Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think I got spoilt by aperture ...

emadmoussa

Several sessions so far with my 8" LX90, tried the new large eyepieces and I'm quite happy with them. The scope is great. The UHTC coating is without a doubt a real thing. For an SCT, it's quite bright.

BTW, the hugely discounted 40mm 60-deg Plossl has exceeded my expectations. Absolutely stunning. 

But, considering that most of my past observing was done using a 12" Dob,  I, perhaps expectedly,  can't help but feel that the 8", although a versatile scope, is tantalisingly close to resolving DSOs...but not quite there. If it had been my largest aperture, the 8" would've left me with many WOW moments.  

I believe I was spoilt by big aperture. If there's temperature for aperture, I'd definitely be having a massive fever right now ;) 

That large 40mm really was a great deal...

I only own one small scope and I'm always suffering aperture fever.  I'm guessing most people do, no matter how big their scopes are - I guess you can't help but wonder what a little more aperture or focal length could achieve - I spend way too much thinking about it..

Enjoy the clear skies that have to come soon!  

Merry Christmas, Mark

7 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I must be the exception in wanting smaller and smaller scopes, cant go realy wide with big apertures :icon_biggrin: 

Alan

Don't worry Alan you're not alone. I'm not exactly going smaller and smaller but looking to stay compact and manageable.

Bigger scope = less observing.

No rushing out to take advantage of an unexpected clear spell. I don’t even consider observing if the moon / haze is in the sky.

I miss the spur of the moment gorilla observing sessons which sometimes turn into something special. And, my little Grab & Go 10” lacks the punch of the big dog.

However. I’m building a trolley that can easily move the 16” dob fully assembled. So. No more excuses!!! It may even save me the trouble/expense of building an obsey to get round the logistical issues related to ungainly Dob ownership.?

Paul

I want to keep my scopes small too. I do plan to upgrade my 102 Mak to a 127 though, eventually, and sidegrade my ST80 to an ED72. I had 6 inch newt for a while, but that was way too big for me.

I also want to keep my eyepieces small - no two inch monsters for me!

From the same site, I agree with you - my 12” dob nearly always delivers better views than my 70ed, although the latter delivers nice wide Milky Way views that the dob simply can’t.

However, the dob never gets taken to much much darker skies on holiday, but the 70ed does, and it really shines. So great skies and small scope can definitely beat average skies and big scope. 

Archived