Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New here. Hoping to learn.

EverettCHaag

Hello, the name is Chad. I'm new to this all, and as there are no local clubs or anything to join, I've resorted to trying to find a nice helpful online community.

I just bought a Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ telescope. I know this probably isn't the best scope, but it was affordable and I really wanted an EQ mount to try and learn it.

I spent a fair amount of time researching types of scopes and then how to use the EQ mounts and finally making sure my scope was collimated correctly, so I've only gotten to take it out once for 3 hours so far.

My first time out with my binoculars I found a weird cluster that I loved to look at, after a lot of research I found out it was The Pleiades! So currently my goal is to find this again but with my telescope now. 

I'm really looking forward to reading up a bunch here and learning what I can from people a bit more experienced, also chatting with people with a similar interest.

Hi, Chad, and welcome to SGL.

Would you appreciate the "best" scope (if there is such a thing) at this stage? The 114 is a perfectly adequate performer and will give you some nice views.

I would suggest you download one of the free planetarium software packages to help you find things. Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium are popular ones - each has a different interface and you will probably find you prefer one a lot over the other (something that can lead to a lot of 'friendly' rivalry on the forum!), so download both and decide which suits you best.

One word of warning about the Pleiades: They are magnificent in binoculars, but are almost too big for a scope. Make sure you use a low magnification to get it in your field of view.

Enjoy the journey.

Hi Chad, a very warm welcome from me, I love star clusters and for me the Pleiades is the top of the food chain, well done for finding that, one of the most beautiful sights in the night sky.  Just below it is a group called the Hyades which is the nose of Taurus the bull, and nearby is Aldebaran, the eye of the bull, a bright orange giant, try that next time you are out.  Good luck!

Hi Chad. Now you've found the Pleiades you'll be able to find it time and time again. There's a beautiful double cluster in Perseus called NGC 884 and NGC 869. I used to find it by star hopping from Cassiopeia. It was one of the first clusters I ever found and so always has a special feel to it for me.

Best of luck with your new scope

Archived