Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Astronomer Fashion Awards

Littleguy80

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

@Littleguy80 - "This is outrageous. I was declared the winner, I gave a speech and now you guys are trying to still my crown with your superior outfits! You clearly don’t know what a diva I am!"

Your crown is now seriously at risk with this Neil.  It's my after-an-early-hours-still-in-pyjamas-look!

Doug.

Telescope.JPG

See you on the catwalk, Doug!

9FD51E67-3881-48B9-A317-52DB4C90A1A3.thumb.jpeg.10a547c8fb8fa1df0909c8c6af7b02ab.jpeg

I feel such a fool.  All these years I've been observing wearing a pair of old skiing salopettes and a ski jacket.  Gah!  What must people think when they see me?

James

Excellent, that's what its all about, you two would fear no one if alone at a dark site. Now if there was a bunch of us dressed like that, we would definitely have the place to ourselves. 

I've got some.....tribal (no offense intended) costumes made by the family of some of Dad's African friends. They are well-made etc, but for some strange reason I've never gone outdoors in them. :D They have gradually collected, and are worn on special occasions. When nobody can see.

One of them features large amounts of gold braid and an interesting hat which is somewhere between a fez and a firework. I will post some images tomorrow. ? I cant really claim I've worn them while observing, but has anyone worn any of these setups except the OP's Russian hat one! :D 

John

10 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

The monkey outfit/scooby doo of whatever-it-is is ok, but WHAT ARE THOSE ON YOUR FEET ????? 

Red knock off crocs of course! What else would go with a monkey onesie and an eyepatch?!?

7 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I've got some.....tribal (no offense intended) costumes made by the family of some of Dad's African friends. They are well-made etc, but for some strange reason I've never gone outdoors in them. :D They have gradually collected, and are worn on special occasions. When nobody can see.

One of them features large amounts of gold braid and an interesting hat which is somewhere between a fez and a firework. I will post some images tomorrow. ? I cant really claim I've worn them while observing, but has anyone worn any of these setups except the OP's Russian hat one! :D 

John

My onesie are actually my standard observing attire when at home. Heck, I even do the school run in them. Every now and then my wife tries to have me committed ;) 

I'm very tempted to accept the apparent challenge in this thread and wear the most shocking stuff I can next time I go out with the scope. The only issue is--I'm in full view of the other 9 houses on our street where I setup, and their respective respectable occupants. :D 

John

Well I am gobsmacked.  I always wear ski pants and a coat, hat and gloves in the winter, and in the summer I just wear long trousers and make sure my arms are covered to avoid mosquitos.   The people at the astro parties always knew when I was passing in the dark, as my first ski pants used to squeak as I walked, but my new ones don't. 

Carole 

1 minute ago, cloudsweeper said:

Reckon it's a draw Neil - I'm fresh out of onesies and trilbies!

Doug.

I still have my Minion onesie in reserve ;) 

Great stuff, Doug. You’ve kept me entertained :D 

If anyone on here has an interest in astronomy as well as fashion, there are some great views of the GRS right now!

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Wonder what skydivers eat.

Scrambled eggs. Don't ask me why, just think no parachute. :D 

That came out really dark. ?

I have seen pictures of skydivers wearing weird bird-like stuff to make them sort of fly across mountains and things, they'd be annoying for astronomy though as there are "wings" between the arms.

John

28 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

If you say so, Doug...D09B1659-A528-4174-8B36-7144B3EED936.thumb.jpeg.93cfdb85c3da4f7edd41d514d6fc7084.jpeg

You're both doing it wrong, Doug, you're supposed to have the hood up. Neil, where's the hat? tsk tsk

Plus, this onesie came about because my niece called me Tigger when she was a nipper, because she couldn't pronounce John, and I bounce when I walk. So you could say I'm living the part. Dedication, see.

Astrotigger.jpg.63be6c1b56db3a5bb9b8e9da2aa87226.jpg

Clouds here so not a chance of astronomy.

4 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Jaffa cakes, onesie, bathrobes, dressing gowns. 

I'm in the wrong hobby. Wonder what skydivers eat and wear. 

A chap who used to work for me was into skydiving.  May still be, for all I know.  Apparently quite a lot of them wore onesies with dayglo trim.  I can't imagine many of them eat Jaffa cakes though.  Opening the packet must be a bit of a pig at terminal velocity.

James

Archived