SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

70-900 jessops

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL Anthony.

As to it being a waste of money only you can say, if it's what's referred to as a Bird Jones design then it's a compromise to achieve built in magnification by adding an extra optical element inside the scope and this generally draws criticism from telescope designers. edit ignore this bit

No reason it can't get nice views of celestial objects then you can decide if you want to go further in the hobby or abandon it but don't be put off by what the scope can show you.

A lot depends on your expectations so if you've been swayed by magazine astro' photos prepare to be disappointed, if you're happy observing light from some faint fuzzy object that started its journey before the Solar System even existed then all is good :grin:

Having gained some experience with the scope you'll be better informed and  prepared for the next step in spending.

Dave

Just had a look at it and it should be fine as a first scope long focal length so not putting too much stress on the optics

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

As to it being a waste of money only you can say, if it's what's referred to as a Bird Jones design then it's a compromise to achieve built in magnification by adding an extra optical element inside the scope and this generally draws criticism from telescope designers.

The telescope is a 70x900 refractor with EQ1 mount. The original list price was apparently a whopping £199.99 and now down to £68.97.

Just now, Cornelius Varley said:

The telescope is a 70x900 refractor with EQ1 mount. The original list price was apparently a whopping £199.99 and now down to £68.97.

Yes saw that, edited post, seems reasonable enough as a first scope at that price.

Dave

The advert mentions a max magnification of 675x, this is not possible with this scope, the max will be around 100x, besides most viewing is done at low power.  Start off with viewing the Moon and take it from there, good luck!

15 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

Thanks people ive just bout a orion 20mm plossl ep because everyone say the ep that come with it are rubbish..... Will that improve the scope 

Can't hurt, as said a decent low power eyepiece and given the focal length should yield some good results, hours of fun to be had Moon observing, identifying features and lunar landing sites, should also work well on things like the Double Cluster in Perseus well placed ATM.

Dave

Enjoy your new scope. I have a 70/700 refractor from Lidl and I've seen all sorts of wonderful things with it (now upgraded). 

Have a look at the original eyepiece and if there is a big 'H' on it , for example, 'H20' then your new eyepiece will be a massive upgrade (probably a big upgrade on a K eyepiece too).

Anyway, welcome to the hobby. The free program Stellarium is really helpful. It will show you all the stars at your location for any given time.

2 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

They say H25, H12.5 and SR4 on the ep i got with it

The SR4 is the least useful of those. The other two should work OK though. Did you get a barlow lens with the scope ?

The erecting eyepieces don't tend to give good results for astronomy. OK for daylight viewing though.

A 3x barlow lens will turn your 25mm eyepiece into an effective 8.3mm one and the 20mm into a 6.66mm one so thats going to give you quite a bit of magnfication variation to get you going.

I'd probably not invest more at this point but use what you have (the SR4mm sparingly I'd suggest !).

Try low power to start with (25mm, 20mm and 12.5mm eyepieces on their own). Much observing is done at low to medium powers in astronomy.

I think you'll find that your new plossl will be so much better than your other eyepieces. My scope is different but when I looked through the erecting eyepiece it was like looking through a drinking straw. Without it, during the day (and at night of course), everything was back to front. It doesn't matter at night but I also felt that it didn't matter during the day either. The Town Hall clock was back to front.

Have a play around and see what you think. I think your plossl upgrade was a great decision.

A bit late I am to the topic at hand, but the mount portrayed within the listing's image is an EQ-2...

https://www.jessops.com/p/jessops/900x70-telescope-white-97004

...whilst the description states an "EQ-1".

As to what is supplied upon the kit's arrival, is unknown.  The EQ-1 is the smallest of equatorials, and indeed my own 70/900 achromat was supplied with one...

kit4.jpg.bc1302409276ab98c5b109e6c26cc0db.jpg

But the mount pictured within the listing, again, is an EQ-2, and the next size up.  I have an EQ-2 as well...

1851978749_EQ-2hyper-tuned.jpg.d66fdc877e60c5a77564718822d91c7c.jpg

An EQ-2 would "betterly" support a 70/900 achromat.  Which one do you have in fact?  In any event, I would suggest making certain that the axes are not bound up and difficult to turn, but I would need to know which mount you do have in order to illustrate how to go about that, if needed.

For merely £68 as an introduction to astronomy it's a really great purchase. It is much better than wasting £250 on other limited telescopes which is the route most people take. But don't waste money trying to improve the view by buying more eyepieces. Enjoy what you have, whilst saving up for your next scope that (if this hobby bites you), won't be too long coming.

My first scope cost me £250, I then spent £250 on cheap (junk) eyepieces and inside three months I had upgraded to a SE4 and wished I had saved the initial £500. I soon upgraded to an Evolution 8 and then wish I had saved my second £500, albeit I justify keeping my SE4 as a 'grab & go', but  I have not used it for 12 months as I mainly do EAA from home.  Over four years I have spent the price of a small car on this hobby and only now am I feeling content with my equipment. But had I invested more time with my first scope, used that to learn what I really wanted, I could have spent so much less. So take your time, be patient, keep your wallet in your pocket.

I partially agree with the above advice. You shouldn't spend 250 pounds on eyepieces. However, I bought 2 second-hand plossls from ebay for about 12 pounds together (everyone wants to get rid of their Skywatcher ones that come with their new scope). It was such a big improvement over my H20 and H4 and probably the best astro investment I've ever made. It really helped me on my way. 

It's true that when I upgraded my scope I felt I needed better eyepieces too. It was still worth the investment for the 6 months I used them for.

Archived