Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Response from Neil Bone - Astronomy Now.

admin

Neil has asked for the chance to respond to the thread regarding his article in the recent AN magazine. The Admin team are, of course, happy for Neil to do. Part of SGL's remit is to promote discussion in all aspects of astronomy and it is only fair that Neil has the chance to discuss the points raised.

It is all too easy, however, for these discussions to spill over into personal attacks or even libellous comments and under no circumstances will we allow this to happen - from anyone! Remember, it is the point of view that is up for discussion, nothing else!!

We trust that common sense will prevail and look forward to open, honest and interesting discussion.

Admin

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit like Jonathon Ross and the talentless hairy bloke "news", let's not get things out of perspective, or blown out of proportion. Anyone who saw Andrew Sachs trapped in his doorway by a band of marauding press without a story could see how the poor bloke felt about the fuss.

There doesn't seem to me to be a need to set this up as though Neil is coming in from the Blue Corner as the outsider, whilst all the SGL crew are in the crowd cheering the Red Corner. So that rather than Neil feel he has to defend his article, he can rather explain his viewpoint, in the same way that those who expressed an opinion demonstrated why they weren't comfortable with some of the statements.

What's nice about about SGL is that the average age of the members (MiniDaz swings the stats a bit) is that which you can safely say "Old enough to know better", having been around the block a few times. I think it is this level of maturity and experience, combined with general good nature and benevolence, that makes for such constructive discussions.

So Neil, should you read this, please dont feel duty bound to apologise, retract or diminish your original points just for the sake of keeping the peace or smoothing things over. After all, our individual opinions are what make us individual, so long may we agreeably disagree!

I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming thread, but I'd hate to think it started with the feeling of "Let Battle Commence!"

Just my $0.02

TJ

Very eloquently put TJ and in line with my own thoughts - having met Neil, I think he is one of the 'good guys' and I'd hate to think that there is any hint of 'lamb to the slaughter' in the new thread when it arrives. As an imager, I think his comments were 'unfortunate' but I don't think he was looking to offend. I hope he gets a good and fair 'SGL style' hearing - that is what makes this particular forum special.

:D:help: I'm immediately reminded of Judge Roy Bean's statement of 'The accused of this county will have a fair hearing in the eyes of the law. Then I hang 'em.'

I'm with TJ on this, Neil doesn't have to respond but if he does then fair enough, I'll have a listen then enjoy the next issue of AN.

TJ, the possibility of this happening has been discussed amongst the moderators/ Admin and it won't be allowed to occur. :D

Which is good (the best place for intentional flame baiting is alt.pets.cats/dogs/budgies, just ask which type tastes best etc etc etc), but I'd hate to think also that the thread would be, or indeed HAVE to be over-policed.

Like, slowing down when passing a police car because of fear of doing something wrong, i'm sure the protagonists involved would not appreciate being so muzzled by admin. I'm sure it wont come to that though.

The whole discussion so far reminds me very much of a verse by Rudyard Kipling, wherein there is always a voice in the ear questioning one's results. It's called The Conundrum of the Workshops and you can find it here;

http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_conundrum.htm

or perhaps its just me..... :help:

but I'd hate to think also that the thread would be, or indeed HAVE to be over-policed.

Thats going to be entirely up to you guys.

Conduct our selves like responsible, respectful people and Admin won't have to get involved.

i'm sure the protagonists involved would not appreciate being so muzzled by admin.

I think we are getting a little in front of our selves here.

No one is being muzzled by Admin nor has Admin any intention of doing this for the sake of it. BUT

Admin won't stand by and let this turn into any kind of free for all just because the protagonists don't appreciate being moderated.....

My only personal advice would be to think before you hit the post button.....

Thanks Kev but my vote for the best M42 would go to Steppenwolf....

Hope the thread doesn't degenerate into a slanging match - My copy of AN eventually turned up this week so it was my first chance to read "the Article" in full and in the end I wasn't that bothered by it...

Billy...

I think it speaks volumes that Neil should even concider coming onto our forum to discuss his points of view and I for one appreciate the total openness and fairness of the members of this forum and trust completely in the sense of honesty and fair play which pervades our family and I hope that Neil will find this to be so and actually stay on as welcome and wanted member of this ever growing band of universal vagabonds that wander happily amongst the stars I for one will welcome him with open arms and bid him stay Regards Pete

Thankyou for the link Gaz.....Personally i dont think he is being ignorant as MartinB suggests,just giving his opinion,if he thinks there is to much emphasis on visual work then he's entitled to that opinion......sorry but i dont see what the fuss is about.

I hope we give Neil a big warm welcome. He's given a talk to my local club a few times and is a thoroughly nice chap. And does image a bit himself, although i think Neil still uses film.

I wasn't too bothered by the article either but then i'm not an imager, so i don't suppose it would offend.

Anyway i look forward to Neil posting on the forum. And hopefully he may stay around for more than just chatting about that article.

Russ

I watched the original thread for the first few days, then gave up.

Personally i dont think he is being ignorant as MartinB suggests,just giving his opinion,if he thinks there is to much emphasis on visual work then he's entitled to that opinion.

Agreed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether we choose to display it here, (praising or criticizing telescopes or other subjects at our discretion), in person, or in a magazine. The difference as I see it, is that Neil has a very public podium, and as a result, has a wider audience to potentially offend. I believe we are all very passionate about the subjects that interest us, and in a situation like this there is always potential for a conflicting opinion to stoke fires unintentionally.

sorry but i dont see what the fuss is about.

I didn't either.

Archived