SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Space restricted obsy roof ideas

evil_yoda

Hi all,

I'm in the planning stages for a small observatory in my garden to house a HEQ5, ED80(maybe something bigger one day) and all the associated imaging bits and pieces.
Hopefully something around 7X5 or 8X6 ish.

It's a small garden, and the logical place to put an observatory/shed would be in a corner.
I know roll-off is the most popular design for a roof, but I'd be more popular with the better half if I could make everything as compact as possible.

Has anyone had much success with folding roofs, or are there generally too many ways for it to leak? Are they too heavy to open and close?

Other than a dome(too expensive) or roll-off, there must be a good, space efficient way of designing the roof.

Matt

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a number of very small observatories, where the "shed" is literally big enough to over the mount/scope. So maybe 3' x 3'. 

The whole shed is on wheels and bolted to the floor - when you want to observe you open the door and roll the whole thing back away.

More compact, and it takes the spiders with it when rolled back  YAY! 

Ant

There is some excellent ideas and pics in this old book. Written long before the fibre dome people started to make their fortunes. Libraries are full of old books it should be reasonably easy to obtain a copy. Best of luck with your project........Dave

Vintage.JPG

Thanks all for the great suggestions, I'll have a good read through all those later.

I definitely prefer the idea of permanent walls with a movable roof, rather than the whole thing rolling off the scope position.
It'll mostly be used for imaging, so there will be lots of cables etc.

Matt

9 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

If you are imaging, stray light is an important factor. You will have thought of this already though....Dave

Unfortunately, I don't have a proper 'dark sky site' as I'm near the edge of a small town with street lights near, but I'm hoping to keep stray light (and wind) to a minimum by keeping the scope down as low as possible.

I think keeping things as low as possible is a good idea. It was these very problems (stray light and wind) which eventually persuaded me to fork out for a 2.2  M  observatory, plus the convenience of a permanent set up.

Extremely expensive. but like tooth ache you get over it...Dave

Years ago someone posted photos of a build here where they'd built a roof that rotated off to one side like a sort of industrial wheelie bin.  The roof was supported on two counterweighted arms, one at each end of the shed.  It used very little space over its own footprint when opening.

James

Has anyone had any luck with a 50/50 roll off on a small shed? So half the roof rolls over the fixed half.
I could fit in an 8x6 ft shed, and if I did the 50/50 roll off it would only leave me with a 4X6 ish opening

Too small an opening do you think?
I have an ED80  with a 50mm guide scope at the moment, but how limiting would I find an opening of that size if I wanted to upgrade to a bigger scope?

Depends on your horizons and light pollution situation, if you can only image over 40 degrees then it may be OK.

I've got 6 foot by 6 foot opening which works OK except for planets ATM.

Dave

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Depends on your horizons and light pollution situation, if you can only image over 40 degrees then it may be OK.

I've got 6 foot by 6 foot opening which works OK except for planets ATM.

Dave

Yes, I have pretty poor horizons anyway, so might be the way to go.

8 minutes ago, evil_yoda said:

Yes, I have pretty poor horizons anyway, so might be the way to go.

I made a telescopic pier for the few times I need to image a lower target, it's also useful for visual raising the eyepiece to more comfortable level.

Dave

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I made a telescopic pier for the few times I need to image a lower target, it's also useful for visual raising the eyepiece to more comfortable level.

Dave

That's a good idea. How did you make it?
How stable is it for imaging?

Matt

6 minutes ago, evil_yoda said:

That's a good idea. How did you make it?
How stable is it for imaging?

Matt

I've got a video on One Drive, if you PM me your email I can send you a link if I can remember how.

It's well over engineered so pretty solid.

Dave

12 hours ago, evil_yoda said:

Has anyone had any luck with a 50/50 roll off on a small shed? So half the roof rolls over the fixed half.
I could fit in an 8x6 ft shed, and if I did the 50/50 roll off it would only leave me with a 4X6 ish opening

Too small an opening do you think?
I have an ED80  with a 50mm guide scope at the moment, but how limiting would I find an opening of that size if I wanted to upgrade to a bigger scope?

This is my default design. Only in one case do I have the roof roll over the warm room but the 'rolling roof and sides' is a great idea and the flap on the end opposite the roll  off can easily be made to operate automatically. Here's a small one housing a remote setup I host:

Closed

flap%20closed-M.jpg

Opening

flap%20half%20open-M.jpg

Open

flap%20wide%20open-M.jpg

Here's a bigger  one on which the roof rolls over a good sized warm room (with bed!)

yves%20north-M.jpg

yves%20west-M.jpg

We can image to the horizon here if we have to so low fixed sides are essential.

Olly

I know you said you don't think a roll-off would work in an  8 by 6 space but it certainly will if you just want to image with an ED80 and not do visual. Here is my build which fits in a 4 by 8 space with the roof rolling entirely clear of the walls.

https://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/series/a-small-imaging-observatory/

Complete plans available in the second post in the series.

It is a tight squeeze when setting up or adjusting stuff but ideal for imaging. The mount needs a custom park position to get the scope below the roof for closing, but not an issue for me as the roof is manual. More of a risk for remote opening/closing if you were planning that.

Archived