Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BAADER CONTRAST BOOSTER - The best all round planetary filter?

paulastro

The bulk of this report in was posted by me in response to a post on Mars and I have re-posted it here in an edited form as I thought it may have some appeal to planetary observers who have not seen the original.  There is a lot of other information on line and I'm apparently not the only one who is VERY impressed with how good this filter is for planets.  It's by far the best filter I've ever used for planetary use, and I'd urge anyone who can get hold of one to try it out.  As you will read - I've never previously been impressed by the use of colour filters for the planets.  For me the Baader Contrast Booster is now an essential item of my planetary observing kit.

I've had a set of colour filters for donkeys year and occasionally get them out, often at a Mars opposition, but the result is always the same to me.  They never seem to show me anything I can't see without them.  They make some features on Mars more obvious, but at a cost of and unacceptable colour cast (to my eyes) and a darkening of the image according to which filter it is of course.  I hadn't tried them this year as the result is always the same for me. 

However, I thought I'd read up on which if any of the colour filters themselves might show some details of the dust clouds, at least it would be something to look at.  I found nothing convincing enough to encourage me to dust off my colour filters again.  I then looked in a draw of oddments to see what filters, other than colour filters, I had I might try.  I found a Baader Contrast Booster which I'd forgotten about, never used it - it came with a scope I bought eons ago.  I googled it and found it had rather a good reputation for being useful for planetary images and in particular some people seemed to think it was the bees-knees filter for Mars.

Anyway I tried it a few mornings ago, and was quite taken with how it improved the sky contrast, quite considerably without dimming the image to any great extent at all.  Also, I did glimpse indications of some albedo marking on Mars more frequent and certain than I have ever done without it.  Also tried it on Saturn, a good image with the contrast particularly noticeable on the difference to the sky detail and the background stars/satellites I could see.  The great thing for me is that it does not give a horrible colour wash to the images as colour filters do.  I think it has a slight biased towards yellow, but I only really noticed it on the Moon, and it was nowhere as bad as using a yellow filter.  The following evening the GRS transited the CM on Jupiter and wow, what a difference.  The GRS itself was immediately easily discernible and clearly pink even in poor seeing periods and the belts and other detail were clearly well enhanced.  Easily the best view of Jupiter I've has this apparition.   If I'd know it was as good as this I'd have used it years ago. 

Anyway, I really just wanted to say to anyone that happens to have a Baader Contrast booster in their arsenal, to try it on Mars and other planets if you haven't already.  To me at least, it was quite a revelation.  If I'd tried one belonging to anyone else I'd have been straight on to FLO to buy one the next day.  If you know someone who has one locally, pop round and try it and see what you think for yourself.  I suspect when the dust clouds clear it will really show its usefulness even more.  Worh having for Jupiter alone in my view.

If anyone is wondering, I was using the filter with my ES David Levy Comet Hunter, a 152mm f4.8 Mak-Newt, binoviewer and two Baader MK111 zooms.  This scope performs very well on the planets without the filter when the seeing plays ball.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/achromat-semi-apo-filters/baader-contrast-booster-filter.html

• Like 6

The Baader Contrast Booster filter is OK but find the Baader Moon & Skyglow is an even better planetary filter particularily on Jupiter. Have you tried the Moon & Skyglow for planetary?

Had both filters but ended up selling the Contrast Booster.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, paulastro said:

The bulk of this report in was posted by me in response to a post on Mars and I have re-posted it here in an edited form as I thought it may have some appeal to planetary observers who have not seen the original.  There is a lot of other information on line and I'm apparently not the only one who is VERY impressed with how good this filter is for planets.  It's by far the best filter I've ever used for planetary use, and I'd urge anyone who can get hold of one to try it out.  As you will read - I've never previously been impressed by the use of colour filters for the planets.  For me the Baader Contrast Booster is now an essential item of my planetary observing kit.

I've had a set of colour filters for donkeys year and occasionally get them out, often at a Mars opposition, but the result is always the same to me.  They never seem to show me anything I can't see without them.  They make some features on Mars more obvious, but at a cost of and unacceptable colour cast (to my eyes) and a darkening of the image according to which filter it is of course.  I hadn't tried them this year as the result is always the same for me. 

However, I thought I'd read up on which if any of the colour filters themselves might show some details of the dust clouds, at least it would be something to look at.  I found nothing convincing enough to encourage me to dust off my colour filters again.  I then looked in a draw of oddments to see what filters, other than colour filters, I had I might try.  I found a Baader Contrast Booster which I'd forgotten about, never used it - it came with a scope I bought eons ago.  I googled it and found it had rather a good reputation for being useful for planetary images and in particular some people seemed to think it was the bees-knees filter for Mars.

Anyway I tried it a few mornings ago, and was quite taken with how it improved the sky contrast, quite considerably without dimming the image to any great extent at all.  Also, I did glimpse indications of some albedo marking on Mars more frequent and certain than I have ever done without it.  Also tried it on Saturn, a good image with the contrast particularly noticeable on the difference to the sky detail and the background stars/satellites I could see.  The great thing for me is that it does not give a horrible colour wash to the images as colour filters do.  I think it has a slight biased towards yellow, but I only really noticed it on the Moon, and it was nowhere as bad as using a yellow filter.  The following evening the GRS transited the CM on Jupiter and wow, what a difference.  The GRS itself was immediately easily discernible and clearly pink even in poor seeing periods and the belts and other detail were clearly well enhanced.  Easily the best view of Jupiter I've has this apparition.   If I'd know it was as good as this I'd have used it years ago. 

Anyway, I really just wanted to say to anyone that happens to have a Baader Contrast booster in their arsenal, to try it on Mars and other planets if you haven't already.  To me at least, it was quite a revelation.  If I'd tried one belonging to anyone else I'd have been straight on to FLO to buy one the next day.  If you know someone who has one locally, pop round and try it and see what you think for yourself.  I suspect when the dust clouds clear it will really show its usefulness even more.  Worh having for Jupiter alone in my view.

If anyone is wondering, I was using the filter with my ES David Levy Comet Hunter, a 152mm f4.8 Mak-Newt, binoviewer and two Baader MK111 zooms.  This scope performs very well on the planets without the filter when the seeing plays ball.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/achromat-semi-apo-filters/baader-contrast-booster-filter.html

21 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Baader Contrast Booster filter is OK but find the Baader Moon & Skyglow is an even better planetary filter particularily on Jupiter. Have you tried the Moon & Skyglow for planetary?

I agree that both the Contrast booster and the neodymium (AKA Moon and Skyglow) filters are amazing... the thing that really surprised me is how amazing the views I have had when they were stacked.. Jupiter and Saturn are so full of detail on a good seeing night, it has to be seen to be believed.... 

Now there is a sort of a catch.. the order in which the filters are stacked DOES MAKE A HUGE difference... I found that when the Contrast booster is directly on the eyepiece and the neodymium filter is added to the contrast booster is when it works best, the other way around is almost no better than not using the filters at all only dimmer.... 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Thanks John.  I've never had or used a Baader Moon and Skyglow filter.    If it's better than the Contrast Booster then it must be amazing.   In what way was it better than the Contast Booster on Jupiter/

26 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I agree that both the Contrast booster and the neodymium (AKA Moon and Skyglow) filters are amazing... the thing that really surprised me is how amazing the views I have had when they were stacked.. Jupiter and Saturn are so full of detail on a good seeing night, it has to be seen to be believed.... 

Now there is a sort of a catch.. the order in which the filters are stacked DOES MAKE A HUGE difference... I found that when the Contrast booster is directly on the eyepiece and the neodymium filter is added to the contrast booster is when it works best, the other way around is almost no better than not using the filters at all only dimmer.... 

Many thanks for that, even more food for thought.  What is the actual name of the filter we are talking about,  is it the Baader Moon and Skyglow or Baader Neodymium? 

Yes that’s the one. Same filter just dropped the Moon & Skyglow bit from the name on the filter recently. The original,Moon & Skyglow didn’t have the IR cut but then it became the Moon & Skyglow & IR Cut.

Find it gives a natural colour as well.

F6C52A28-34A9-4B87-9D7A-7AE3573C1D71.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Many thanks for that, even more food for thought.  What is the actual name of the filter we are talking about,  is it the Baader Moon and Skyglow or Baader Neodymium? 

The one I have is called Baader Moon & Skyglow filter, but I its the same as the Nedymium filter from what I understand...

I have this one:

https://www.ozscopes.com.au/baader-planetarium-moon-and-skyglow-filter.html

• Like 1

I agree with Paul and regularly use the contrast booster filter on the planets. I find that it doesn’t always improve things depending on conditions but it’s always worth a go. I particularly like to try it at dusk or dawn . The neodymium filter can also help at these times but it is slightly less effective I think. Not tried the two together though - but I will now! ?

• Like 2

Thanks for the id chaps, at least now I know which filter we are talking about in addition to the Contrast Booster :smile:.

That's interesting, one vote for the Contrast Booster, one for the Neodymium and one for the two in combination.  That's a dilemma for me.  I've really no spare cash, but if I convince myself I would get some use for the Neodymium then I'd find the dosh somehow.  As we all know, as far as the planets are concerned, every little advantage needs to be taken to eek out every drop of detail.  I'm very tempted now, just to be sure.

I'd really appreciate it if you can try the two together on Jupiter Kerry and post up your findings here.  I'm very intrigued about the possibilities of stacking the two together.

Hurry, please I beg you Kerry, before my finger gets drawn like a magnet to pressing the 'buy now' key on my computer!  Any delay and it could be too late for me.   :laugh2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Neodynium  filter is also my favourite for lunar. Really helps bring out the details and gives the moon a nice neutral colour. No off tinges.  ??

BTW everyone on this forum is always ready to help you empty your bank account. ?

• Like 2

Aaarrggghhh, thanks for that John.  That's even more temptation, the Moon has always been one of my favourites :laugh2:.

I'll be out with the Contrast Booster again tonight, GRS transit at 23.26 BST and Io's shadow which leaves the disc at 23.14 BST.

• Like 2

The Baader Moon and Skyglow filter was the first filter I bought, and I use it for all the planets,

it's the most used filter I have, but I have to admit, I do love our Moon.

I never thought of using it on my binoviewer, must give it a try.

• Like 2

Interesting thread :smiley:

I've used / owned the Baader Contrast Booster and their Neodymium filter, also a few other planetary filters including the Tele Vue Bandmate Planetary filter but, after some time with them, I didn't feel they were adding anything for me. I tried them on Mars, Saturn, Venus and Jupiter and Uranus for good measure.

The Tele Vue filter enhanced the major Jovian features but at the expense of the more subtle ones and also a pink hue that I did not enjoy. The Baader filters were more neutral in terms of adding a tint but I did not feel that they helped me tease out more detail any any of the planets  :dontknow:

I'm just another "data point" though - "You Mileage May Vary" :icon_biggrin: 

I’m wondering if an individuals light sensitivity or eyesight in general makes a difference in what filters work or don’t work for them. I found the Contrast Booster to be of little help but found the Neodynium makes a real difference in detail on Jupiter for instance. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’m wondering if an individuals light sensitivity or eyesight in general makes a difference in what filters work or don’t work for them. I found the Contrast Booster to be of little help but found the Neodynium makes a real difference in detail on Jupiter for instance. 

Our eyesight is a key link in the chain and we are certainly not all the same in that respect, thats for sure.

• Like 1

For Jupiter I regularly use an 80A blue filter. Works a treat I find, and certainly brings out more fine detail. Not tried a contrast booster so can’t say if it is better or worse. The key thing to make sure you do is give the filter time with the seeing as when that seeing snaps into the right spot then the 80A certainly brings out a lot of detail to my eyes. Another plus too is it’s a hell of a lot cheaper too; approx £13 as against £53, plus P&P of course. Kerching! ;) It also seems to work quite well on other planets too, although not as good as Jupiter I find.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johninderby said:

BTW everyone on this forum is always ready to help you empty your bank account. ?

It's a friendly competition of "who dies with the most toys wins"... and we're helping each other to win ? 

10 hours ago, johninderby said:

The Neodynium  filter is also my favourite for lunar. Really helps bring out the details and gives the moon a nice neutral colour. No off tinges.  ??

Personally I use the variable polarizer on the Nagler 31mm and Ethos 17mm with the use of the 2X powermate... that combo has given me the views you describe... BUT I'll have to try the Neodymium on lunar now...

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

Most likely it does.... out eyes are the last refraction before the optical nerve, so it's certain...

beauty is in the eye of the beholder scenario...

• 1 year later...

Sorry about the previous post, it went haywire when I tried to edit it so I've started again - couldn't remove it or I would have done. 

Anyway, contemplating the upcoming favourable Mars opposition made me thing of using the Contrast Booster again which I haven't used for ages.  I never did obtain a Neodymium & IR Cut Filter and re-reading everyone's contributions here I'm being tempted again to obtain one and try on it's own and in combination with the Contrast Booster Filter.

I just wanted to ask if in the 17 months that have  passed since my original post, has anyone anything else to add - particularly those who have already been kind enough to contribute to the thread?   Also, I believe I read recently somewhere about a new Mars filter and wondered how that might have changed things - or not!

Is it still a reasonable thing for me to be contemplating the purchase of the Neodymium & IR ?  It's a lot of money for me so anyone's comments would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Edited by paulastro

Hi Paul. I have both filters and used both on Mars last opposition. The Contrast Booster adds a yellow tint, where as the Neodymium is more neutral and doesn’t seem to add any false colour. With Mars, the yellow tint gives Mars a deeper red colour which is quite nice actually. The yellow tint with the Contrast Booster always bothered me with the Moon and Jupiter. Opinion seems split on which is better on Mars so I’d suggest it’s more down to personal preference or perhaps what suits your eyesight. If the Contrast Booster is working well for you then save your pennies. There’s no shortage of other nice things you could buy :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do enjoy the Neodymium and often just leave it in my diagonal when observing from home as it just acts to cut the LP down without too much impact on colour or visibility of the sorts of objects I see from home.

I've found that it works well on the Moon, Jupiter and Mars, but have been less convinced on Saturn. I did have a Contrast Booster quite some years ago now but don't have one to compare with. I think Neil's advice is probably sound. If you are happy with the Contrast Booster then stick with it and enjoy it. Any gains are likely to be marginal anyway.

• Like 1

Neil / Stu, many thanks for your responses. 

The yellow tint of the CB filter only bothered me if I used it on the Moon when it's not really dark, at other times I was ok with it.  In a sky with any blue I found it too prominent and stopped me using it when the sky was at all blue.  In fact I can't recall me noticing it at other times.  I'll have to try it again as I haven't used it for a while.  Another thing is that I only used it with my binoviewer, though I wouldn't expect this to make much difference.  On Jupiter, as I said in my first post, it made a big difference to my eyes.

I was happy with the CB, but, if apart from the yellow cast the two filters performed with no noticeable difference I would still consider getting the N&IR filter.  The Moon is my favourite object and Ido observe it frequently at dusk and dawn, when I find the yellow cast objectionable.  If the N&IRcut filter is colour neutral  and on all objects they perform the same I would probably use it for much of my observing and perhaps deep sky too.

Bearing in mind what people say and my own feelings, individual differences and preferences probably do play a part.   So, if I bought the N&IRcut I could see how they compare for me on the different planets and the Moon  and I can use them for the objects they show the best.  As the planets and Moon are what I observe the most, the price of a filter, even at the new price, would seem to be a good investment for me. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1