Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hoag's Object

John

I ought to state straightaway that I have not seen this object. It's probably just beyond the reach of my 12" scope from my back yard I'm afraid.

I came across it when surfing the web (as you do !) and it struck me as an amazing object. I wonder if any forum members with really large aperture scopes have seen, or glimpsed this magnitude 15 galaxy in Serpens Caput ?

It was only discovered in 1950 and the amazing image below was taken by the HST in 2001. 600 million light years distant and what an interesting object it is :icon_biggrin:

I did find that SLG member Martin Meredith has imaged this in 2015 and here is his report:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/245522-hoags-object/

Here is the HST image:

1200px-Hoag's_object.jpg

its not in Uranometria John, just NGC 5910.

Located just above this so will give this a go at sometime...problem is size of scope as pointed out in the link, still i'll nudge the mob on this and get hunting..clear skies.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived