SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Astronomer Fashion Awards

Littleguy80

Apparently there were some big fashion awards this month so I thought it was time that the fine fashion sense of the astronomy world was celebrated! Below is my own entry.

Starting with some stylish Skitex boots bringing both warmth and comfort. A pair of fetching grey sweat pants perfectly complimenting the brown fleece hoody. A Russian observing hood adds a certain global feel to the whole outfit. QD gloves and a pair of binoculars are the perfect accessories. A look, that I think you will agree, means this astronomer is best observed in the dark!

C1D21C0D-A725-4FA5-8D4E-7CEF7D8FE660.thumb.jpeg.c528a88ad05dc0a35231606e3c9232ae.jpeg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Now hunch over your 10" tube Dobsonian in your front yard and wait for your neighbors to call the cops on you as a terrorist with a mortar tube.

I feel more self conscious when I’m out with just the binoculars. Especially when looking at a planet that’s just above someone’s house. Would they believe that I wasn’t trying to look through the window!

33 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

I think my sexy fingerless gloves give me a slight edge, Neil......

Doug.

Not on your Nellie. To be a true winner you need a Klein bottle hat, Tom baker scarf and Paddington duffle coat with proper toggles! Seriously this scarf is about 7 feet long.

988501C3-6C54-4C8E-90D6-2920DE2CCEFB.thumb.jpeg.c5136118cebcf0aa3c2f842fad1f9d20.jpeg

Me and the 90s Gold seeing this thread be like:

WIN_20180615_00_21_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.84dd755ec4678bd243a8064832a401c3.jpg

Generic hoodie with shorts and pink headphones (I can win with these): cold in 12 degree heat. Needs to visit barber. This outfit is entirely impractical for astronomy, but isn't it always the most impractical stuff that wins fashion shows? :angel: The annoying this s forgetting how cold I am until its too late. :D 

Why is it that every pair of headphones I've ever had broke except those dreadful 6yr old pink ones! ?

<sounds of shattering convex lenses>

John

Excellent thread ?

I have the boots, hat, astro gloves and even a "Jeep" bum bag for eyepieces, problem is that by the time I've lugged all the gear outside I'm so hot and sweating profusely that I don't bother with any of it. I often end up almost hypothermic because I become engrossed in the night sky and not notice that I'm slowly turning to ice 

2 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

I think my sexy fingerless gloves give me a slight edge, Neil......

Doug.

Stargazer.JPG

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

Not on your Nellie. To be a true winner you need a Klein bottle hat, Tom baker scarf and Paddington duffle coat with proper toggles! Seriously this scarf is about 7 feet long.

988501C3-6C54-4C8E-90D6-2920DE2CCEFB.thumb.jpeg.c5136118cebcf0aa3c2f842fad1f9d20.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Me and the 90s Gold seeing this thread be like:

WIN_20180615_00_21_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.84dd755ec4678bd243a8064832a401c3.jpg

Generic hoodie with shorts and pink headphones (I can win with these): cold in 12 degree heat. Needs to visit barber. This outfit is entirely impractical for astronomy, but isn't it always the most impractical stuff that wins fashion shows? :angel: The annoying this s forgetting how cold I am until its too late. :D 

Why is it that every pair of headphones I've ever had broke except those dreadful 6yr old pink ones! ?

<sounds of shattering convex lenses>

John

This is outrageous. I was declared the winner, I gave a speech and now you guys are trying to still my crown with your superior outfits! You clearly don’t know what a diva I am!

7 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

This is outrageous. I was declared the winner, I gave a speech and now you guys are trying to still my crown with your superior outfits! You clearly don’t know what a diva I am!

You're just jealous because you don't have a klein bottle hat!

@Littleguy80 - "This is outrageous. I was declared the winner, I gave a speech and now you guys are trying to still my crown with your superior outfits! You clearly don’t know what a diva I am!"

Your crown is now seriously at risk with this Neil.  It's my after-an-early-hours-still-in-pyjamas-look!

Doug.

Telescope.JPG

15 hours ago, JamesF said:

A klein bottle hat is certainly quite cool (or hopefully not, perhaps :)

I've also seen a Mobius Strip scarf, but you're clearly already sorted in that department.

James

Quite warm actually, but cool at the same time :)

Funnily enough, I had a Mobius scarf about 20 years ago - after reading the Crow Road.

Archived