Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M54 female to M60 male ring adapter?

Hello!

Any idea where I can find an M54 female to M60 male ring adapter? I need to order it online since there arent any astroshops where I live so I'd really appreciate if someone can link me to such an adapter.

Basically I have a TS Optics 2" Adapter with compression Ring for Skywatcher Newtonians, TSM54-2 and I need to use it for my celestron newtonian which has a 60mm drawtube so I'll need some sort of adapter.

Clear skies!

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

First, make sure both are 0.75mm threads before proclaiming M??.  Many astro and adapter threads are actually 1mm thread pitch.

I actually don't know what that means. I've just started with this so how can I check if it's 0.75 or 1 mm? You mean I'll have to measure the distance between the threads or what?

11 hours ago, Louis D said:

First, make sure both are 0.75mm threads before proclaiming M??.  Many astro and adapter threads are actually 1mm thread pitch.

could be M60 x 0,75 or M60 x 1,0 or M60 x 1,25 ... but they are all M sizes. Not just M60 x 0,75 is metric. 

2 hours ago, Waldemar said:

could be M60 x 0,75 or M60 x 1,0 or M60 x 1,25 ... but they are all M sizes. Not just M60 x 0,75 is metric. 

Certainly, but in normal parlance, M?? usually refers to 0.75mm threads, especially as relates to photographic step rings for filters.  It really gets to be an issue with M42 which could mean 42mm by 0.75mm threads for step rings for filters vs the threaded lens mount size of 42mm by 1mm threads.

I'm thinking the OP may have more luck trying to locate an OEM 2" adapter for that Celestron drawtube.  In the US, I'd contact some of the older second hand astro dealers like Bill Vorce of Telescope Warehouse.  I don't know who would be an equivalent in the UK, though.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:16, Anthony RS said:

Hello!

Any idea where I can find an M54 female to M60 male ring adapter? I need to order it online since there arent any astroshops where I live so I'd really appreciate if someone can link me to such an adapter.

Basically I have a TS Optics 2" Adapter with compression Ring for Skywatcher Newtonians, TSM54-2 and I need to use it for my celestron newtonian which has a 60mm drawtube so I'll need some sort of adapter.

Clear skies!

Are you talking about a Step-Down Ring from M60-M54  ?? If so BHPhoto carries one :  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160365-REG/Heliopan_700446_700446_Step_Down_Ring.html

1 hour ago, celestron8g8 said:

Are you talking about a Step-Down Ring from M60-M54  ?? If so BHPhoto carries one :  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160365-REG/Heliopan_700446_700446_Step_Down_Ring.html

Wow! For that money, he might as well buy a new 2" adapter purpose built for his scope.  Step down rings are usually between $2 and $6.

41 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Wow! For that money, he might as well buy a new 2" adapter purpose built for his scope.  Step down rings are usually between $2 and $6.

I understand your feeling but I wish him good luck . I needed a M43-M42 step down back a yr ago and the only place I could find one was on ebay and it came from China and it cost me $27.00 with s/h and took 10 days to get here . 

1 hour ago, celestron8g8 said:

I understand your feeling but I wish him good luck . I needed a M43-M42 step down back a yr ago and the only place I could find one was on ebay and it came from China and it cost me $27.00 with s/h and took 10 days to get here . 

Wow again!  Must have been a bad time to shop for one a year ago.  Currently, there's this one for $4.99, and this one for $7.99, both with free shipping from China.  I average 2 weeks for shipping from China to Texas.

16 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Wow again!  Must have been a bad time to shop for one a year ago.  Currently, there's this one for $4.99, and this one for $7.99, both with free shipping from China.  I average 2 weeks for shipping from China to Texas.

Mine looked like that one for $4.99 but height was a little shorter . Yeah a yr ago the one i got was all that was available that i could find . 

Thank you all for your help. I decided to buy the below in the end and just get rid of the whole compression ring issue. I'll try the threaded adapter which I think is the best way to fix any tilting issues. It did cost a lot with the shipping and I still have to wait like 5 more days for it to be delivered but I guess it's worth it in the end.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5818_TS-Optics-Adaptor-M60-to-M48---2--Filterthread---low-profile-adapter-for-photography.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2839_TS-Optics-Adaptor-with-female-T2-thread-and-male-M48--2--filter--thread---short.html

According to TS I can use these adapters to thread the Coma Corrector inside the drawtube while the DSLR is threaded outside as normal. This will hopefully fix any tilt issues and since the CC is inside the drawtube, it should remove also any sag due to the weight of both the DSLR and CC being outside the tube. I think this is ingenious but I hope I don't run into any problems with the threads.

I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested, and I guess I'll find someone interested in the M54 Skywatcher adapter and sell it.

Clear Skies!

Archived