NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone seen Venus yet????

Jarvo

I saw it at the tail end of last week. The sun had already gone down, the horizon was dusty red, and there was Venus about 5-8 degrees above the horizon. I only saw it that low because I was looking out our top floor window (town house, taller than most others around here)

Nope, I have a slight hill rising to the West so I doubt if I'll see it for a while yet. But has anyone seen Mercury - s'posed to be the greatest Western elongation today - again I've got houses obscuring the view to the East?

Cheers, Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was driving along a road with a clear view of the western horizon, the sun had just set in the previuos 20 mins or so and there she was shining away brilliantly about 5 degrees up.

Was the very first time I had seen it and I was very impressed. Shame I didnt have the binos and tripod with me though :)

But still, that just leaves me with Neptune and Mercury to spot and the list will be complete :)

Got it this evening just after sunset. Very low, but very bright against a dusty orange sky. I grabbed the 'scope for a closer look, and thought I'd discovered a Venusian moon.... Yeah, OK, I'm new to this. Checking Stellarium, the 'moon' turned out to be Theta Oph! I thought it pretty cool to see Venus, Jupiter and our *real* moon all in line.

I saw venus trough my mak 90 and wath a sight!!!simply beutiful.my mom sayd it loks like the moon.Seeing jupiter trough my mak 90 with a skywatcher 9mm uw ler is amazing,very fine detail and the telescope is allways ready to use,no need cooldown.The 127 is another story,one hour at least to cooldown,Thats because i love the mak 90,a truly grab and go!

clear skyes for you all.

Havent seen it yet, And cant wait too. Its always a inspiring sight.

I really want to try and image it again in the new year.

Not sure how high its going to be compared to when i took this last year. but its a very neglected world from a imaging standpoint. some thing i hope to change in the coming months and years

Neil CLICK for full size hope im not breaking rules showing venus here ?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/meademan_2006/Copyofbestaviok80.png

Havent seen it yet, And cant wait too. Its always a inspiring sight.

I really want to try and image it again in the new year.

Not sure how high its going to be compared to when i took this last year. but its a very neglected world from a imaging standpoint. some thing i hope to change in the coming months and years

Neil CLICK for full size hope im not breaking rules showing venus here ?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/meademan_2006/Copyofbestaviok80.png

Nice image !!!

Tony it was one of those occassions when the seeing was calm in the morning, and i used a 5x barlow with my 10" Orion in uv, a 5 x barlow on a vixen GP with a wooden tripod at f6.3 10" newt is a laugh in itself, go near the scope at that power, it will often move the planet on screen. So i was pleased to get that one, there was even a little wind if i remember correctly.

Not enough to destroy the clarity though. If only every imaging session went so well, i would be happy. Hoping my new 12 " f6 1/12th pv OO spx will be up and running when she returns higher, catch another morning like this, with that setup, And a DMK instead of a spc mono. And things could start to get interesting

• 2 weeks later...

Caught sight of Venus and Jupiter yesterday evening. Just getting off the train and spotted them low on the horizon. Framed by some buildings it made for a wonderful view. I doubt any of the other commuters noticed?

I saw Venus this evening (25/11) and had a quick look though my Vixen ED102SS. Due to atmospherics the image was not at all steady but I could make out a gibbous disk.

Nice to see "hell planet" again !.

John

Archived