Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting back into imaging after a long break

Gina

Hello everyone,

First time out with the telescope in over a year - Pesky back injury and Scottish weather.

When I noticed the clear sky I was as excited as a kid at Christmas.

M31 here we come :) Was going to try the new Ascom setup but will settle for Windows Remote Desktop. It’s nice to get the feeling in the hands and feet again! 

Clear skies / enjoy the music :)

Murray

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking I might change to a longer focal length lens as I seem to have covered all there is ATM with the 28mm.  Anyway, I'll make sure the power is available before playing with anything else.

Power Distribution Box is finished and working.  (Except that I've mislaid one of the fuseholder tops so charging the battery directly from the PSU.  This is relatively safe as the PSU has current limiting.)  The orange line on the box is the sun streaming in through a slightly open door.  I'm planning to make a cover for the battery with ventillation.

1604800316_PowerDistributionBox04.jpg.6be239e0bdc3426c6612e17beeec3a47.jpg

Now I have the power back on, I'm going to bring the imaging rig indoors and change lenses.  The 105mm lens is of similar size to the 28mm and I thing the remote focussing arrangement will work as it is.  The difference in FOV between the 105mm f2.8 lens and the 135mm f2.5 is not all that much but the 135mm lens is much bigger physically.

This is KStars showing the relative FOV with the Cygnus Loop in the centre of the field.

467017392_Screenshotfrom2019-09-0118-05-50.png.b06d8df309a2e0d4451ae81eecfb27ae.png

Lens changed to the 105mm FL and focus set up on pylon on horizon about 5 miles away.  Focus gear attached to lens focus ring and stepper motor engaged.  Accuracy of focus checked by using the manual remote focus (Astroberry Focuser).  Imaging rig is now ready for taking back out to observatory.