Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi FC-100D v SkyWatcher ED120

It will be interesting Derek. I've made the same comparison (FC100DL in my case so the FL is the same too) quite a few times but I'll wait to hear about your results with interest rather than chipping in any of my findings prematurely :smiley:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

hmmmmmm

The 120mm should win as it is FPL53 and has more resolution ?

The 100mm may will win as it's a Tak ??

The one that will win will be the one that gives me the best view of the sky ?

ill then keep the Tak because I want a Tak ?

10 minutes ago, John said:

It will be interesting Derek. I've made the same comparison (FC100DL in my case so the FL is the same too) quite a few times but I'll wait to hear about your results with interest rather than chipping in any of my findings prematurely :smiley:

Isn’t the DL F9, John? 

I’m comparing F7.5 to F7.4 so not much between them. 

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

Just now, DRT said:

Isn’t the DL F9, John? 

I’m comparing F7.5 to F7.4 so not much between them. 

Yes - I've just realised my boo boo there !

The focal ratio is different but the focal length is the same, doh !

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I reckon it will be pretty close. I'll take John's lead and not comment :)

Ok, but we’re not going to talk about focusers in case you two get a bit rowdy ?

• Haha 6

"this should be interesting" 

Sure will be, Derek, looking forward to reading your thoughts on this one. I'm guessing it's going to depend heavily on the choice of target and the seeing conditions, but I'm sure it will be pretty close in places. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lockie said:

"this should be interesting" 

Sure will be, Derek, looking forward to reading your thoughts on this one. I'm guessing it's going to depend heavily on the choice of target and the seeing conditions, but I'm sure it will be pretty close in places. 

I’m really limited for targets at this time of year Chris. Deep sky just doesn’t work as it is never dark enough here in the summer. Jupiter will be my test object, but it is very low so I need good seeing to take much from any comparison. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DRT said:

I’m really limited for targets at this time of year Chris. Deep sky just doesn’t work as it is never dark enough here in the summer. Jupiter will be my test object, but it is very low so I need good seeing to take much from any comparison. 

Good point, I can't see squat at night currently either, not even the planets with houses, trees etc in the way. Maybe you can do a re match in the winter for more target choice? :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lockie said:

Good point, I can't see squat at night currently either, not even the planets with houses, trees etc in the way. Maybe you can do a re match in the winter for more target choice? :) 

Definitely will vary depending on target so yes, well worth a rematch on DSOs when it is dark!

@DRT has the 120ED earned a permanent reprieve?

• Like 2

Now using my DL with its Q1.6x extender, so effectively a F14.4  1440mm FL

Although the extender was bought to allow longer FL eps, I tried my Tak with the 1.6x and a 14mm Morpheus, then native F9 900mm with a 9mm Morpheus, so almost the same magnification. 

Then my 120 Equinox F7.5 with a Zeiss Abbe 2x Barlow so 1800mm F15 with a 17.5mm Morpheus. Close-as magn to the Takahashi.

Now I am not sure how close my Morpheus eps are in perfection to one another, but used all 3 to keep AFOV consistent. Equinox with the Barlow/17.5 was the winner, DL with extender/14mm was as good as without - but I think the 14mm is marginally better than 9mm.

I have to try the 100 Equinox v DL next, both are F9 900mm, with & without the 2x. That will be a fairer comparison maybe. 

Ongoing evaluations as the year progresses. 

Edited by 25585

1 minute ago, Stu said:

@DRT has the 120ED earned a permanent reprieve?

While I don’t want her to become complacent, I’ve decided to keep her for now as I’ve almost hit my target in clawing back the cost of the Tak and the APM 150. That said, if she doesn’t behave I’ll be real-fitting the SW rings and focuser and sending her down to ABS UK ?

...and don’t you think they look good together? ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DRT said:

While I don’t want her to become complacent, I’ve decided to keep her for now as I’ve almost hit my target in clawing back the cost of the Tak and the APM 150. That said, if she doesn’t behave I’ll be real-fitting the SW rings and focuser and sending her down to ABS UK ?

They look great, you will have three amazing scopes so if you don't have to, no reason not to keep it :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DRT said:

How do the 2 focusers compare, Featherlite v Tak + micro?  

Edited by 25585