Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Challenge #21 - Comet 46P

The theme for the 21st challenge - December 2018 - is Comet 46P!

Start Date: 1st December 2018
End Date: 28th February 2019

Rules: This is a special challenge to coincide with Comet 46P. We want to see videos, time lapses, diagrams, sketches and anything else you can come up with! 

Prize: A personalised mug for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places featuring your image kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please start a new topic with your image in the ‘Imaging Challenge #21' forum (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JOC said:

I've never heard of this comet.  Is it a 'naked eye' object or will it need a magnifier of some description?  Also will it be easily findable?

It depends on your skies really, it is mag 4 ish but large and diffuse, some people are reporting naked eye sightings from darker skies. Should in theory be easy enough in binos but I have failed a couple of times, last night with the 72mm frac. Need a bit more 'ammo', might try the 7" next.

Easy enough to locate, map attached. The BinocularSky newsletter also has a map in this month's edition.

Screenshot_20181210-230711_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JOC said:

I've never heard of this comet.  Is it a 'naked eye' object or will it need a magnifier of some description?  Also will it be easily findable?

There’s quite a few interesting threads in the Imaging Widefield section that are worth looking at.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JOC said:

Depends on your eyes and your skies, I couldn't see it naked eye from a dark site last night with a good clear sky but found it with binoculars, it's fairly easy to find with binoculars  now it's brightened a bit and heading steadily northwards past some easy to find objects.

On the 16th it will pass between the Hyades and the Pleiades.

Dave

• Like 1

Interesting the skies tonight were super murky for me and I discover the new 64Bit DSS comet mode doesn't let me free select the comet, so will try the older 3.4.4 to see if that version does.

Edit: haha I had forgotten to hold down the shift key to enable free movement, now remembered so will try a new stack with comet marked.

Edited by happy-kat

Imaged on December 17, 1:30am EST US. 50, one minute exposures processed in Pixinsight and turned into a GIF format with PIPP, Canon 50Da, Astrotech at72ed scope piggybacked on my at8in.

Edited by NovaTJ

Just sharing my frustration. Have processed the comet on a suppressed background and it is good to use. Just processed my stars with a healed comet area and Capella, all ready and layered in with my stars and ready to put my comet in too only and the comet dimensions do not match, ARGH.

I had forgotten to bin it so easy to fix and try again, though really I should process the comet again binned first after crop.

Edited by happy-kat

• Grant pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...