Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

Claydon

Hello everybody. I'm claydon and I'm from the delightful city of Preston. Just recently bought a telescope ( Celestron  Astromaster 130EQ -MD ) and hoping to do some amateur observations from my quite dark back garden and possibly dark sky areas within the Uk. I joined as I'm hoping to get some tips with regards using this type of telescope e.g. RA and DEC setting circles. Anyway hope you all have good week ahead. I'll post my questions in the relevant sections within the forum , so it saves admin having to move them around. 

Cheers

Hi Claydon

At this stage I wouldn't be too worried about the setting circles on your scope. At this stage concentrate on how to polar align your scope (assuming equatorial mount).  Then you will be able to comfortably track objects at higher magnification.  I have used the setting circles on my own scope but its a bit tedious to be honest. Most of us "star hop" to the desired target. Also, get your finderscope aligned with your  eyepiece view. There are loads of good "how to's" on the web which will give step by step instructions.  You may never actually use those setting circles ??

1 minute ago, AstroCiaran123 said:

Hi Claydon

At this stage I wouldn't be too worried about the setting circles on your scope. At this stage concentrate on how to polar align your scope (assuming equatorial mount).  Then you will be able to comfortably track objects at higher magnification.  I have used the setting circles on my own scope but its a bit tedious to be honest. Most of us "star hop" to the desired target. Also, get your finderscope aligned with your  eyepiece view. There are loads of good "how to's" on the web which will give step by step instructions.  You may never actually use those setting circles ??

Thankyou very much . I'm totally new to this so expect questions hehe ?

If you are totally new to amateur astronomy I would strongly advise that you learn the constellations and brighter stars first, before getting the scope out. Without a basic knowledge of the night sky you may find it very frustrating getting to grips with your new scope. Must of us here would advise starting with binoculars to learn the locations of the popular telescope objects. Get the basic's down first and you won't go too far wrong ?

Claydon

Welcome from land down under

There is some good APPS around for viewing what is above us

I use HeavensAbove, which also has a link to viewing the flyover of the ISS

Sky Safari is another one for deep sky objects

John  

Archived