Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting back into imaging after a long break

Gina

Think I have sorted out all the optical parts, spaces, adapters, etc. for the dual imaging rig.  To do is a new 3D printed mounting and a second control/capture electronics box and contents.  This will not happen for several days as there are higher priorities.  The ROR automation project is proceeding gradually...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gina said:

Think I have sorted out all the optical parts, spaces, adapters, etc. for the dual imaging rig.  To do is a new 3D printed mounting and a second control/capture electronics box and contents.  This will not happen for several days as there are higher priorities.  The ROR automation project is proceeding gradually...

Did you get the email today from Rigid Ink saying they are no longer going to sell filament?

Yes, I did - and the Facebook video.  Gutted, as I've found nothing to beat their filament.  However, they are not the only supplier and they are expensive.  ColorFabb in The Netherlands do economy ranges of PLA and PETG with are almost as good and a lot cheaper though limited in range of colours.  Their full price filament retails at about the same price as rigid.ink (not helped by the exchange rate).

8 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Yep, but it doesn't surprise me as although they make\made good filament, it was always more expensive than some of the other 'better' makes e.g. Prusa (even with the shipping costs)…..

I've always been bit sceptical to be honest. None of the filament brands 'make' their own feedstock, even if they extrude their own filament (which I doubt) .

rigid.ink's 1kg spools seem rather small compared with ColorFabb's standard 2.2Kg and they also sell 4.5Kg and 8kg spools.  With the rate I get through filament the bigger reels are a benefit.  Yes, I know RI do 3Kg reels of some filament.

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've always been bit sceptical to be honest. None of the filament brands 'make' their own feedstock, even if they extrude their own filament (which I doubt) .

As I understand it, rigid.ink brew their own concoctions and extrude it.

• Like 1

Some time ago I tested a new filament for them - woodfill - this was supposed to be their own formula.  Apparently they have a chemistry team (probably just one or two people)

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Not sure they do - have to ask the boss - Ed Tyson.

They would need one of these if they did! I can't see Ed cracking and fractionating oil then polymerising it on site.  Plastic feedstock comes from people like BASF and DOW, usually as granules or pellets for further processing:

materialshandling_835x557.jpg?width=928&

On 04/09/2019 at 21:25, Gina said:

My all sky camera is on the books but lower priority.  When it was working it was very useful for watching for clouds.  Currently the remote focus isn't working and the new case needs finishing.  One plan I had for a deluxe ASC has been scuppered by ZWO discontinuing their ASI 385MC-Cool camera.

I think Altair Astro still do a GP3 Cam 385MC cooled.

Dave

• Like 1

Set up for imaging tonight with a different 105mm f2.8 lens but this one seems poor compared with the other one.  Still showing condensation but very slowly clearing.  

Thought I'd image the NAN as I haven't done much on that.  Here is a 30s Ha image using ROI set to 2500x2300px stretched and resized in GIMP.

test_Light_H_Alpha_30_secs_2019-09-06T21-35-20_001a.png.f5036947cb627d2c7f6f9e2602b6d06f.png

Edited by Gina

Yes, autofocus applied and that was the best!!  HFR of 2.37 but it looks a lot worse than that.  Think I'll try a manual focus.

Edited by Gina