SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2018 Astronomy photograph of the year winners.

pete_l

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think any of the winners were SGL-ers, but I made the shortlist with an image of The Beehive Cluster. It’s in the book and on the interactive display in the exhibition. I was at the awards ceremony in Greenwich last week - a fun occasion, though as a UK citizen I felt very much in the minority! Not surprisingly the vast majority of entrants were from far away dark skies, especially in the deep skies sections. Well done to the very worthy winners, the images are stunning. What struck me most was the number of images and categories that are more ‘landscapes at night’ rather than ‘astronomy photography’ - call me old fashioned! I think those kind of Earth referenced images appeal to a general audience more as they are ‘easier’ to relate to. 

Almost the highlight of the ceremony for me was a visit to the Royal Observatory the following day. What a fascinating place that shows how influential England was around 150+ years ago. The hard work and dedication from the astronomers at that time is impressive.

There is some amazing work which most importantly will inspire more people getting involved with astronomy.

With all the other submissions, I am somewhat perplexed by the choice of the winner. Incredible picture but is it an astronomy picture? there's little sky in there.:-)

Well done for being short-listed.  The quality across the range of categories is truly awe inspiring.   I agree with you on the comment about 'landscapes'.   Yes the images derived from a telescopic field of view have a hidden technical aspect  as well as a 'dedication' factor to them which cannot be represented.

The only way I'll get a prize is when I capture the two colliding meteors at the moment of Solar totality with some aurora and noctilucents in the background !!

I like the Pleiades widefield by Damian Peach, have seen a ton of his work and its all pretty stunning stuff. Though I dont really do ap in any sort of real sence I do consider the works of others to be part of my overall observing experience and that certainly includes all the fantastic images here on SGL...

It's a remarkable achievement by Mario Cogo to come both first and second in the Stars and Nebulae section but, you know what, I do think he deserves it. The winning image is the best dusty nebula I ever recall seeing and the Witch head is of benchmark quality, too.

Tom and I are in the book with the Hidden Galaxy image, Tom's processing.

The judging has, to my mind, reached a high standard now.

Olly

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

It's a remarkable achievement by Mario Cogo to come both first and second in the Stars and Nebulae section but, you know what, I do think he deserves it. The winning image is the best dusty nebula I ever recall seeing and the Witch head is of benchmark quality, too.

Tom and I are in the book with the Hidden Galaxy image, Tom's processing.

The judging has, to my mind, reached a high standard now.

Olly

Judging as well as images? Being a newcomer to AP I don't know the past benchmarks.. I viewed the article with my jaw dropped, would love to see some image from 10 years or more ago to see the transition.

Archived