Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC443 - Jellyfish Nebula

souls33k3r

This image took me 18hrs to capture, quite a few subs had to be chucked out due to high clouds and really bad signal but in the end i managed to salvage a few to be able to process it. 

First image using Skywatcher Esprit 100 which consists of 50 x 300s (Ha, SII, OIII) subs. Fully processed in PI.

Hope you like it. 

Comments and critiques are very welcomed

Image-1.thumb.jpg.d5a45bf962c200520e5a24325d919aef.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent first light for the excellent Esprit 100ED - you must be delighted with that! My only thoughts are that the background appears a bit light and I'm sure could benefit from bringing the black point in a few notches. The detail in the nebula is great. Was the framing like that on purpose? I only ask as the top of the Jellyfish is veeeeery close to the edge of the frame! Here's to plenty more clear nights and crisp images!

10 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Excellent first light for the excellent Esprit 100ED - you must be delighted with that! My only thoughts are that the background appears a bit light and I'm sure could benefit from bringing the black point in a few notches. The detail in the nebula is great. Was the framing like that on purpose? I only ask as the top of the Jellyfish is veeeeery close to the edge of the frame! Here's to plenty more clear nights and crisp images!

Cheers mate, i couldn't be happier with the scope i must admit. Best decision i made with the help of @RayD . I agree, the background could benefit from bringing the black points a few notches but that's my issue, i process my images on my desktop which is connected to a TV screen and everything looks different on there and different when i post it. I need to find the right balance i suppose. Also need to find what's the best way to save the files so that facebook and other mediums do not destroy the details. The framing of that was like this on purpose. I do have to confess, i had to crop the bright star out because my ASI1600MM showed that weird chequerboard artefact on the bright star but apart from that, no cropping whatsoever. Cannot wait for the next clear night and a new target :) 

10 minutes ago, Craney said:

Great work.  ?

Cheers matey :)

7 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

my ASI1600MM showed that weird chequerboard artefact on the bright star

One of my favourite targets - I really like this image.

Having just acquired a ASI1600MM-Pro (which has yet to see first light) I would really appreciate knowing what gain setting you used for your 300s exposures.

Adrian

2 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

One of my favourite targets - I really like this image.

Having just acquired a ASI1600MM-Pro (which has yet to see first light) I would really appreciate knowing what gain setting you used for your 300s exposures.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. I've used unity gain.

4 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Cheers mate, i couldn't be happier with the scope i must admit. Best decision i made with the help of @RayD . I agree, the background could benefit from bringing the black points a few notches but that's my issue, i process my images on my desktop which is connected to a TV screen and everything looks different on there and different when i post it. I need to find the right balance i suppose. Also need to find what's the best way to save the files so that facebook and other mediums do not destroy the details. The framing of that was like this on purpose. I do have to confess, i had to crop the bright star out because my ASI1600MM showed that weird chequerboard artefact on the bright star but apart from that, no cropping whatsoever. Cannot wait for the next clear night and a new target :) 

Good ol' Mr RayD - I only discovered his YouTube presence recently! I aim for a background RGB value as close to 23/23/23 as looks right, certainly not much below that or it hits clipped territory. TV screen is probably not ideal for processing, unless it is a super hi res 8K job! Yes, saving files for others to view is always a challenge. I have found that a hi-res .png file is best for on here. Interesting to hear about the dodgy star and the ZWO - I'd be interested to see what you are talking about. As for that star, Propus (Eta Gem), it is a complete pillock and my pic of the Jellyfish is ruined by it and its friend Tejat Posterior (Mu Gem)!! Look forward to your next image.

8 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Good ol' Mr RayD - I only discovered his YouTube presence recently! I aim for a background RGB value as close to 23/23/23 as looks right, certainly not much below that or it hits clipped territory. TV screen is probably not ideal for processing, unless it is a super hi res 8K job! Yes, saving files for others to view is always a challenge. I have found that a hi-res .png file is best for on here. Interesting to hear about the dodgy star and the ZWO - I'd be interested to see what you are talking about. As for that star, Propus (Eta Gem), it is a complete pillock and my pic of the Jellyfish is ruined by it and its friend Tejat Posterior (Mu Gem)!! Look forward to your next image.

His channel is great and he most certainly produces quality stuff. These RGB values you speak of, can this be done in PI because i'm sure this is what PS can do. I agree TV screen is not good but because my processing desktop is transformed in to youtube slime videos during the day, i have no means of stealing it away for the sole purpose of my astroimaging hobby :D. I'll try to remember the hi-res PNG trick mate, much appreciated. I don't have the main file handy but i'll post it when i get home. Couldn't agree more, this star is a complete pillock. I would've loved to have included within the frame but it just ruins everything.

10 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Fabulous image. It looks like the Esprit 100 is working very well for you. 300s on RGB is fine but I'd certainly step up the Ha to 1200s and grab as much fine detail as I can.

Steve

Cheers for the words of encouragement Steve. I do aim to push my NEQ6 to something more than 300s some day because i have an OAG (which is still sitting comfortably in the box it came with) but i need to try an tame it first.

2 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Great image, and looks like you got your flats issue sorted. Well worth the time invested.

Dave

Cheers mate. Oh yes absolutely. If it hadn't been the flats, i don't know what i would've done. Really am thankful to all those who contributed towards the solution. This image wouldn't have been possible without the help of the awesome folks here at SGL :)

34 minutes ago, carastro said:

Great result Ahmed, so what was the flats solution diagnosed as in the end?

Carole 

Cheers Carole :) Well the issue was to do with banding and a smudge which after taking flats has resolved it ... well chuffed about that :)

8 minutes ago, don4l said:

Love the OIII.  Well done! 

Cheers mate. I see you're from Camberley, i quite often visit my cousins down on Frimley road :)

29 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Cheers mate. I see you're from Camberley, i quite often visit my cousins down on Frimley road :)

Small world ... I work just off the Frimley Road.  The motorway is just outside my office window!

Gee, Jellyfish Neb , running man, running chicken, skull and crossbones, the propellor, butterfly, withches broom. Who dreams all these names up. At least this one resembles the name pretty well.

It's a fine image, showing great resolution, superb guiding . I think this image will sell some scopes. Having said that mines better

1 hour ago, Dave Moulton said:

Gee, Jellyfish Neb , running man, running chicken, skull and crossbones, the propellor, butterfly, withches broom. Who dreams all these names up. At least this one resembles the name pretty well.

It's a fine image, showing great resolution, superb guiding . I think this image will sell some scopes. Having said that mines better

hahahaha cheers mate. I agree, your's is indeed better because i wouldn't want to break your little heart. Am not that cruel ;)

Just now, Barry-Wilson said:

Very good first light, capturing even the faint OIII whisps the are shed off the main envelope.  Great stuff.

Cheers Barry. That is some high praise from someone as experienced as yourself. Well chuffed :) Am looking to improve here and can most certainly do with some pointers at some point.

Archived