NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BAADER CONTRAST BOOSTER - The best all round planetary filter?

paulastro

@paulastro given what you say, it may well be worth a go then. I do find it useful when observing in twilight as it does knock the sky brightness back without much, if any, colour shift.

If you can pick on up second hand then you wouldn't lose much if you decide to move it on.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of filters for planetary observing personally. I have tried quite a few  but they did not seem to add anything to my planetary observing. This includes the rather expensive Tele Vue Bandmate Planetary filter which I owned for a while. I notice that Tele Vue discontinued that one a while back.

I have read that a #8 light yellow filter works on Jupiter and Saturn for some. Given that the Baader Contrast Booster filter seems to generate a yellow tint I wonder if the somewhat less expensive #8 light yellow filter would be worth trying instead ?

I'm happy "filterless" on the planets though :smiley:

• Like 1

Several years ago I owned a nice 4" Astro Tech ED frac which eventually was also owned by @paulastro. I also owned a filter slide which held 5 - 1.25" filters. I did a review with a Neodymium filter, various coloured filters and no filter at all. I was able to quickly move the filter slide to obtain an almost instant comparison. I found the Neodymium gave the best view ( I think it was Jupiter) followed by no filter at all.

I have no knowledge of the Contrast booster filter but I felt this report is quite interesting. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reviews/baader-contrast-filters_US-ATT_review_0414.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Several years ago I owned a nice 4" Astro Tech ED frac which eventually was also owned by @paulastro. I also owned a filter slide which held 5 - 1.25" filters. I did a review with a Neodymium filter, various coloured filters and no filter at all. I was able to quickly move the filter slide to obtain an almost instant comparison. I found the Neodymium gave the best view ( I think it was Jupiter) followed by no filter at all.

I have no knowledge of the Contrast booster filter but I felt this report is quite interesting. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reviews/baader-contrast-filters_US-ATT_review_0414.pdf

Many thanks Mark.  Good to hear from you again.  I have done an extensive comparison with a full set of colour filters on the planets many years ago, and have revisited since on a few occasions to see if I still felt the same - I did.  Overall I came to the conclusion that I  could not ever really see anything with a colour filter I couldn't see anyway without them.  Colour filters do enhance some features of the planets, but often also obscure other features, and I always much preferred the unfiltered 'natural' colour.  So in this respect I agree with yourself and John.  When I first tried the Baader Contrast Booster in my binoviewer it was the first time ever I could actually see features I couldn't see or see features better (particularly Jupiter but also Mars) which is why I posted this topic originally.    Like your experience with the Neodymium, up to the present I found the CB filter to be best, and after that no filter at all.  In fact you saying this has reinforced a point of view I've just about come round to - that is I will have to get hold of a Neodymium filter well before the upcoming oppositions of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars this year.  The cost of the filter, even if I have to end up buying one new, will be worth it for the piece of mind it will give me 😄.

• Like 3

I have a neodymium which doesn't get any use. I don't really like filters for planets, the natural view always seems better to me. It was good at cutting out orange streetlights, but, we don't have those anymore.

• Like 1

I did a fair bit of research of filters for plantary viewing and read lots of reviews.

I think it was after reading our fountain of knowledge @Stu's positive reviews that I plumped for the Baader Neodymium filter last year. The difference it made on Jupiter was very subtle to be honest, a marginal intensification of the equatorial and tropical bands, but it imparted no noticable false colour at all which pleased me.

As a result, what I do now is leave it permanently on my Baader 8-24mm zoom  and use it just as you would use a UV filter permanently on a camera lens as much for protection as much as improved viewing  It seems to impart no colour cast on any subjects, be they planetary or deep space.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I did a fair bit of research of filters for plantary viewing and read lots of reviews.

I think it was after reading our fountain of knowledge @Stu's positive reviews that I plumped for the Baader Neodymium filter last year. The difference it made on Jupiter was very subtle to be honest, a marginal intensification of the equatorial and tropical bands, but it imparted no noticable false colour at all which pleased me.

As a result, what I do now is leave it permanently on my Baader 8-24mm zoom  and use it just as you would use a UV filter permanently on a camera lens as much for protection as much as improved viewing  It seems to impart no colour cast on any subjects, be they planetary or deep space.

Oh gosh, such responsibility Geoff!! 😉

I hope I didn't over state its benefits too much?

As said, I've found it to be useful in Jupiter and especially Mars, not sure if you've tried it on Mars? Much the same  as you too, I use it as a general LP and glare filter.

Strangely I don't like it much on Saturn, I don't know why.

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

not sure if you've tried it on Mars?

No, I didn't have it at last year's opposition unfortunately. Will definitely give it a whirl when Mars is in a better position later this year, and will use it on my 4mm SW Planetary for as much mag as I can get. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So should I buy a contrast booster or not? 🤔 They're quite pricey. I have a neo and i guess it makes a subtle difference but i’m finding with my 8” that the features seem to be getting harder to tease out from the bright disk now it’s (mars) nearer opposition- could just be seeing which has deteriorated lately or is it getting brighter and more washed out? It’s frustrating as it should be getting better! I have had odd nights of very good hints at crisp detail but I’d like to see more! @paulastro are you still finding it useful this time round? It seems to be advertised as a “fringe killer” for achros but presumably the contrast boosting benefits should help with any image inc newts?

Mark

42 minutes ago, johnturley said:

I don't like the yellow cast the Contrast Booster imparts on planets, and much prefer the Neodymium filter which gives planets a much more neutral looking appearance,

John 

but less contrast? I’ve got a “mars type b” filter which makes the planet really red- it does increase the contrast of dark features but dims the image a lot and the redness is pretty intense!  I’m only really thinking mars here as the giants show plenty of detail on a good night

19 minutes ago, markse68 said:

but less contrast? I’ve got a “mars type b” filter which makes the planet really red- it does increase the contrast of dark features but dims the image a lot and the redness is pretty intense!  I’m only really thinking mars here as the giants show plenty of detail on a good night

In my opinion (I own both) I wouldn't say that the Contrast Booster Filter gives any noticeable increase in contrast over the Neodymium, and I don't like the view through a deep red filter either. A light yellow or orange filter does enhance the dark features slightly, without making the overall view look totally unnatural, its all very much a personal opinion though, and some observers prefer no filter. I think the larger the aperture, the more advantage you get from using a filter, and that there is little gain with small apertures (100mm or less). 

John 

• Like 1

I did think about getting a filter or filters for Mars and the planets this year but decided not to in the end.

I have used quite a few types in the past and didn't find that they added anything to the observing experience for me.

When ever possible I prefer to observe without using a filter and make the best of that.

Oddly enough I have just picked the moon and skyglow filter up 2nd hand from a SGL member. I have been keeping an eye open for one to come along on the used market.

My intention is to sell my moon filter and VP filter and solely uses the moon and sky glow. As others have mentioned I would probably prefer to go filterless on the planets for the most natural views. However the orange sky glow around these parts is really bugging me! So far I have only had chance to hold the filter up to the sky and look through it with the naked eye. Straight away I have noticed it eliminates the yellow sky glow which is a big positive, I hope it doesn't add any form of tinting to the planets, that will be the big test.

DSC_0988.JPG

I'm new to all of this so can't give you much wisdom from personal experience - but I have read a fair bit on this over recent weeks and can share what I've concluded from the experience of others.

Most planetary visual filters only work effectively with exit pupils 2mm or larger. 
Typical / good conditions support planetary magnification of around 250-300x.
So if you have a scope and an eyepiece than can give 300x and 2.5mm exit pupil then filters might add something noticeable.
But, if you're more typical, you'll likely have an exit pupil much smaller than this when viewing the planets and the range of filters that make a worthwhile difference is reduced; and the effect of those filters is less obvious.
It then becomes a personal things as to whether these more marginal impacts are worth it for you.

Or, in less words, you'll have to try it yourself to know if you it works for you. 😃

I've ordered a few filters myself to give them a try.  I'm not expecting "wow" but I'm hoping to tease out some detail that is eluding me.  I suspect I just need to train myself to be more observant / patient - but I can't resist trying them anyway.

Edited by globular
  • Like 2

This review is very relevant:

One paragraph in it stood out for me:

".........So my recommendation is that before you venture into the realm of filters to
improve your planetary views, first make sure that you are getting detailed views of planets
without filters, as the filters will not perform any magic making a poor view all of a sudden good
with many details......."

I don't think any of these filters are "magic bullets"

1 hour ago, John said:

This review is very relevant:

One paragraph in it stood out for me:

".........So my recommendation is that before you venture into the realm of filters to
improve your planetary views, first make sure that you are getting detailed views of planets
without filters, as the filters will not perform any magic making a poor view all of a sudden good
with many details......."

I don't think any of these filters are "magic bullets"

Nail on head John- i’ve been a bit frustrated the past few sessions just not getting the same level of detail I have had like last Sunday- detail where a filter wasn’t really necessary! Last night Mars was literally popping in and out of focus! When sharp there were tantalising glimpses of detail but they were very fleeting. Of coarse no filter in the world is going to stabilise our atmosphere- doh 🙄 So easy to fall into the trap of looking for magic bullets

Would still like to see a bit more when it is sharp though... 😂

14 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Nail on head John- i’ve been a bit frustrated the past few sessions just not getting the same level of detail I have had like last Sunday- detail where a filter wasn’t really necessary! Last night Mars was literally popping in and out of focus! When sharp there were tantalising glimpses of detail but they were very fleeting. Of coarse no filter in the world is going to stabilise our atmosphere- doh 🙄 So easy to fall into the trap of looking for magic bullets

Sounds like you need an ADC 🤔🤨😂

I have a Contrast Booster which I’ve gotten into the habit of using on Mars. I quite like it. I should do a comparison with the Neodymium really. It’s just another tool in the box though. I think they can help with certain features but once you’ve got a bit of experience then you see it all anyway. The seeing, as you’ve described, is the key factor without going into collimation, cooling etc. 

28 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Sounds like you need an ADC 🤔🤨😂

I’m using one 🤪

What I really need is a laser beam to energise the sodium layer in the mesosphere to create an artificial star and adaptive optics in a closed loop with the image of that “star” but a Baader filter will probably work out cheaper 😉 Won’t work though 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, globular said:

So if you have a scope and an eyepiece than can give 300x and 2.5mm exit pupil then filters might add something noticeable.

Only problem there is that have a 2.5mm exit pupil at 250x magnification requires a 750mm aperture telescope (about 30"diameter)!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markse68 said:

FWIW, at the last two locations I have lived at, the behavior was/is quite the same and that between 2-4am the seeing seems to really settle down.  That was the time I used for most of my Mars observations for the article as the planet was rock steady with details abounding.

• Like 2

Well, it's over two years since I started this thread, and I've still not taken the plunge on a Neodymium to compare with my Baader Contrast Booster !!   (Which I'm still using on Mars for the current apparition)  

Thanks to those who have revived the thread.  I'm ordering a Neodymium filter tomorrow, otherwise I might go to my grave still not knowing how the two filters work for me 😁.

I will let you know how I get on when I've had some time to put it through its paces🙂.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, BillP said:

Only problem there is that have a 2.5mm exit pupil at 250x magnification requires a 750mm aperture telescope (about 30"diameter)!!!!

That was the point I was making. I should perhaps have spelled it out more clearly.

Edited by globular