Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting back into imaging after a long break

Gina

6 minutes ago, Gina said:

capture that wasn't working

Yeah. I remember something similar. Was this a 'capture' capture or under the scheduler? IIRC, using the latter solved the issue; it kept retrying when capture gave up.

Cheers

The lens that got wet has now dried out and seems fine looking straight through it.  Looking at an angle the droplets seem to have left little marks on the coating.  Don't know whether that will affect the images until I try it.  Here is a photo, lit by my desk lamp.

168125637_Lens01.JPG.3850c048403a701bbbe418939f295c6e.JPG

I've had issues with Ekos getting wedged on a job before. Usually the capture module kicks off autofocus, I stop or pause the job while it's doing it to let me make an adjustment to the sequence, and on resuming the sequence it just sort of sits there. Normally I just restart Ekos - it only happens once a night at most, and if I set up the capture sequence early on and don't touch it it seems entirely reliable.

• Like 1

The tree pruner arrived about teatime and I've been pruning.  I didn't think to take a photo before doing the job - guess I was too keen to get on with it but I found a photo in my collection from earlier which gives a pretty good idea.  The apple tree on the right has been almost destroyed by the goat eating the bark but she hasn't touched the elder tree on the left which has been the main trouble.  Just taken another photo (after the prune) from the same location - the east window of my living room.

717173574_Trees01.JPG.e03240ee4ad097c9cc96778562a81c8e.JPG

835995741_Trees02.JPG.5838df978a7e53820977dd35fecf3074.JPG

Edited by Gina
typos

A bit more pruning this morning mainly to tidy up the trees but removed a couple of branches that stood up above the rest as viewed from the observatory pier top.  The edge of the dew shield can be seen at the left edge of the image.

2069360114_Trees04.JPG.72d38caebdd19184678e380fbc57d959.JPG

2001020966_Trees03.JPG.9b131760bd8d2947f143c45a275b3dd5.JPG

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

I like elderflower cordial but I also like astro imaging.  Going to chop a lot more off!  Down to the angle of the neighbour's trees from the imaging rig.  By next spring I would expect plenty of flowers.

Rain stopped play!!!  Taken a lot out but plan to do more when the rain stops.  There won't be much of it left by the time I've finished.  That pruning tool is marvellous!  Branches up to an inch or so with the hook and bigger with the saw.  Both are very sharp, the hook has a pulley system to increase the force and the saw has widely spaced very sharp teeth - it cuts through live branches quite easily.

Edited by Gina

Done as suggested with the elder tree - given it a damn good seeing to! 🤣  Removed a fair bit of dead wood from the apple tree too.  Photos when I've got my breath back!