Hi from Somerset!

Jojo204

Hi all!

I have done a couple posts before this one with beginner stuff but I thought an official greeting would be nice! I live in the south west with the beautiful scenery (although it is quite a boring place to live otherwise) and not much light pollution! I am mainly an aviation photographer but have been doing basic DSLR astrophotography for some while now! I'm gonna be getting myself a telescope soon so looking forward to that too! Can't wait to explore the universe one click at a time!

?

1 minute ago, spillage said:

Hi @Jojo204

Looks like your just up the road from me. Are you a member of wells and mendip astronomy club?

Cheers,

No I'm not actually, didn't know about it! Interested in joining though now that you've said it!

Hi, Jojo, and welcome to SGL.

Just to prove we can have friendly disagreements on SGL, I'm going to offer a different opinion ot John (@Cletrac). Whilst good tracking is definitely important, goto is not. Many imaging programs (eg Sharpcap) offer the option to "platesolve" ... so you take an image, the program works out where you are looking and tells the mount how to move to reach your desired target. It does this by going through another (free) program called EQMOD. There is plenty of info about these things on other threads on the forum, so I won't go into it in detail here. Any questions just ask.

Enjoy the journey.

23 hours ago, Floater said:

Welcome. Enjoy yourself and have fun, ‘one click at a time’.

I like the phrase and it suggests you’ve got the idea that the hobby shouldn’t be guzzled! ??

I learnt with not only astrophotography but other things as well, they should not be rushed as it can then make you bored of the hobby and not satisfied. Kind of links to 'quality not quantity'. 

20 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Jo

Welcome from Land Down Under

Do not be afraid to ask which type of scope to get

If going to do AP, then need definitely need one with Go-To

John

I already did on my other post, but yeh as I'm starting out I think I'll stick with a GoTo ?

Archived