Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rotating Roof Obsy Pics

Davei

Pics should be attached now! These should show:

The completed observatory with roof closed, with roof rotated off and with the south flap open for maximum sky access.

post-16111-133877456633_thumb.jpg

post-16111-133877456611_thumb.jpg

post-16111-133877456616_thumb.jpg

Also the observatory structure part assembled and the Pier with HEQ5, scopes, PSU's and interface cables as it is today.

post-16111-133877456621_thumb.jpg

post-16111-133877456627_thumb.jpg

dave

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul if you look in the last picture there is an orange arm with a silver pivot point attached to the end of the shed, that is how it must work with a counter weight to the left out of shot.

Paul if you look in the last picture there is an orange arm with a silver pivot point attached to the end of the shed, that is how it must work with a counter weight to the left out of shot. Oh and you can see the winch in that shot too.

What an exellent design! I've never seen an observatory roof like that before! I suppose the next step would be to split the roof down the middle and let each half counterbalance the other?? Not a criticism - just thinking out loud.

Kris, Ron & all,

Thanks for the comments. I will post some pics of the pivot arrangement shortly. Re: the patent, several others have suggested patenting it and it does seem to be unique, but I would rather help those that want go also go Rotating Roof approach than go through the hassle & expense of a patent.

cheers

dave

Kris, Ron & all,

Thanks for the comments. I will post some pics of the pivot arrangement shortly. Re: the patent, several others have suggested patenting it and it does seem to be unique, but I would rather help those that want go also go Rotating Roof approach than go through the hassle & expense of a patent.

cheers

dave

I forgot to say what a marvellous idea looks great and ideally camouflaged as a shed :)

The Rotating roof is bolted to 2 Pivot arms made from 1 inch ply.

post-16111-133877456772_thumb.jpg

Halfway down they each have a stainless steel bearing compring a 2 inch stub welded to a long back plate bolted to the north and south walls.

post-16111-133877456785_thumb.jpg

The lower end of the pivot arms have the cast iron counterweights.

post-16111-13387745678_thumb.jpg

As the roof rotates it slides through two slots in the west wall.

post-16111-133877456794_thumb.jpg

The arm bearings were designed to provide a 4mm gap between the pivot arms and the walls so the building needs to be rigid and with accurately parallel north & south walls. A nice engineering challenge but it all works!

The winch in the earlier pic is there for my wife to operate the roof, since I've just had major surgery!

Does this anwers the questions?

dave

post-16111-13387745679_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the comments. The roof/pivot arm assembly has fairly high inertia plus a degree of in-built friction because I did not want it running out of control once it starts to rotate. So it needs an amount of arm power to get it moving and then to stop it. Hence the winch for my wife to use and rubber buffer pads on the concrete base to stop the roof as it reaches 90 deg. Yes there are 2 sets of counterweights, one on each arm. I have fitted removeable safety pins in each Pivot arm so that when the roof is in place it's locked against hurricanes, small kids etc.

:)

dave

This really is an excellent design. Though it does remind me of a big rubbish bins we use in Germany somehow... ;-)

volle%20M%C3%BClltonne.jpg

Anyway, this made me wonder if it would also be possible to use some kind of mechanism similar to the up-and-over garage doors to open an obs roof?

Archived