attempt at a hobby I've been wanting to try & do for many,  many years, I'm satisfied with the result. It can only get better.

I must say thanks to the many members of this forum who have helped me over the years & especially those who have helped the last few months. But a really big thanks has to go to @Adreneline for his time and patience answering all my countless questions regarding my set up (back focus) and all the other little fiddly bits I would have missed, without Adrian's help I wouldn't be anywhere near as far on as I am now.

50x180 sec @Unity gain
20x Darks (No flats yet as i'm trying to get my head around the best way to take them)
Samyang 135ED f2.0 @f2.8
Zwo Asiair Pro
Optolong L-eXtreme

The quality isnt great as its been added as a JPEG here is the original file Autosave.tif

Steve
May be an image of sky

1 hour ago, nephilim said:

50x180 sec @Unity gain
Samyang 135ED f2.0 @f2.8
Zwo Asiair Pro
Optolong L-eXtreme

The quality isnt great as its been added as a JPEG here is the original file Autosave.tif

Steve
May be an image of sky

Ive now posted as a PNG as the above Jpeg has come out awful

Levels.png

• Like 5

16 hours ago, nephilim said:

Excellent Steve - great you've got everything working and got the chance to get out there and capture something after patiently putting your equipment together.  What a fantastic start on IC1396.

2 hours ago, desmcm said:

Testing out the IDAS NBZ dual band filter.

Nice one Des, it's a great FOV with the 2600MC and I thought the stars looked fine (for the Samyang at F2!).  I've certainly seen plenty worse on my own stuff!  Do you have the "UHS" version of the NBZ? Just wondering as I've seen two on FLO.

It's enjoyable seeing the summer targets appearing on this thread and with July drawing to a close, I managed a couple of hours here and there after getting some help from @Adreneline to fight a spacing gremlin.

These are shot with the ASI183MM camera and Astronomik MaxFR Ha and OIII filters.  A mix of civil and nautical darkness.  Click through for larger, more detailed versions.

Veil Nebula - half at ~F2.4 and half at ~F2.8 - over two sessions - total of 1hr Ha and 1Hr OIII.

2021-VeilNebula-1hHa-1hOIII-Proc1.thumb.png.0b7f9c967612755040c0c06f85fa7a19.png

NGC7000 and IC5070 (North American and Pelican nebula) - ~F2.4 - 1Hr Ha and 54 mins OIII.  Standard HOO blend and then a mix with some Ha in the G and B channels.

2021-NGC7000-HOO-2h.thumb.png.828e8fcc13d3bd9b17099b75b95c060d.png

2021-NGC7000-HHOO-2h.thumb.png.d7bebf1c394f0c98c080372e972be405.png

Thanks for looking and roll on the (clear) darker skies.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Thanks for looking and roll on the (clear) darker skies.

Excellent Lee. With these sort of results during short, 'not-dark' nights you should be on to great things once astro darkness returns.

Adrian

• Thanks 1