Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1/2 Price Visual Setup!

JohnSadlerAstro

Hi,

I opened my "new" Astro Tech Voyager mount this morning, it's my first ever Alt-Az mount so it was quite exciting! I bought it 2nd hand off @AdeKing for visual observing while the main EQ5-130PDS setup is running for AP. I've paired the mount with the AR90s @Mr niall sold me, so the entire setup cost almost exactly half what it would have done new.

IMG_2679.thumb.JPG.ac410b92f05d470bc96057c43fce97e4.JPG

Also had a rather interesting cake made by a couple of sisters, I felt I had to share this one it's so good. It also included the customary  grab-n-go meme, although pasta might go a bit soft with the dew, it seemed quite a good setup really. The EQ 0.1 mounts were very sturdy, although their axes seemed to have seized by using icing rather than SW gunge.

The apostrophe debate will have to wait for another time..... :D 

IMG-20180727-WA0000.thumb.jpg.b66560f221c74287248ee4db196bf6e8.jpg

John

I agree with Stu, it looks a great setup.  I used to have this mount years ago, and have fond memories of it.  Alas I'm not totally sure how it fit's in with all the other altaz mounts I now own or have owned in the past.  I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with it.  My memory tells me it was noticeably better than the AZ5 which I have, I got the head only cheap but really this is only suitable for short stubby scopes in my view.  I was hoping that the AZ5 would have the stability of the AZ4 with slow motions, but alas it hasn't.

Thank you for the kind comments folks, I'm very excited to find out how the mount will perform, I'll post with more details once I get clear skies!

The tripod looks like the EQ1/2/3 one, but it's actually way sturdier, and the extension locking screws actually feel like they aren't boring through the legs when tightened. A very handy feature are the "stamp points" on each foot that let you drive the feet into the ground. Both axes are very smooth, and it's easy to balance, as well. The tripod is probably the weakest link, but when pushed firmly into the ground I don't imagine it will cause any issues. 

Overall, the mount's vibration damping is quite similar to my EQ5s. (Although as the EQ5 has rubber feet and the AT doesn't, the comparison is a bit invalid on concrete.)

John

10 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

I opened my "new" Astro Tech Voyager mount this morning, it's my first ever Alt-Az mount so it was quite exciting! I bought it 2nd hand off @AdeKing for visual observing while the main EQ5-130PDS setup is running for AP. I've paired the mount with the AR90s @Mr niall sold me, so the entire setup cost almost exactly half what it would have done new.

IMG_2679.thumb.JPG.ac410b92f05d470bc96057c43fce97e4.JPG

Also had a rather interesting cake made by a couple of sisters, I felt I had to share this one it's so good. It also included the customary  grab-n-go meme, although pasta might go a bit soft with the dew, it seemed quite a good setup really. The EQ 0.1 mounts were very sturdy, although their axes seemed to have seized by using icing rather than SW gunge.

The apostrophe debate will have to wait for another time..... :D 

IMG-20180727-WA0000.thumb.jpg.b66560f221c74287248ee4db196bf6e8.jpg

John

Technically, i think its called Stargazy Pie.

Nice scope. 

John,

I'm glad that the mount turned up safely and that you're pleased with it.  I really enjoyed using this mount, but it was getting little use since I moved to a WO EZ Touch and got two longer refractors.

I'm glad that its gone to someone who is going to use it more often than I did.

The AR90s looks well suited to the Voyager, I hope that you get a great deal of enjoyment out of it.

Regards,

Ade 

Archived