Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Response from Neil Bone - Astronomy Now.

admin

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an imager myself so hardly committed one way or the other but I think a certain amount of conflict is good anyway. I mean if we all agreed with each other all the time it would be pretty dull and we'd be in a kind of mutual appreciation society. Having been in a few of those in my time its not healthy and its DULL.

Cant wait to see the post myself.

I can see both sides of the argument myself.

I understand where Neil is coming from, especially with his comments over M42 images, but he is failing to take into account that each image is the product of a learning experience in both observing and imaging for that individual.

Yes we see countless images of the same thing, but they all have a tale to tell for that person.

Niel is primarily a visual astronomer, we have all known that for years, but I dont think that branch of astronomy is at risk of dying out, and is certainly well represented on this site, just as much so as imaging.

Of course imaging generates more traffic as more are asking questions as they take their first foray's into imaging, I know from personal experience that I always have questions I need answers too when it comes to my imaging.

Visual observing is by nature a more intuitive experience, once one has learnt their way around the sky a little and the dark art of averted vision it becomes almost second nature.

I dont think any of us would frown upon visual astronomy, personally I can still spend an hour starring at M42 through the eyepiece and it still fills me with more awe than any image of it. The reason? quite simply because its such a tactile experience, its real, there and now, I am seeing it with my own eyes.

Of course there will be those that come into the hobby because of the images they have seen in magazines and want to reproduce the same thing themselves, but I have yet to find one who hasnt been seduced by the eyepiece itself.

I will not argue that sketching is on the downturn, or that sketching can help "train" the eye to see more detail, that cheaper camera's capable of producing good results seem a better option to those who wish to capture that moment at the eyepiece for posterity, but people will still sketch, most with an artistic bent will try it at some point.

But on the main point of sites being more imaging orientated I still have to disagree, the main sites I use are this one and cloudy nights, both of which have equal sections devoted to the different disciplines that make up astronomy.

"Can someone point me in the direction to where I can read what your all on about......."

This kinda gives it away.....the only way I can find out what your on about is to ask, is it not? I have found the other post now so its okay, you needn't worry your selves anymore.

Neil kinda has a point tho, lost of beginners coming on here are instantly asking "how can I start astrophotography" or "what camera do I need"....way before they even know what they are looking at. And there are always about 5 million images (slight exaggeration) of the same thing. Got to walk before you can run! There is the other side tho, imaging is pretty neat and these days it is relativly easy to capture something amazing given all the hardware and software we have available.

I think you will find my first real post on this thread asks what its all about.....(scroll up!)

look guys, its not difficult to aim a digital camera through the eyepiece of a telecope and gain an okay image of the moon is it? Afocal astrophotograhy is extremly simple these days given the abilities of mega-pixel camera phones etc etc and imaging software such as Photoshop.

Prime focus, granted is more tricky but compared with the days of film imaging, digital is far more productive and quicker, you can asses results progressivly rather than having to wait for them to be processed at a lab a day later. The addition of imaging software for post-processing is also marvelous as it allows those all important tweaks to be added.

Everyone should have their own opinion. This was NB's one. I think it's very brave off him to come here and explain it. Most people wouldn't.

Astronomy is one of those hobbies where there are so many different directions to go down. And as long as we do not single out just one and ignore the rest then thats OK with me.

Take a million M42's I like looking at them all, but then I love reading the observation reports as well.

So let NB have his say.

Deep down I bet his regretting saying it anyway.

There was a woman in one of my uni lectures....she took some images of clouds during the day stating that they were astrophotography images of the sun........oh dear!

I must hasted to add that she wasn't on the course the following year!

I suppose in an indirect way, the lady was right, otherwise she could not have imaged the clouds without the light from the sun.

I assumed she left the course because she was belittled by it. Does not sound like a class I would like to be a member of either.

Ron. :D

I think this thread, together with the other LONG thread should be put to bed.

If Neil Bone wants to comment. Simply let him register as a member, complete with all the welcomes then he is free to post. He could also contribute to the observing boards.

As things stand this lacks productivity.

I can't believe I am posting this!!!

John

I think this thread, together with the other LONG thread should be put to bed.

If Neil Bone wants to comment. Simply let him register as a member, complete with all the welcomes then he is free to post. He could also contribute to the observing boards.

As things stand this lacks productivity.

I can't believe I am posting this!!!

John

You did, I can read it.

I suppose in an indirect way, the lady was right, otherwise she could not have imaged the clouds without the light from the sun.

I assumed she left the course because she was belittled by it. Does not sound like a class I would like to be a member of either.

Ron. :D

You are quite wrong, we all enjoyed her being there and no-one commented to her on what she was doing, infact a group of us tried to include her in our own work. It was down to herself and the markers that she wasn't there anymore.

John, I agree with what your saying, surely Neil can be allowed to air his views in peace. Just because some of us might disagree isn't reason for him not to post or say what he wants....all this fuss and he isn't even on here yet!

Archived