Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do I make the clouds go away?

Jojo204

Hi all,

recently got setup and everything but info some clouds came in the way. Of course these limit my viewing as they block my telescope from the stars,  so I was wondering how to make them go away? 

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh it's really easy, you can employ one of these:

tenor.gif

and ask them to reverse spell, if you are into traditional methods, or for modern, scientific approach, there is Zarkov gun:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/zarkov-cloud-gun.html

It's a bit pricey, but from what I've heard - works every time, provided you supplied fresh batteries.

20 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I suggest extending the legs of your tripod to about 25,000 feet long, this will provide you with excellent seeing most of the time.

Hope this helps. ?

Sounds like a good idea but I don't want aircraft to collide with it ?

9 minutes ago, Jojo204 said:

Sounds like a good idea but I don't want aircraft to collide with it ?

Should be okay, I've checked with flightradar24.com and you don't appear to be under any flightpaths. Go for it!

45 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Should be okay, I've checked with flightradar24.com and you don't appear to be under any flightpaths. Go for it!

Unfortunately I am! Directly under all the morning KLM flights to Amsterdam from South America!

8 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

As buying kit seems to encourage clouds perhaps if you were to sell all your kit the clouds would go away. Wouldn't be very good for you but you would have helped the rest of us ?

Now that seems a pretty logical and good idea. Only problem is if I sell my kit then the person receiving it would cause more clouds for all of us. 

I know that governments around the world are looking into this problem as they are all very keen to create wind farms for us.   Haven't seen much success from them yet hopefully they'll have a breakthrough soon.

13 hours ago, Jojo204 said:

Hi all,

recently got setup and everything but info some clouds came in the way. Of course these limit my viewing as they block my telescope from the stars,  so I was wondering how to make them go away? 

Thanks in advance!

The only way to guarantee clear skies is to sell everything with an astronomical use! 

Personally, I'm trying reverse psychology. 

I love looking at clouds!!

Seeing those bright dots and that huge glowing orb in the sky scares me and doesn't let me sleep!

And if I can't see the sun, I'll never have to pay for sunscreen!!

By the way. So far it hasn't worked.

Come on now, everyone knows that's silly, you can't get rid of clouds.

I take the sensible approach.  Join the Cloud Appreciation Society and you'll start to hate clear sunny  afternoons when there are no nice clouds to be seen ?.

https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/

I suppose an alternative might be to buy one of these ?

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

The only way to guarantee clear skies is to sell everything with an astronomical use! 

That's one of the best ideas you've ever had Mike.  You sell all your gear, and as I'm not that far away from you, I will benefit when the clouds clear! :smile:

30 minutes ago, paulastro said:

That's one of the best ideas you've ever had Mike.  You sell all your gear, and as I'm not that far away from you, I will benefit when the clouds clear! :smile:

That's a great idea Paul!  I suggest you buy my FC100DC and all the sweeties that go along with it for twice the new price, as its got a superb pedigree along with a stunning set of volumes of visual sketches. Better than any test certificate!   But then leave it with me as I've a good stable site to observe from, and you can come here to observe under cloudless skies. 

And I'll be a happy bunny!!

1257662271_2019-03-0412_09_43.png.eb2a7f5f899ea1d4089f1a3ac383411c.png

Now seriously :D

I'm observing on the New Moon weekends almost exclusively but that's mandatory. As I'm living in the silver-white LPZ, it means it's always a drive for 4-8 hours away from home to a grey or black LPZ, otherwise, it doesn't make sense to me and a waste of time. That is quite far away and I have 3 directions to go (the fourth is the Pacific Ocean and I've experimentally found out it's too shaky to observe from there). So all I actually need to beat the clouds is to select the perfect direction to the spot where they are already gone or will be gone by the time I'm ready to set up on that spot. Some local weather models would be my best spells to figure that out  on Friday morning. Observing the local weather patterns over a couple of decades is also helpful.

So, being you, I'd rather inquiry about how to expand the UK wide enough so a single stubborn cloud couldn't ruin the scheme I'm proposing. Perhaps, reacquire your former colonies back? ;) 

Archived