NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Soul Nebula IC1871 from SE London

carastro

Last time I did this target was back in 2016.
Also called the Whirling Dervish, and if you look close at the main feature you can see why. 

Always a challenge to get images from Bromley but at least this one is doable, but it was a first quarter Moon being the image I got on Valentine's night and stayed up most of the night to do it, and had the dome on the Pod Zenith Table as it was near the Zenith.

Ha 20 x 600
Ha 4 x 900
Oiii 12 x 300 binned x 2
Sii 12 x 300 binned x 2
Also took RGB for the stars, but not managed to superimpose them successfully so have left them out.
Atik460EX, SW130PDS and HEQ5 + coma corrector 
Total (without the RGB = 6 hours 20 minutes)

jS2JtJdr2Uhf_1824x0_8ms6xFih.jpg

Very Nice work Carole! :)
I am happy to see your PDS is back in game

I was on Flaming Star nebula last nights, - testing collimation and my OAG :)

also balance and guiding of the rig with my new  piggyback Samyang 135mm + Canon, new cables and USB hub :) (getting ready for astrocamp)

My 4 slot USB hub became too small, so I decided to gift it to you :)

If you plan to be somewhere near me, - you are welcome to visit me for tea and pick up the little present ;) Otherwise, I will bring it to the camp

P.S.

I tried my RBG filters on the Needle galaxy recently, results... emm.... a bit too messy (Light pollution wise)... 

Thanks Sara, well I do have you and others to thank for the colour as you inspired me.  Though I think there is a chunk of blue missing at the bottom, I guess it's a weak Oiii/Sii signal because of the LP being overpowered by the Ha. 

Roland, thanks, that's very kind of you both your comments and the hub gift, and it's thanks to you I am able to use my 130PDS again.  

Have been using a cheap Hub recently so I could use EQMod, some nights it works, fine and other nights are iffy, but ended up going back to the handset for this image.  

Carole 

I look forward to seeing it Simmo.  I had horrible gradients in all of my subs, but as I was imaging from SE London and there was a 9 day old Moon I guess it is not surprising.  Thank goodness for GE.

Carole 

On 17/02/2019 at 09:37, carastro said:

Thanks Sara, well I do have you and others to thank for the colour as you inspired me.  Though I think there is a chunk of blue missing at the bottom, I guess it's a weak Oiii/Sii signal because of the LP being overpowered by the Ha. 

I think you are right Carole, the lower half is more blue from OIII . . . when you don't have lighting flooding across the sky from a massive city that is ?.

It is remarkable the detail you have captured especially in the Whirling Dervish and the pinnacled structure in the lower half.  Well done in your testing home conditions.

Thanks Barry, you were one of the "others" in the colour inspiration mentioned in my reply to Sara.  

I'd love to do this from a dark location, but being stuck at home through the winter, I am scratching around for targets that are doable from home. 

Carole 

Very nice image Carole. 

I really do need to try this narrowband stuff with some commitment . When I see beautiful renditions such as this. It really make me want to give it a go. Very inspirational :)

Love those colours too. 

Thanks for sharing  

Dave  

really do need to try this narrowband stuff with some commitment . When I see beautiful renditions such as this. It really make me want to give it a go. Very inspirational :)

Thank you Dave.  You really should give it a go, there are many targets that excel in narrowband as opposed to LRGB.  Also a number of targets that benefit from the addition of Ha. 

Plus of course it helps in a LP location, certainly with the brighter targets such as this one. 

Carole 

Archived