NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hello from wiltshire, swindon!

ottoman

hey people! thought it was finally time i got on a forum so here i am! The names Dan from sunny swindon. oh yey :sunny: . i have just purchased a planisphere this morning and have just started reading, astronomy for dummies and i cant put it down!

One of my relatives bought a telescope a few years ago, was only a cheapy but it was still enought for me to go WOW!

I plan to get a telescope after christmas, i would love some advice on what to get but im sure you guys have explained this subject thousands of times, so i will look on your beginner advice. Any usefull tips would be great!

cheers

Dan

Hello Dan and welcome to the forum..

Have a browse through this section which will give you some advice..

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/board,41.0.html

And have a look at this excellent video from Rob.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,33320.0.html

Just give us an idea on you budget and the advice will be plentiful.

Greg

Hi Dan, welcome to the SGL :D

I'm also from Swindon (peering through the light pollution :lol: ) With it being the International Year of Astronomy in 2009, I know some Swindon Astronomers are looking to start regular observing nights - so watch this space!!

In the meantime if you are looking for telescope advice, you should get along to the Wiltshire Astro Society (like NickH mentioned above). I've been along before and found the guy's very friendly and very helpful :)

All the best,

Andy...

Swindon to where we observe in the very dark location of Lacock (and also we found another sight near to Cherhill Downs which is even darker and in the words of one of our team "darker than most of the pro sites in Portugal")...is only a 30 minute drive (come down through Marlborough, and we are about 20 mins on from there)..

The other good thing about our society, is we have an active loan culture. People are always loaning others gear (I have some wicked Pentax EP's on loan at the mo, and one of our members has some of my EP's for test with a PST), and we also get some superb guest speakers (last month Sarah Robert's from Faulkes Telescope was truly brilliant!)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived