Summer solstice with a TEC and a Tak

GavStar

I haven't observed for a few weeks now, but it was our club night last night and this encouraged me to get the scope out for the meeting at Esher.

Given it was the longest day of the year and the planets are quite low, I wasn't optimistic about the evening, but the forecast was for clear skies and a warm evening so at the very least I'd be able to have a nice chat outside with the other members.

Around 10 people turned up and 4 scopes were set up including my TEC160 and Stu's Tak FC100DC. First target was Jupiter with the GRS transit that was occurring at around 10pm. I've looked at Jupiter many times in the past few years with my Tak FC100DF, but not had a decent go on this planet with my TEC yet. Initially seeing was a bit poor (and I guess the scope was cooling down a bit), but immediately in the TEC the GRS was the clearest I've ever seen, burnt orange with a clear white separation between the spot and the SEB. I kept the magnification low, using my Pentax XW 7mm and 10mm (so using magnifications of 110x and 160x). Stu was using his Baader Neodymium filter with his Tak and I was pleased I remembered mine as I think it does improve the contrast. As time moved on, seeing improved and several cloud bands were clear, with a thin one following the GRS. Also 3 dark festoons were readily apparent coming down from the NEB. Despite the seeing being a bit wobbly, I was very pleased with the views through the TEC - probably ranking with some of the best of had in my Tak. The GRS in particular was the clearest and best and most colourful I've ever seen.

So, of course, I was keen to compare views with Stu's Tak. ;) I tried to get broadly the same magnification in each scope and both had the Baader filter in place with both also having Baader BBHS diagonals. My first impression was how much brighter the views in the TEC were, the larger exit pupil giving real benefits here. Also the resolution of the image when seeing improved was very significantly better in the TEC. I found myself straining to see details with the Tak whereas those same details were in view very comfortably with the TEC. I know that Stu's Tak can produce great Jupiter views so it surprised me how much superior the TEC was last night imo (clearly I may be biased given I was hoping for the TEC to deliver, but I'm trying to be objective - Stu did mention that the resolution was much better in the TEC).

I'd had a quick look at Venus and the moon earlier, so moved onto Saturn which was peeping above the treetops. Definitely wobbly rings here. Nice to see Saturn but I think I need to return to it when its a bit higher. By the time it got to a decent height around midnight we were all packing away.

But after those wobbly views of Saturn, I noticed the sky had got relatively dark for Esher (SQM meter said 19.1), so I went summer nebula hunting with the Night Vision monoculars in the TEC. Really pleasing views of the Swan nebula. I've only seen this once on the Isle of Wight in May in my Tak and this time in the TEC with much more image scale it looked incredible with lots of nebulosity billowing out of the swan. The lagoon was amazing in the much darker skies of the IOW, last night it was a bit fainter but still very obvious and plenty of nebulosity which was enhanced with averted vision. The Eagle nebula was clearly an eagle with the pillars of creation visible in the centre.

Then a final scan around the sky before pack up. Eastern Veil was very threadlike, and pretty clear given the skies. The western part is not so good with the NV but still able to be seen - Pickering's triangle is better than the western part with NV and so it proved last night as well. The FOV in the TEC was too small for good views of the North American Nebula, but the gulf of Mexico was clear and bright. M13 high up in the sky was lovely with the propeller obvious. It would have been good to wait for Saturn and Mars but the 6am starts most of us had meant that we did have to pack up then.

So in summary we covered much more than I anticipated and its great to see these summer objects so well already. Really looking forward to the darker nights of August and September. And its very nice to observe in the warm!!

Nice report. It was clear here last night but I couldn't bring myself to get set up. Promised clear here again tonight and it's Friday so will prob get one last look at Jupiter as well before it dips below rooftops here. Saturn starting to come up earlier now though.

1 hour ago, GavStar said:

Really looking forward to the darker nights of August and September. And its very nice to observe in the warm!!

+1, but nice report. And from now the night are getting longer.

Great stuff Gavin, excellent read.

The concept of observing on the longest day struck us both as a little odd, but it was definitely worth it, wasn't it?

I'm not surprised by the difference in quality of the views between TEC and Tak, having seen what it can do on the Trapezium!

Last night I thought the seeing was pretty wobbly, settling down later on. Looking at the moon was like seeing it under flowing water at times. The TEC was clearly delivering better, brighter views with more colour saturation and much better resolution. I guess that is to be expected, additional aperture and a fluorite triplet, it is going to deliver!

For me, the views were lovely, but..... I know that with better seeing the scope will deliver so much more! I've seen Jupiter far better in the Tak than it was last night, so the prospect of the TEC with excellent seeing and Jupiter at higher altitude is something to be waited for with great anticipation. :)

Excellent report Gavin. I'm not surprised at the results from these great scopes but it's nice to read 1st hand reports all the same :thumbright:

Had a good night here last night as well. Saturn was quite steady with my Tak FC-100DL but I was probably observing it a little later than you were.

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Great stuff Gavin, excellent read.

The concept of observing on the longest day struck us both as a little odd, but it was definitely worth it, wasn't it?

I'm not surprised by the difference in quality of the views between TEC and Tak, having seen what it can do on the Trapezium!

Last night I thought the seeing was pretty wobbly, settling down later on. Looking at the moon was like seeing it under flowing water at times. The TEC was clearly delivering better, brighter views with more colour saturation and much better resolution. I guess that is to be expected, additional aperture and a fluorite triplet, it is going to deliver!

For me, the views were lovely, but..... I know that with better seeing the scope will deliver so much more! I've seen Jupiter far better in the Tak than it was last night, so the prospect of the TEC with excellent seeing and Jupiter at higher altitude is something to be waited for with great anticipation. :)

Yes, conditions weren’t ideal. However, the GRS was stunning imo. I’m not sure whether this is because it is a deeper colour and has a clearer separation from the SEB this year compared to previous years I’ve observed it or if is the TEC showing its better colour saturation and resolution compared to my Tak. Either way, the GRS was just popping out like I’ve never seen before. ? I found it interesting that the two new(ish) members saw the GRS immediateky through the TEC when they had never seen it before. 

The cloud bands weren’t as good as views I’ve had with my Tak in the past. I really enjoy not having to strain when observing - that’s one of the aspects I really enjoy about NV - nebulae are just ‘there’ without the need for  averted vision and/or full dark adaption. The TEC gives me a similar ‘no strain’ feeling for planetary viewing compared with the Tak. So yes I’m very excited about the potential when Jupiter is much higher in a few years time. 

23 hours ago, GavStar said:

Really pleasing views of the Swan nebula. I've only seen this once on the Isle of Wight in May in my Tak and this time in the TEC with much more image scale it looked incredible with lots of nebulosity billowing out of the swan.

Sounds like you can see the Swan to the same level as I get up here with 89mm scope :)  (also with NV of course)

The Extreme blackness of the nebulosity coming out of the "hole" of the swan is eye-catching.

23 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Sounds like you can see the Swan to the same level as I get up here with 89mm scope :) (also with NV of course)

The Extreme blackness of the nebulosity coming out of the "hole" of the swan is eye-catching.

I guess the key difference is the larger image scale I can get with the TEC compared with smaller refractors whilst keeping the overall system fast. The swan and surrounding nebulosity really filled the fov

Great report, these quality refractor reports are inspiring to read.  I think summer observing is just as rewarding and much less hassle compared to winter time!

Archived